Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
LeonardS

Default Model A weight distribution

I have a 28 closed cab pickup and a 29 Business Coupe that I will hauling together in my 28’ + v-front enclosed trailer. I’m trying to decide if I should load them both facing forward or one facing forward and one facing rear, so I keep the tongue weight at approximately 10%. Do you know what the front to rear weight distribution is on the Model A’s? If they are close to 50/50, then load direction won’t matter.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model A weight distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I have a 28 closed cab pickup and a 29 Business Coupe that I will hauling together in my 28’ + v-front enclosed trailer. I’m trying to decide if I should load them both facing forward or one facing forward and one facing rear, so I keep the tongue weight at approximately 10%. Do you know what the front to rear weight distribution is on the Model A’s? If they are close to 50/50, then load direction won’t matter.
Generally speaking, you can place a floor jack under the transmission drain plug and it will come close to balancing. With that said, I'm not sure that any of us can give you an accurate balance point with your trailer since none of us know the axle placement of your trailer. It would seem believable that the Coupe would be backed in and the P/U be driven in forwards, but if the trailer axles are more rearward, the extra weight of the Coupe may need to be at the back.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
LeonardS

Brent, thanks for your ideas!
Old 03-31-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
whirnot

The pickup is probably more front heavy, but the coupe not so much. My instinct would be to load the pickup first then the coupe. But it is a guess, based on hauling many vehicles, but not two at a time.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

You want most of the weight ahead of the trailer axles or you will have "the tail wagging the dog"! If you can find or rent a scale, weigh the tongue with the cars loaded and adjust accordingly. And, use your equalizing hitch!
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
Jim/GA

I have a small tongue weight scale, called a Sherline LM 2000, that I bought from a trailer supply place. It is designed to measure the tongue weight of a trailer pretty easily as you load it and position the car. I recommend you get one. I use it whenever I load a car for the first time. Once I have it in and positioned where I want it, I make a note for that vehicle on the floor with painter's tape and reuse that spot in the future.

You have a more complicated case, with 2 different vehicles. But once you figure out the order to load and exactly where to put them, you can mark the floor like I do and repeat in the future.

I took my empty trailer to my local feed store and they weighed it for me on their scale. I knew my car's weight. So I could figure out the 10-15% of gross weight that I needed on the tongue and position the car front/back to get it on the scale.

As mentioned by others, I also use a weight-distributing hitch to push some of the tongue weight up to the front wheels (unless you are using a 5th wheel type trailer). The whole rig rides very well this way.

I hope this helps.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #7
LeonardS

It is a 14,000 lb. rated Pace trailer. Empty weight is 6,300 lbs. I will be using an Equalizer Brand, 14,000 lb. rated equalizing hitch. I’m moving 650 miles, so I only need to get it right, one time. I have been looking at the Sherline LM 2000 scale, and will get one ordered. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
txkhog

When I haul both of my cars I back the tudor in first and the coupe in frontward.

This puts most of the weight on the axels and then move forward or backward to balance. Pretty much of the time with only the cars in I center the bumpers on he wheel well boxes.

GDG
txkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkhog View Post
When I haul both of my cars I back the tudor in first and the coupe in frontward.

This puts most of the weight on the axels and then move forward or backward to balance. Pretty much of the time with only the cars in I center the bumpers on he wheel well boxes.

GDG
I won’t have much wiggle room to move them around. About 8” front and rear plus about 8” between them.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
whirnot

One other suggestion, when I moved two A's, and jeep and a Kubota side by side, all in a semi trailer, I put the A's in the middle against each other with a rubber mat draped over the front bumper of the second one. This really made me feel better about having them close together. Then an old tire, in between each of the others, just as a safety should anything move, but they didn't. I moved them 1250 miles that way.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
One other suggestion, when I moved two A's, and jeep and a Kubota side by side, all in a semi trailer, I put the A's in the middle against each other with a rubber mat draped over the front bumper of the second one. This really made me feel better about having them close together. Then an old tire, in between each of the others, just as a safety should anything move, but they didn't. I moved them 1250 miles that way.
Good idea, and I was planning something similar!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #12
motordr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
I have a small tongue weight scale, called a Sherline LM 2000, that I bought from a trailer supply place. It is designed to measure the tongue weight of a trailer pretty easily as you load it and position the car. I recommend you get one. I use it whenever I load a car for the first time. Once I have it in and positioned where I want it, I make a note for that vehicle on the floor with painter's tape and reuse that spot in the future.

You have a more complicated case, with 2 different vehicles. But once you figure out the order to load and exactly where to put them, you can mark the floor like I do and repeat in the future.

I took my empty trailer to my local feed store and they weighed it for me on their scale. I knew my car's weight. So I could figure out the 10-15% of gross weight that I needed on the tongue and position the car front/back to get it on the scale.

As mentioned by others, I also use a weight-distributing hitch to push some of the tongue weight up to the front wheels (unless you are using a 5th wheel type trailer). The whole rig rides very well this way.

I hope this helps.
Hey Jim, thanks for the great suggestion on the Sherline Hydraulic Trailer Weight Scale. I just got it in the mail, a nice unit and comes with a nice Towing Guide booklet too!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #13
HD Rider

Just take them to a grain elevator or truck stop and weigh them. Just the front axle, then the whole car, subtract the front axle weight gives rear axle weight. No more guessing and costs about $10 per car.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordr View Post
Hey Jim, thanks for the great suggestion on the Sherline Hydraulic Trailer Weight Scale. I just got it in the mail, a nice unit and comes with a nice Towing Guide booklet too!
Isn't that a sweet, compact little device? I use it on the trailer often.

You can also use it to weigh each axle of your Model A. Use a floor jack under the scale and lift the front axle off the ground an inch or so. Read that weight. Then repeat on rear axle. Harder to do back there because differential sits lower to the ground. You have to get creative. I first put my rear tires on some 4x4's and then could fit the jack and scale under the axle.

You all be safe out there!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
motordr

Yes, I was thinking that also. All kinds of uses for it. Will also do as the manufacturer recommends and let family and friends borrow it. Here’s to safer towing!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote