Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
ling102

Default running erratic

I recently aquired a 1951 Ford Custom 2dr. V8 3spd. The car starts right up, however, it stumbles. It runs better with the choke part way out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
ling102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: running erratic

Check fuel flow to the carb as the engine is cranked by removing the line from the carb and placing it on a container to catch the fuel. If the flow is low or uneven, there is an obstruction in the line, or at the pickup in the tank. If the flow is good, the carb is the culprit, and will likely need adjustment or a rebuild. If the gas is old or contains particles,
the tank or line is probably rusted. If you have any flexible parts in the fuel line, such as between the pump and carb, the interior of that part may have been compromised by alcohol containing fuel, causing an internal collapse restricting flow.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
petehoovie

Has the your "recently acquired" car been sitting in storage or unused for a long period of time? After a long winters nap, my '53 was awakened to a nasty fuel delivery problem - terrible hesitation and rough idling. I was going to replace the carb with a spare but decided to use some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus fuel additive/conditioner that I purchased from O'Reilly's first. The result was impressive as it resolved the problems.... I drove the car around for about 10-15 minutes and the carb cleared right up. Its been running fine ever since. I'm impressed with this stuff....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
ling102

I forgot to mention, the car has an electric fuel pump, and was on the road last year.
I also used two cans of Seafoam gas treatment.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
donald1950

if it stumbles, make sure the accelerator pump is working. carb might need to be rebuilt...
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling102 View Post
I forgot to mention, the car has an electric fuel pump, and was on the road last year.
I also used two cans of Seafoam gas treatment.
Sounds like, to me.........There is a fuel delivery issue, starting with your fuel pump.......IF it is not operating correctly...the above mentioned "electric fuel" pump is the "FIRST" tip off.....If your stock fuel pump is operating correctly then the "electric" pump is unnecessary. Second as the previous post mentioned.....I would ALSO get my carburetor rebuilt by a competent re-builder.....CHARLIENY here on the FordBarn would be a good start (as well as your fuel pump). Then.....You have a good foundation to start from IF there is any more issue!!!!! JMO ........... IF you're having to pull the choke out 1/2 way then that "Says" you're sucking more air than fuel SO you have to balance that out by restricting air flow!!!! SO Where and why is the AIR to Fuel mix OFF???? Your sucking air from some where your not supposed to be getting it from!!!!! OR Fuel is not getting to where it needs to be in the correct volume SO reducing the air flow reduces the volume of air to fuel mix, increases the velocity of the air to help create more pull from the fuel side (hopefully) and it becomes more in balance!!! SO our carb also sound like it has issues!!!! PLUS sitting for long periods not being run helps neither component.

ALSO you may want to look back in the archives BUT with "electric fuel pumps" you "MAY" also look at what the PSI is the electric fuel pump pumping at.....IF memory serves me.....you should be around 3-4 psi from a stock pump and "MOST" electric pumps are 6-8 psi SO that could be an issue as well SO IF you plan on keeping the electric pump in your system then you may want to look at a pressure gauge and/or a pressure "regulator" as well!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 07-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
ling102

Thank you for all the replies. I will let you know how this turns out!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
ling102

A new carb swap cured the erratic idle. Now...I cannot get motor to idle down unless I physically move the linkage. I have lubricated ALL the linkage parts/joints. I lubricated the bottom of the gas pedal. The carpet is NOT touching the linkage, The return spring is still functioning on the firewall. I cannot find a location where the linkage may be binding. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
Fordestes

try backing off the Idle adj. screw on the throttle shaft where it connects to the linkage, also you may have some mis-aligned butterfly plates allowing the throttle shaft to bind allowing the fuel air mixture to pass through .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote