Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #21
Johnnydidd

Default Re: Electric Cooling Fan

I had to install a 100 amp alternator to handle the fan and rest of the equipment lights and etc. I found out you cant have it all, I bought highest volume with shroud, worked great in city driving but out on the highway it would heat up. my car is a 53 Victoria with air. I ended up using a 6 bladed fan on a mercury fan base, works great in 90 deg weather in city and 70 mph highway.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #22
41LjH

Running a Spal fan with a thermostat and an override switch. No problems at all. The fan is a "puller" and is installed without a shroud. This is my only fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3219.jpg (65.1 KB, 30 views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
AnthonyG

Go with a Spal, they work well and are very durable. Available on line at Amazon, Summit, Jegs and many other. Available in various CFM value for either supplemental or full cooling. I installed a push 16" 3000 CFM on my '35 and put it between my grille and radiator face mounted to the front of the radiator. Can barely see it and haven't had a problem with the push type. ( liked the idea of hiding behind grill and front of radiator, JMO, but I think they look ugly on the engine side) The thermostat thermocouple will fit inside passenger side upper cooling hose and will allow the hose clamp to seal with no problem. Obviously thermocouple connected to an adjustable electronic thermostat. I put the thermocouple in the radiator hose after trying to use the thermocouple mounted to radiator fins and didn't respond quick enough but works extremely well inside hose.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #24
felix37

I have found that Cooling Components fans have worked best for me. I have run one on my 37 for over seven years and I run mine non stop No thermostat switch..the best thing is that their shrouds fit all the Walker radiators. Cooling Components used to be owned by Vernon Walker and he sold the company about four years ago. The company is going strong and we sell and use a bunch of them here.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
supereal

Electric fans draw a very large current, depending on design, often in the 20-30 amp range. This can tax a stock generator to its limit. We use a starter solenoid to handle the load, controlled with a thermostatic switch. This allows the system to be run by the ignition switch, while the load is connected directly to the battery. We have used this setup when the stock fan can't be used due to insufficient space between the engine and radiator when an engine swap has been done. Many of these fans are used as a crutch when the cooling system won't handle the heat load instead of actually fixing it.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #26
Drbrown

I definitely recommend use of relay(s). Like any electric motor, start-up amperage is higher than when running, especially if you have dual fans (some do). Standard switches are easily over-taxed.

I recommend you go to web site MAD ENTERPRISES Po Box 675, Springville CA 93265 (559) 539-7128 .... good and detailed info posted there .... phone and discuss the issue with them - very helpful. I bought my headlight, fog light and fan relay kits there.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #27
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
I have found that Cooling Components fans have worked best for me. I have run one on my 37 for over seven years and I run mine non stop No thermostat switch..the best thing is that their shrouds fit all the Walker radiators. Cooling Components used to be owned by Vernon Walker and he sold the company about four years ago. The company is going strong and we sell and use a bunch of them here.
Felix, I looked at the web page with their offerings of fans. Which "style" number fits the '37/'38 radiators?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote