Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #21
daveymc29

Default Re: 12 volts instead of 6 volts?

My bride of sixty plus years has been diagnosed with Sclarederma. This dreadful decease makes her body unable to regulate it's temperature as we move around from warm to cold spots and back. The changes cause a lot of pain, yet she enjoys some outings in the Model A's. Therefore I did the unthinkable and converted a coupe to 12 Volts so I could use an air conditioner. Now we can go out when it's 90 degrees out and she won't be in agony and I can avoid trips to the med centers to get her cooled off an re-hydrated. Not always, but most times. I have learned to "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Some have the nerve to drive an A with an automatic transmission. Have seen his wife do the drag strip with it. Very impressive and they both get to enjoy the hobby.
If 12 Volts is your thing, enjoy it. You may do as you please with your vehicle and I for one, will not condemn you for it. Your relationships with others may vary. Some folks are quite intolerant, and know what is correct for everyone. Let it slide and tell me about your mods. I may even find I want to do one myself.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #22
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
My bride of sixty plus years has been diagnosed with Sclarederma. This dreadful decease makes her body unable to regulate it's temperature as we move around from warm to cold spots and back. The changes cause a lot of pain, yet she enjoys some outings in the Model A's. Therefore I did the unthinkable and converted a coupe to 12 Volts so I could use an air conditioner. Now we can go out when it's 90 degrees out and she won't be in agony and I can avoid trips to the med centers to get her cooled off an re-hydrated. Not always, but most times. I have learned to "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Some have the nerve to drive an A with an automatic transmission. Have seen his wife do the drag strip with it. Very impressive and they both get to enjoy the hobby.
If 12 Volts is your thing, enjoy it. You may do as you please with your vehicle and I for one, will not condemn you for it. Your relationships with others may vary. Some folks are quite intolerant, and know what is correct for everyone. Let it slide and tell me about your mods. I may even find I want to do one myself.
I too am headed for 12V and AC with some brite lights, this will allow my wife and I to enjoy the hobby even more.

Great book "Cap" really enjoyed the read... thanks for sharing.
PalAl
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #23
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
As some have said "there is no need to switch to 12v".

But I agree with Purdy. I too use a Pertronix 12v Flamethrower. And I find it easier to find 12v bulbs, either LED or incandescent. I run 12v amber incandescent bulbs for front turn signals and Ron Francis 125/75 cp headlight bulbs.

Amber incandescent in HL for turn signal. When is the last time you have seen a 6v amber bulb?
Did you wire your lights so the high and low stay on together with the high beams as recomended by RF. If so how did you do the wireing, just ordered those bulbs yesterday.
Looking forward to not fearing the dark country roads at night. No city lights out here.... just dark!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

I used an original type headlamp wiring harness and connected the wires exactly as original . All of my wiring on this model A is connected as original . Everything works well , just like original. I just get better lights , faster cranking , not that I need it but I prefer faster cranking . It is my car !!!!!!! I get a more powerful electrical system .

My reasoning is the same as most auto makers over sixty years ago . Six volts is a bare get by . twelve volt batteries and other electrical components are readily available . I could care LESS what others do to their model A's . A twelve volt conversion has nothing to do with hot rodding , its just a COMMON SENSE improvement that doesn't show . The battery and coil are the only parts that are replaced in my conversion . The coil wouldn't need to be changed if a resistor is used at the coil connection . I chose not to use a resistor and kept the original look and connection at the coil . I did use the Flame thrower coil . I could have used the original or most any six volt coil but prefered a hotter spark . the spark comes from the coil . The Pertronix coil looks just like most replacement coils that others use .

As I've already said , its my car and I'll do with it as I damn please . I post this info for others that may be interested . I realize that my posts are way over some peoples heads . Common sense should tell a person not to even read threads that confuse and irritate . I will continue to do mine as I please .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Did you wire your lights so the high and low stay on together with the high beams as recomended by RF. If so how did you do the wireing, just ordered those bulbs yesterday.
Looking forward to not fearing the dark country roads at night. No city lights out here.... just dark!
Hi PalAL. Even tho I have had the Ron Francis 'Brite Bulbs' for a couple of years now, I have yet to re-wire the high beams. I don't drive much at night so I really don't use high beams. Right now I have the bright filament on the low beams (no rewiring needed, just turn the bulb upside down). I sill need to install a dimmer switch in order to tie the high and low filaments together for the high beam.

I hope that all makes some sense. I think you will be happy with the RF Brite Bulbs. They are BRITE. They focus as original bulbs do.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 AM   #26
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Hi PalAL. Even tho I have had the Ron Francis 'Brite Bulbs' for a couple of years now, I have yet to re-wire the high beams. I don't drive much at night so I really don't use high beams. Right now I have the bright filament on the low beams (no rewiring needed, just turn the bulb upside down). I sill need to install a dimmer switch in order to tie the high and low filaments together for the high beam.

I hope that all makes some sense. I think you will be happy with the RF Brite Bulbs. They are BRITE. They focus as original bulbs do.

Thanks Blockhead, that's just the way I planed on doing it. I too do very little night driving but when I do I want to be able to see.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #27
Jim M

FWIT - stay original! My 2c worth
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #28
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
FWIT - stay original! My 2c worth
Perhaps where you reside you have city lights that make night driving like late afternoon driving..... I don't know?? A lot of us, by choice, live out in the boonies where the only street lighting is provided by the moon! Now I mean to tell ya, it can get very dark out here making driving at night with underpowered headlights very dangerous especially with large wildlife frolicking across the dark road and other vehicles driving at 55 to 75 MPH. It's just not safe, so if you bend your thoughts to think safety, brighter lights, LED lights, third brake lights, turn signals,4 way flashers and seat belts give us hicks a better chance to get out and drive our Model A the next day. Most all of us have something hiding in our A that is not stock.......... it shouldn't matter to anyone, the fact is we all do what we can to enjoy motoring down the road in our "A"
That Sir is "My 2c worth"
And I mean this in a very positive way, enjoy your car.... it's yours to do with as you please.
Some people don't like my hats either.........LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Guy with hat.jpg (5.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #29
Purdy Swoft

Well said , Pal Al !!!!!!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:31 AM   #30
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrene View Post
You're the smart one pal, if I wanted a CB radio, LED lights and a DC player I'd buy a modern car with that stuff in it. A Model A is a terrific car, been driving them since 1948, closest I get to 12 volts is when some guy passes me, that's close enough. Keep it original as ol' Ford made it, well OK, Edsel too, he had a lot to do with it.
Street rod mentality has gone too far folks
warrene
My old "Street Rod" and my Model A.......... I don't think 12 volts, LED's,and seat belts in my Model A make is look like my Street Rod do you? Oh... I use Mobil 1 oil also...... makes it go fast..LOL

These cars belong to individuals who like to make them their cars, that makes em happy. This is a great hobby with a lot of happy people...... well most people..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 Trophy Side.jpg (64.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 058.jpg (85.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #31
barkleydave

Come on Spring! We got nothing better to do but drag up old discussions.

You like 6 volts Great
You like 12 Volts Great

Enough said!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #32
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
Come on Spring! We got nothing better to do but drag up old discussions.

You like 6 volts Great
You like 12 Volts Great

Enough said!
Yes, get em out and drive em safely, enjoy your ride