Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
flatheadA

Default valve advice

Hello ,
I have a 8rt in my little AV8 that I've been driving for about 6 years.
A little history before I ask a question.
I never took the engine apart other than the intake to clean out the valley and did a compression test and all the cylinders were close at 95 to 100 lbs.
This has been a strong engine doesn't smoke , overheat or leak (well it may leak a little) but all in all it's been a great running engine.
My problem is in the valves,I'm getting some noise from a couple of the valves,nothing serious but it does give me some concern.
My question,can I just do a valve job,take the heads and intake off.Regrind or replace the seats.New valves,springs,guides and adjustable lifters.
Is it possible to do this,any suggestion.
Thanks in advance for your help.
flatheadA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: valve advice

If it has adjustable lifters, perhaps all it needs is a valve adjustment - which can be done without removing the engine. If it has stock lifters you could also do that without removing the engine. If other machine work is needed you would be better off removing the engine as metal grinding residue would get into the oil, bearings, etc.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
flatheadmurre

All can be done in the car...but itīs not to fun...and grinding valve seats leaves grit where you donīt want it.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Back in the day, it was common to do work like this in situ. Tools to pull the horse shoe clips and valve assemblies were common. A person can use seat cutters instead of grinding tools but you still have to catch the particles before the get into places you don't want them. Valves can be done by a machine shop or replaced as necessary. Seat replacement might not be so easy with the block in the car. That may take machining. If they can still be cut, I'd go that route. If not, you need to talk to a machine shop.

Older engines that have been together for a very long time don't tend to come apart easily so a person would really need those old tools to do this job. A stuck valve guide can be a real problem 50-years after the fact.

As was mentioned, see if it has adjustable tappet followers. They can be adjusted if it's just a loose valve tappet clearance. If it's piston slap or loose bearing clearances making noise then that gets deeper into things.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
flatheadA

rotorwrench,19Fordy
I've heard that the seats in these particular blocks may not be removable seats,I will have to take the heads off to check this.As I stated earlier I've had the intake off and they are not adjustable lifters.

flatheadmurre,
I think I can cover anything up to assure no grindings can get in any where.I would really like to do it in the car.

Thanks for the info.
Please anyone else have experience let me know.
Also is Van Pelts the vendor to go to
Old 09-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

A neway cutter is a real good tool if you want to do it yourself...they fit on an old Black & decker or KO Lee flathead pilot.
When you do it get a set of adjustable lifters...so you donīt have to grind the stems for clearance.
I can cut and install a valveseat in the car with my Kwikway M but it will take a bribe (several beers) before that happens..lol
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
flatheadA

flatheadmurre,
I could make the trip,just don't know how I'd get the car there LOL
Old 09-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The only time removing seats can be a problem, is in aluminum castings but it's not impossible, it's just a bit more risk. 8BA family blocks had hardened seats till 1951. Truck engines generally kept the hardened seats in the exhaust pockets only but car engines lost them all together. Fuel was better quality by the early 50s and it was getting to be just an extra added expense for the manufacturers to put them in there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #9
flatheadA

Thanks for the info.Hopefully I can get it done this winter