Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #41
ronn

Default Re: Trunk vs rumble seat...

On behalf of all rumble seat owners, I guess we should be sufficiently insulted.

wickipedia definition of "seasoned" old........................

I was being nice..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #42
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
On behalf of all rumble seat owners, I guess we should be sufficiently insulted.

wickipedia definition of "seasoned" old........................

I was being nice..............
I felt the same way after reading a few of the posts.

I guess if your car came from the factory with a rumble seat, and your “Smart”, you will change the rumble seat to a trunk or even better yet, sell it for a sedan.

I really enjoy all Model A’s and like seeing and talking with the proud owners.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #43
jboggess

My family loves the rumble seat, especially when they like to dress up for the national car tours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rumble Seat.jpg (94.8 KB, 62 views)
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #44
wingski

Hey guys, how did the rumble seat end up with that name?

Mike

P.S. I can’t wait to hear the different answers.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #45
WHN

Rumble seat in USA, Dickey seat in England.

Based on the rear servants seat on a coach or carriage. Out in the open, for one or two people.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #46
frank55a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
P.S. That first beer was Olympia and had four stars on the inside of the label. That meant that I was going to get “Some.” What a joke!

As I recall the mythology behind the "4 stars" was it only counted if you got a girl to sign it. I did save all the "4 star" labels that I got. Oly also was the first beer that I drank. Oly was the beer of choice in the North West at that time, as Coors was next to impossible to get.

I was in the Navy in the late 60s and the only beer I could get out in Hawaii that did not give me a headache was Primo (local Hawaiian beer that tasted like pineapple, and made you appreciate any other beer) and Oly in bottles. During that time I really liked my beer, and in the fall of 68 there was a shipping strike so Oly was becoming a very rare commodity. One payday I stopped at the Pearl Harbor Supply Base package store and low and behold some place they found a full pallet of Oly in bottles. My friend and I invested heavily in Oly "stock" purchasing the full pallet (probably 30-40 cases). We lived on a house boat in the Ali Wai boat harbor and our boat was well stocked with beer. That was a very good in-port period.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #47
wingski

Frank, you made me remember another one.

When I got divorced in 1980, I threw a party for all my friends who had stuck by me. I was going to furnish all the beer they could drink, but there was a brewer’s strike and I couldn’t get any beer. So, I went out to Henry Enry’s winery. It was really called Henry’s, but everyone called it Hen-er-rie En-er-ries, and they made the best rubarb and gooseberry wine in the world. They were all out of gooseberry, so I bought ten gallons of rubarb. You may think that ten gallons was a lot, but wait for the rest of the story.

When my friends started showing up, they all bitched because I didn’t have any beer. However, after a few glasses of ice-cold Henry’s, that all changed. For some reason, my best friend couldn’t make it. However, he made me promise to save a gallon of Henry’s for him. I hid that jug under my kitchen sink and put a lot of stuff around it and made sure that cupboard door was shut tight so it was really hid.

My two dogs were downstairs in the basement, and I had one of those weird hidden stairways that had two trap doors that opened up like an L. I left the first one closed, but left the one that bent to right open and put a barrier in front of it so no one could fall through. There was a flat area where the stairs took a hard right bend down into the basement. All night long there were people laying on the bellies on the carpet in the dinning room petting my dogs who were on that flat area below. The black cocka-poo dogs (Inky and Spud) loved all that attention.

Somehow that jug I had hid was discovered when the wine started to run low, and I actually had to get out my baseball bat and threaten everyone with a busted head unless they left it alone. They did, and later Bob got his jug of wine, but boy did he hear the story of me and the bat.

For a bunch of beer drinkers, those guys and gals sure sucked down that rubarb wine. Amazingly, no one got a ticket or had an accident that night. What a party!

Mike

P.S. I hate to brag, but I tell one hell of a story, and they are all true.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #48
Dodge

I’m partial to rumble seats. I grew up riding around in the rumble seat of a 1931 Auburn.
When it came time to get a Model A Roadster I got one with a rumble seat. Love it
A red neck rumble seat catch is a motorcycle tie down going from the rumble lid to the rear bumper. Or two of them one for each side.
P.S a couple of years ago we were giving rides at an elderly living home and had a 101yr. Old Nun get into the rumble seat for a ride. She remembered rumble seats from her youth and insisted on getting in she did it pretty well.
Dodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #49
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I grew up 30 miles from Olympia, we all called it monkey piss. Rainer was the beer, unless someone smuggled in some coors ( it was illegal in Washington)
Chuck,

We drank Oly because it was cheap and we also drank Coors. I remember Rainier Ale but not the beer.

Speaking of Cheap beer, here in So. Cal. we had Brew 102, they had a brewery with a big sign in L.A. where the I-10 and the 60 freeways intersect near the Olympic Auditorium. Didn't drink it unless there was nothing else to drink.

When I went to school in San Jose, I had a chance to work part-time at the Schlitz Brewery but I figured I'd never graduate if I took the job.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #50
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
P.S a couple of years ago we were giving rides at an elderly living home and had a 101yr. Old Nun get into the rumble seat for a ride. She remembered rumble seats from her youth and insisted on getting in she did it pretty well.
It does put a smile on their face!

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #51
WHN

Smile Re: Trunk vs rumble seat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
It does put a smile on their face!

I have another view of why he’s smiling!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #52
fordf1trucknut

Rumble on both of my coupes.. Our daughters love them.

I added a seat belt to both as well as a removable safety rod to prevent it from slamming shut and put a removable piece of foam over the gutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160905_125430.jpg (59.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 18880115_10209338655647694_3228685718672001330_o.jpg (43.9 KB, 46 views)
30 coupe (traditional hotrod)
31 pickup
38 standard
42 gpw (ford army jeep)
48 f-1
52 f-1
52 f-1 4x4
55 chevy
55 m38a1
56 Victoria
68 bronco
70 land rover
72 club wagon
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #53
31Cabriolet68-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Both of my roadsters have positively locking lids as I have lap/sash retractable belts fitted to top of lid.
Can you post a pic? Thanks
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #54
racingrufus

My friend has a 29 Standard Coupe with a rumble that he leaves open when he parks at shows. He was away from his car for a short time when a 300 + lb. women climbed in his cars rumble seat. It took 3 men to extract her. He was very lucky that no damage was done to car.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #55
KenCoupe

When I bought my 31 coupe, it had a trunk. I thought I would convert it to a rumble seat - everybody did that didn't they? As time went by, and I had other things to fix on the car, I came to appreciate the trunk. I will never convert to a rumble seat. I rode in a friends rumble seat one time. We were going probably 45 - 50 mph. I don't want to do that again. Rumble seats are cool for parades and low mph rides, but I'll keep my trunk.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #56
Tim Ayers

This thread proves once and a for all, to each his own.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #57
ronn

My friend has a 29 Standard Coupe with a rumble that he leaves open when he parks at shows. He was away from his car for a short time when a 300 + lb. women climbed in his cars rumble seat. It took 3 men to extract her. He was very lucky that no damage was done to car.

cant stop laughing!

made my morning thinking about that situation...................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote