Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Heavy Duty

Default Ring & pinion

What is the best place to get a 3.25 -1 ring & pinion for my 38 Ford. I have a 4.55 -1 which is way to slow for me. I will also trade or buy outright. Thanks
Heavy Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Ring & pinion

I just bought quality 3.25 set from Van Pelt. They installed without any problems, other than the standard PitA associated with old Ford rear end work. You will also need a set of gaskets that are used to set the bearing preload and gear backlash. Also replace the pinion bearing while you are in there. The other bearings are easier to get to, so if they look good, no need to replace.

I really like the ability to keep up with Interstate traffic without the engine roaring over 3000 rpm. Stop and go in traffic and on hills has not been a problem, but my flathead is bored and stroked to 284 cubic inches, and has a ton of torque. If you are running a tired stock engine, the clutch is going to take a beating. If you are running a V8 60, don't even think of anything taller than 4.11.

Since you are looking for faster, think about upgrading the brakes. Hydraulic conversion for sure, preferably Bendix/Lincoln brakes, at least on the front.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I prefer the 3.54:1 for a stock engine. If it's a light body car the taller ones might be OK but too tall for a heavy car in my opinion.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Heavy Duty

I purchased a 3.25 ring and pinion and other parts you recomended but now need to change the speedometer gear. Have you got any idea what gear i need and where to get it? Thanks i realy apreciate you help. John
Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

17 tooth gear will work in a #18 turtle housing. Brattons Model A Parts sells a 17 tooth gear made in nylon that will work well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Heavy Duty

Checked this out with Bratton's, have you used this combo or know anyone who has used it? I appreciate your advise. Will check to see if i have a 11-39 gear box.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
Checked this out with Bratton's, have you used this combo or know anyone who has used it? I appreciate your advise. Will check to see if i have a 11-39 gear box.
No, I have not personally used that 17 tooth speedometer gear, primarily because I haven't, and probably wouldn't use 3.25 gears in my cars. I do however know folks who have used that 17 tooth nylon gear to correct their speedometer reading when using 3.54 gears with tire sizes larger than 6.00 x 16.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-20-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
drolston

I just put 3.25 gears in my '41 with a strong 284" flathead. I tried the 17 tooth driven gear from Braxton in the stock 19 housing; the speedometer flutters because the driven gear is just barely touching the worm gear on the drive shaft.

Ordered the un-numbered turtle from Mac's, which they swear matches the 18 turtle. The 17 is supposed to work in an 18 turtle. I will report further after I get it installed.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Heavy Duty

Just removed the gear case from my car. It had a 24 marked on it. I counted 24 teeth on gear. That must be the correct gear for a 455 ring and pinion that is in the diff. Your thoughts?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
Just removed the gear case from my car. It had a 24 marked on it. I counted 24 teeth on gear. That must be the correct gear for a 455 ring and pinion that is in the diff. Your thoughts?
I think you are right. That low of a rear end gear indicates that '38 must have originally been delivered with a V8 60 engine. I had a '37 slant back with a V8 60 and it wouldn't pull the hat off your head with 4.11 rear end gears.

What engine do you have and how healthy is it?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #11
Heavy Duty

In 1951 when i first bought car it had a Columbia two speed. You could tell someone robed it because the drive shaft is rusty and axle housings are painted and look fine now. I think the engine can handle the 3.25 because it runs and starts well, steady 150-155 comp.,edmonds dual intake,stromburg 97s,offenhouser heads. Dont know what is inisde engine. If you would like to see it and read about it check this out. htt:/hemmings.com/index.php/2015/07/14/fifty-nine-years-later-and-four-states-away-ohio- man-finds-his- first-car/?refer=news
Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
I just put 3.25 gears in my '41 with a strong 284" flathead. I tried the 17 tooth driven gear from Braxton in the stock 19 housing; the speedometer flutters because the driven gear is just barely touching the worm gear on the drive shaft.

Ordered the un-numbered turtle from Mac's, which they swear matches the 18 turtle. The 17 is supposed to work in an 18 turtle. I will report further after I get it installed.
Follow up post.....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231508

Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
flatheadA

I agree with rotorwrench,I think you will like the 3.54 better,just my opinion
flatheadA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Heavy Duty

Great to see results from diff.and speedometer gear changes. Will order and do what you did. Thanks much