Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #21
diomed

Default Re: the new model a ford alternator

There's this one too http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-82001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Not sure what you mean. There is an alternator that is built in a generator case, Powerhouse. and then there are all the rest that look "modern". Is there another one out there?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton View Post
Mike's sells 12 volt field coils http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A10000FC12.html I don't know what else would be needed, and a guy on the e bay sells rebuilt 12v generators.
I did not see that. Guess I should look closer at the other Vendors... Thanks, I will check it out.

I don't like the looks of an alternator on my Model A but one advantage to having a common GM alternator is IF something happens out on the road, most any parts store should have one in stock. Don't think they carry Model A generators.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
duke36

What sold me on the 1 wire alternator, back in the early 1970's , while on a tour, smoke was pouring from the engine compartment due to a stuck cutout. Luckily no damage as a fellow clubber saw it in time. Perhaps the cutouts are better today. No need to adjust the gen. 3rd brush as well, and we also installed battery cutoffs for added insurance.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 PM   #24
jrelliott

Unless you need a large amount of current( over 15 A continuous) the Model A generator is capable of putting out that amount of current. One thing a generator can do that an alternator cannot do is allow you to push start the vehicle or hand crank it with a low or dead battery. Also the alternator will draw a small amount of current when the car is turned off if you do not have a disconnect or pull the fuse on the fuse block if one is installed. Get the generator rebuilt, get a voltage regulator from Tom Wesenberg or one that replaces the cut out and you should have very few problems. The main reason why every car manufacturer went to an alternator was the requirement for much greater amperage in the vehicles. Look at the amperage on the newer vehicles today and they are in excess of 80 amps. A generator that size would be huge.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #26
5851a

Found out there is nothing common about a GM alternator while trying to find a replacement for wife's Blazer (It's hers and she picked it and says it fits). They want to know diameter, are the mounts across or on the bottom, is it clocked at 9 12 or 3. I can't even seen one of the mounts so I can't measure it or figure out the clocking. Going to wait till it dies and dive in.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #27
Keith True

The local parts store here are not even stocking any of the old Delcotrons anymore.The Napa store says they do sell quite a few,but they need the space for the more popular fast moving alternators.If you talk to them before 11:00 AM,you can have one at 1:00.After that you will get it at 7:AM the next morning.I will say that they have been the most trouble free unit I have used on old equipment.I have installed dozens of them over the years.When Fiat-Allis wants over $2000.for the parts to repair a charging system it is a pretty easy decision to buy the big 24 volt Delcotron for $250.and hang it on the bulldozer.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

We also had Fiat-Allis loaders at the yard where I last worked. They also had the GM 24 volt alternators. The guys running them were too lazy to check or fuel up each day, and would often run them dry. When you have an old piece of equipment with a half worn injector pump, it's hard to get them reprimed, and the guys would crank until the batteries were too low to turn them over. This would often burn out the regulators in the alternators.

Like the owner of the alternator shop said, "alternators are maintainers for the electrical needs, they aren't battery chargers", and when you are recharging two large dead batteries, that takes some amps.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #29
Keith True

The Fat Allis I put the alternator on lost the starter from somebody running it out of fuel.Then they churned it over and over until smoke poured out of the starter.I took it to the starter guy we used then,he didn't even open it up.Just shook his head and said no parts available.Fiat Allis wanted $3450.for a new one.I got one for parts from a salvage outfit in the midwest,it had what I needed for $1500.One thing about anything Delco,it is fairly dependable,and quickly available.I know guys like them on the A;s because they feel they can get another one quickly.Problem with that is if they are converted to one wire you are still out of luck buying one at a parts store.Then if you are running one converted to 6 volt positive ground you are even more out of luck.Even if the parts store has a Delcotron in stock they are not going to have a 6 volt single wire regulator and diode plate to convert it over.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #30
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Found out there is nothing common about a GM alternator while trying to find a replacement for wife's Blazer...
Haha, My fault for assuming someone would know the part # and type (usually GM 10SI) of the alternator they installed on their Model A so they could easily replace it...

I didn't think we were talking about every application out there.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-24-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Found out there is nothing common about a GM alternator while trying to find a replacement for wife's Blazer (It's hers and she picked it and says it fits). They want to know diameter, are the mounts across or on the bottom, is it clocked at 9 12 or 3. I can't even seen one of the mounts so I can't measure it or figure out the clocking. Going to wait till it dies and dive in.
Give me the application
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #32
James Rogers

Quote:
Sounds like you need a new part house. The GM alternator does not have seperate mounts that are spread. All IO have ever seen since the early 60's bolt to the head and only have a spacer between the head and mount. Clocking one is just part of the job, kind of like gapping new spark plugs.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #33
Willie Krash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton View Post
Mike's sells 12 volt field coils http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A10000FC12.html I don't know what else would be needed, and a guy on the e bay sells rebuilt 12v generators.
It seems to me that a 6V armature will basically work with 12V FC but turn on speed will suffer as well as output, particularly at slow speeds.
Hope this answered Y-Blockheads question too.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #34
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Krash View Post
It seems to me that a 6V armature will basically work with 12V FC but turn on speed will suffer as well as output, particularly at slow speeds.
In the Ford tractor parts book They show the same armature for the 1958
6V and 12V generator, # FAA-10005-B.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #35
Willie Krash

Dual voltage armatures were used in the early years but abandoned. True 12v armatures came about to address output issues. In fact by the time alternators came about generators could outperform them at idle and off idle.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Krash View Post
Thanks Willie, you did.