Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
jeffo

Default Windshield Wiper Wire Routing

I am wiring the wiper on a early 28 tudor. We bought the wire from Snyders and I am coming up about 6" short. I came out of the terminal box and came in thru the firewall, then it runs right along the firewall to the passengers side, then it runs thru a grommet on the back (cowl to gas tank clip) then runs forward thru another grommet then up thru the passengers side window pillar and then runs along the top of the window frame and stops 6" short of the of the wiper terminal pin. I can splice in a piece that will not be seen but if I am routing the wire wrong now would be the time to fix it.

Thanks
Jeff
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
JOHN CT

Default Re: Windshield Wiper Wire Routing

Can you run the wire through the drivers side instead of the passengers side. I think you would use less wire
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Jeff,

In visuilizing your routing...it seems to me to be correct...Sounds like your wire is to short as it should go right up to the wiper terminal pin where it is attached with a special clip, A-14471, Windshield Wiper connector assembly.

Also to...Make sure that the wire, when going through the Wire Grommet Supports, that you have the rubber grommets within. There are two more rubber grommets that you should be aware of if you are not already.

The first is a trinagular rubber grommet, A-14590, Windshield Wiper Wire Grommet on the Belt Rail and A-14589, Windshield Wiper Wire Finish Strip Grommet. Both of these are within the passenger side "window" coupe pillar. They to will protect the wire itself.

I thought I had the actual measurement of the wire itself but guess I don't.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
jeffo

I could run it up the drivers side but I think it was originally ran on the passenger side.
I might have to solder in a splice.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
jeffo

Thanks I did miss those two grommets.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
wrndln

I was communicating with a person recently that has an early 28 and the wiper wire was routed differently than later 28's like my Nov 28 special coupe. My late 28 is routed like you are describing. I have the wire installed but no wiper installed yet, so I don't know if I will have a problem you you have - to short. If I do, I will splice the wire. I bought my wiper wire from Bratton's about 5 years ago, but I suspect they all come for the same supplier.

The early 28's had the wire attached to the ammeter, up through a small opening in the top of the instrument panel (the early instrument panels were different than later ones), under the dash to the passenger side of windshield, then under the passenger side windshield pillar garnish then along the slot above the windshield. I don't know when Ford changed from the ammeter origin to the terminal box. I might be able to find the early 28 fellow that told me about the early wiper wire routing, if you have more questions. I hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Tim B.

I installed a wiper wire from Bratton's in my May 29 Tudor a few years ago using what sounds like the same route you used and it was plenty long enough. I'd suggest you measure it and call Bratton's and ask if it's the correct length. You probably aren't the first guy that's called them with a question about a part that's taken a while to get installed. If it is correct I'd look at the routing and if the wire grommet supports are in the correct clamp locations. It doesn't take much path deviation to lose 6" when running a wire. Tim
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
I am wiring the wiper on a early 28 tudor. We bought the wire from Snyders and I am coming up about 6" short. I came out of the terminal box and came in thru the firewall, then it runs right along the firewall to the passengers side, then it runs thru a grommet on the back (cowl to gas tank clip) then runs forward thru another grommet then up thru the passengers side window pillar and then runs along the top of the window frame and stops 6" short of the of the wiper terminal pin. I can splice in a piece that will not be seen but if I am routing the wire wrong now would be the time to fix it.

Thanks
Jeff
Call Tom Jordan at Snyder's. He will take good care of your problem..
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
Tim B.

Whoops! Brain cramp. Meant Snyder's. Tim
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Gary Karr

Depending on how early your 1928 Tudor is, if it is very early, the wiper wire will connect to the discharge terminal of the ammeter and run up and out the top of the instrument panel past an indent in the fuel tank next to the fuel gauge. It then runs behind the dash rail and up the left (driver's side) post, then to the header and to the wiper motor. It is a shorter travel than the later install. Here is a picture of the indent by the fuel gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (55.7 KB, 59 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
wrndln

I wonder why Ford changed from running the wiper wire up the drivers side A pillar to the passenger side A pillar for later cars. It seems to me that the drivers side would have been a more direct route and use a little less wire. I guess we will never know why.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
Farrell In Vancouver

Some where I have a photo of mid 28' tudor and the wire (Blue-Black) ran from the terminal box along the fire wall on top of the tank flange secured with a wire clip, on the drivers side and through a hole with grommet into the car. Inside it traveled along the tank flange through to grommet ring and up the drivers post the across to the wiper. Seemed to make sense to me so I copied that strategy.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #13
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Depending on how early your 1928 Tudor is, if it is very early, the wiper wire will connect to the discharge terminal of the ammeter and run up and out the top of the instrument panel past an indent in the fuel tank next to the fuel gauge. It then runs behind the dash rail and up the left (driver's side) post, then to the header and to the wiper motor. It is a shorter travel than the later install. Here is a picture of the indent by the fuel gauge.
Gary,

That is interesting...Please check out my 28-29 Gas Tank Article...

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/gastan...29gas_tank.pdf

This routing goes to the right.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote