Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
47Merc

Default Triple Carbs + alternator

I am looking to install a Offenhauser triple carb manifold on a 59A engine with an alternator. The alternator I am using on my single carb set up is a Bosch 85 amp which is great but this will not work with the triples as it is fouls the front carb by about an inch.

One way I thought about doing it is to make adaptor plates which is fairly easy and run the carbs backwards but it does bring up problems with the throttle and choke controls.

Has anyone used an alternator on the offenhauser manifold and if so what type and model number was it? I would rather not use the Offy offset generator mount that they supply as it puts the alternator in the way of the top radiator hose on a 40 deluxe.

Thanks for your input
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
GordonC

Default Re: Triple Carbs + alternator

Hi 47Merc,

IF I can get this to work correctly... I bought an alternator setup which was supposed to be able to work with 3 97's. The person I bought it from description is below and I will see if I can include a picture.

"This GM alternator has been reworked to put out 110 amps. the Speedway Motors bracket was made for a 59A engine but I milled the back side so it would work on an 8BA engine with truck water pumps. I had it on an Offenhauser 3 carb intake. it will clear the front carb and the belt lines up perfectly. I also had to mill the right side alternator mount."

Here is a picture he had of that setup. I currently have it installed on a 4 bbl setup on my 8BA as I didn't want the hassle of trying to set up my 3 carbs on a newly rebuilt motor. Much simpler to start it the first time with a single 4 bbl. I hope this helps.

If you need a picture of the alternator or parts numbers off it I can get that for you. It is a GM 1 wire alternator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OFFENHAUSER 8-BA 001.jpg (76.7 KB, 181 views)
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
drolston

I put Offy triple on the 59A/B in my '41 coupe, which, except for the crank mount fan versus your manifold yoke mount, would be a similar challenge. I am going for the classic hot rod, so paid the $430 for the PowerGen alternator, that looks like a generator. I used the Offy generator offset bracket that puts the generator (alternator) on the left head. The alternator is well clear of the water hose and even with the shorter Champion aluminum radiator, the belt clears the underside of the water hoses by 1/2". Note the plywood pulley alignment device between the Offy bracket and the alternator slide. Not sure why I needed that, but in the finest hot rod "just make it work" tradition, I am good with it. The belt turns maybe 20 degrees over the left water pulley, but that is plenty because the water pump does not offer much resistance.

The other thing I did was to put 2" risers plus phenolic insulators under the carbs. This allowed me to invert the progressive linkage on the left side. Works the same, but pulls the rear carb instead of the front. That makes room for neater looking fuel line banjo fittings on the carbs, and I could even hook up the manual throttle. The carbs stay cooler, are not hidden behind the hoses, and the idle adjust screws are much easier to get to. Had to fab an adjustable throttle rod from the firewall to the center carb on the right side; using end connectors from Speedway and a turnbuckle from Ace Hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThreeStrombergsSinging.jpg (90.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Plywood Pully Alignment.jpg (32.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Three deuces.jpg (87.2 KB, 130 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Jason in TX

There is a kit for that.

https://www.lilypadspeedshop.nl/a-85...nator-bracket/

1949-53 DRIVER SIDE FLATHEAD ALTERNATOR BRACKET
You`ve got your Flathead topped with a row of Strombergs on an Offy intake, but now you have no room for an alternator! This bracket kit can help solve that problem by mounting the alternator on the driver`s side of the engine.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

WE have three Stromburgs on a Edelcrock intake. The Alt is from a Toyota and fit's in front of the first carb with a 1/4 inch to spare. I had to make a special bracket to mount it. I also made 1" spacers for under the carbs, this helped with the linkage as well as supplying a place to tap off for vacuum. Front carb went to the PVC center to the dist and rear to Power brakes, which we didn't use. Carbs are by Uncle Max. Yes, I'm trying to find some pics.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Jason in TX

Another source:

http://www.vintageautogarage.com/193...et-p/3861p.htm

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
Harleymsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
There is a kit for that.

https://www.lilypadspeedshop.nl/a-85...nator-bracket/

1949-53 DRIVER SIDE FLATHEAD ALTERNATOR BRACKET
You`ve got your Flathead topped with a row of Strombergs on an Offy intake, but now you have no room for an alternator! This bracket kit can help solve that problem by mounting the alternator on the driver`s side of the engine.

I ran across one of these old brackets and am thinking about trying to use it to mount a power steering p[ump on my 51 F1. The problem, no instructions. Does anyone have a picture of this bracket installed?
Harleymsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
aussie merc

this is easy offenhauser actually can supply an offset bracket and new studs to suit there are two to choose from left or right head and they will work even with stockers
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
Harleymsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
this is easy offenhauser actually can supply an offset bracket and new studs to suit there are two to choose from left or right head and they will work even with stockers
Do you have a link or part number for these Offy head mounted brackets?
Old 10-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #10
Harleymsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
Edit, I did some research and all I could find was Offy brackets for the 59A flathead not the 8BA/8RT flathead.

Last edited by Harleymsn; 10-24-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
tubman

The 8BA's use an offset bracket that bolts to the front of the manifold, similar to a stock generator. You cannot use the bracket that mounts to the head because of the location of the thermostat housings. 8BA brackets are currently available from Speedway Motors. I believe they are made by Offenhauser. They are also available on the used market, I placed a "Wanted" ad for one on the "H.A.M.B." and had two offers in the next 12 hours. I would suggest trying to find a used bracket, as I believe the Speedway units are overpriced.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
Harleymsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The 8BA's use an offset bracket that bolts to the front of the manifold, similar to a stock generator. You cannot use the bracket that mounts to the head because of the location of the thermostat housings. 8BA brackets are currently available from Speedway Motors. I believe they are made by Offenhauser. They are also available on the used market, I placed a "Wanted" ad for one on the "H.A.M.B." and had two offers in the next 12 hours. I would suggest trying to find a used bracket, as I believe the Speedway units are overpriced.
I already have the bracket to mount the alternator off the front of the manifold, the bracket that I mentioned 916-67915 was specifically designed for the later flathead 8BA. That is what I am looking for a photo or illustration of it mounted. Speedway, honest Charley and several other shops used to sell the kit, but I believe that they dropped it when the new front mount one's were made. As I said in my earlier post, I want to use this bracket to adapt it to mount the power steering pump for my JAG IFS.