Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
John Spragg

Question 1930 Coupe Parcel Shelf

Does anyone know how the parcel shelf is fitted to the body in a 1930 A coupe? Thank You - John from Australia
John Spragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
KGBnut

Default Re: 1930 Coupe Parcel Shelf

I just did the interior of my '30 coupe this week. I'm not sure if you are asking about the parcel shelf itself, or the upholstered parcel shelf cover, so I will try and answer both.

Removing the cover:
Adjust the seat as far forward as it will go to give you room between the shelf and the back of the seat. With a screwdriver, or similar tool, gently pry up the front edge of the shelf cover just a little bit. There may, or may not, be small nails securing the front edge down. If there are nails, remove them. Once any nails are removed, the shelf cover should slide toward the front of the car. Slide it about an inch and a half and this releases it from the clips that hold down the back. The cover should now lift out.

Removing the shelf:
In order to remove the parcel shelf you need to remove several of the interior panels... the piece below the rear window; the curved panels the go from the rear to the side windows; and the panels on either side of the seat, beneath the window.

These panels are originally installed with small nails. Once you remove the back window frame, just gently pry the panels loose, and remove the nails.

The panels along side the seat are a little trickier because the seat is in the way. I would just remove the seat. There is an expandable piece of fabric that goes from the back of the seat to the parcel shelf. Once the cover is off, you should see the back of this piece tacked to the front edge of the shelf. Remove these tacks. Lift out the seat bottom and set it aside. On either side of the seat-frame-bottom you will see six large screws. Remove these screws, then turn the seat adjusting screw, as though you were adjusting the seat forward, until the unit comes free. Get a helper to assist getting the seat frame and back out through the passenger door. You now have access to the side panels, which are held with small nails, like the others, but also two screws in the back.

Once these panels are out, it should be obvious how the parcel shelf is removed. There is a bracket on either side and a wide bracket under the rear window all held in with wood screws.

This is probably a lot more detail than you were looking for, but I hope it is helpful.

Ken
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
John Spragg

Thank you Ken it is the actual shelf - you have been most helpful - much appreciated. John - Australia.
John Spragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
KGBnut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Happy to help. Good luck.