Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
RCM

Default Diagnostic please

Hey there guys.
223 six Ford 1956
Yesterday late night I started her in the driveway. She hasnt been driven since Tuesday, so I wanted to warm her up. Weather is pretty fine and hot, so she fired up promplty with a smooth idle, and like this it kept running to normal operating temperature.
I leaned towards the engine bay to check the newly installed oil pressure switch for any possible leaks and as I pushed myself out of there the car INSTANTLY shuts off. I mean, just like someone had turned the ignition key off.
She didnt fire up anymore and I have no spark at the plugs.
I'm gonna look into it later on. I've got no spark, it was and instant shut off so I believe electrical issue.
What could have caused this? Could I have broken something with my hands while pushing myself backwards? Could for instance a coil go bad suddenly and cause this?
Given the symptoms, whats your diagnostic?
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
54vicky

Default Re: Diagnostic please

Rui you can google how to check coil with ohm test.I would pop the distributor cap check points.there is a chance they burned and stuck closed.these are a couple of easy checks.check for power to coil also then power from coil to points.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
RCM

Thanks Barry.
The only thing I did was to replace the lead from the coil to the dizzy, with no results. It was a late, past midnight, and I left it alone.
But it was awkward, since it was an instant shut off, like turning key off ign as I said previously. Felt like I was in the "Christine" movie... but then again she would have smashed me against my workshop!
Now really, I thought I had broken or disconnected something, but not apparently.
I'll build a cheklist based on your comment and on the troubleshooting pages available on the engine's manual and go from there.
Regards.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
scicala

From all of the talk I've seen on Ford Barn about bad condensers (even new ones),
I would try to replace that. Or do the basics, like checking for power at the coil with ign. switch on.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Ole Don

I had a wire come loose at the voltage drop. Another time I opened the hood with the motor running, just after it stopped raining. The water ran off the hood and on to the voltage drop and it toasted itself because of the sudden change of the water hitting it.
Use a test light to see where you have power and where you dont.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
WestCoast

check the resister for the coil, the resister wire may have burnt in two, its usually bolted to the outside of the coil
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
RCM

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll go from the basics elect detection to see where its interrupted and go from there. Whats wierd is the how abrupt is was. Its not like it starting failing.
I'll get back with news later.. I hope.
Regards
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
WestCoast

those resisters quit just like a light bulb, one second they work, next second there dead, usually happens when you turn key on
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Hot Rod Reverend

like Sal the condenser/points gets my vote. It does sound like that is what happened. usually a coil will give some indication of "going bad" ... the condenser - whammo!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
like Sal the condenser/points gets my vote. It does sound like that is what happened. usually a coil will give some indication of "going bad" ... the condenser - whammo!
Dan I think the only time condenser comes into play is when starting acting as a capacitor.should not cause it to shutoff.I agree with coil not just quitting it is possible but unlikely

Last edited by 54vicky; 05-29-2015 at 07:07 PM.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #11
RCM

Hey there guys.

Sorry for the absence. I only fixed it this weekend, but as usual it’s hard to point out a single culprit.

The car is running very good. Better, it never ran this good.

To make a long story short, after running the possible tests, heavily influenced by my lack of auto-electrician knowledge, I replaced the condenser which had some 6 months (remember the thread “Here we go again”). Points were ok. The car didnt start immediatelly since I had cranked it several times before and plugs were wet. So I cleaned them and I got the car running, but with a rough idle. I didnt had any other condenser at hand.

I called an electrician friend and he advised me to try a little spark amplifier module that he mysteriously (to me) called a "Cartier". I was a bit against it, 'cause points are points and they'r simple and trustworthy, but I thought I would give it a try. So out I went hunting for that part. I found it at a used auto-parts store. Doing a little research I found out that the part is in fact a transistorized ignition module produced by a french manufacturer caller G. Cartier.

Installed it with help from the electrician. Its remarkable what it does: lightning large blue spark at the coil’s lead to dizzy, instant start-ups, very nice revving. It must be igniting every particle of fuel/air in the cyls. Beautiful tan at the sparkplugs.

Did I convert it to electronic ignition? I guess.

I can get some shots for you later on.

What do you think? Will this last?

Thanks for your interest.

Regards