Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Ford SA

Default 6V regulator challenges

Good day All,
I'm currently assisting in renovating a Model A (1931) and looking for a solution to regulate the 6V in order to power some 6V indicator LEDs.

I have fitted the LEDs and all works fine when the engine is switched off (stable 6V), but when the engine is running the generator supply fluctuates between 7.5 and 8V, and this input to the LEDs causes them to flicker at a very inconsistent unstable rate.

I've tried to remedy by fitting a condenser but with no joy.

I have also tried using a variable voltage regulator to stabilize the LED supply at 6V, but found that it doesn't work as the vehicle has a Positive Earth/ground.

So my next challenge is to either find a converter of sorts the change the polarity of the input to the voltage regulator (has a Negative Earth) or find a 6V voltage regulator with a Positive Earth.
Perhaps someone knows of an alternate solution? or any other suggestions?
Thanks
Ford SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
big job

Default Re: 6V regulator challenges

I have been checking on these led's thing most can run 6to 24vts maybe you need a
resister not a condenser. My model T has very bright lights with what it was born with.
And I grew up with 6vts. Yes road rage my ole man pulling over and stuffing the passing car with high beams on cause it was blinding in the mirrors. 1946 DeSoto LOL
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
ryanheacox

Most LED bulbs I have seen that work on 6v also work up to 12-24v like big job said. I put a cheap set in my parking light sockets and mine flicker only when the engine is idling. If I raise the RPM so the generator cuts in the lights get brighter and stabilize.

If your lights are flickering at 7.5-8v I would check for weak connections/ ground issues.

Also, welcome to the forum!
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
lildave

You can add a buck/ boost to give you a solid 6v. Something like this. https://www.pololu.com/product/2575

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lildave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Patrick L.

When you say 'flicker', do you mean the lights actually flicker or are you talking about a flash rate that is inconsistent/fast ?

If talking flash rate, then a resistor can be installed or just change a front light or add an additional light [ one or both incandescent]. That will add enough additional load to allow the flasher to fire at a reasonable rate.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildave View Post
You can add a buck/ boost to give you a solid 6v. Something like this. https://www.pololu.com/product/2575

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought one of these to add to a 9V boom-box radio to allow me to have a plug into my car's 12v lighter plug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They can be bought for other output voltages.

Here is one for 9V to 22V down to 6VDC. https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DRO...YGRCQPC5FT5W1T

Joe K
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford SA View Post
Good day All,
I'm currently assisting in renovating a Model A (1931) and looking for a solution to regulate the 6V in order to power some 6V indicator LEDs.

I have fitted the LEDs and all works fine when the engine is switched off (stable 6V), but when the engine is running the generator supply fluctuates between 7.5 and 8V, and this input to the LEDs causes them to flicker at a very inconsistent unstable rate.

I've tried to remedy by fitting a condenser but with no joy.

I have also tried using a variable voltage regulator to stabilize the LED supply at 6V, but found that it doesn't work as the vehicle has a Positive Earth/ground.

And the best place to pick up -6V is from the tail light wire. Then your indicators will light whenever the light switch is operated.

So my next challenge is to either find a converter of sorts the change the polarity of the input to the voltage regulator (has a Negative Earth) or find a 6V voltage regulator with a Positive Earth.
Perhaps someone knows of an alternate solution? or any other suggestions?
Thanks
The lights must be connected to a solid ground; you can't use the ignition switch for grounding as it is interrupted by the distributor points.

Actually, you can use your regulator if you can isolate the LEDs from chassis ground. Simply observe correct polarity on both sides of the regulator.

And the best place to pick up -6V is from the tail light wire - the indicators will light whenever the lights switch is operated.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 09-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Ford SA

Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions, much appreciated !
Will investigate and give them a bash
Ford SA is offline   Reply With Quote