Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
glennpm

Default 1932 Roadster - Rear Hood Hinge Bracket?

Hi,

I never had a rear hood hinge bracket so just bought one from Drake. The rear, wide part fits well but the front does not sit down against the cowl. Is the bracket at fault or is there a spacer or something that fills the space?

Thinks,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5322.jpg (41.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5319.jpg (54.1 KB, 162 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1932 Roadster - Rear Hood Hinge Bracket?

Attached are a couple of photos from my "barn find" '32. Unless they changed configuration somewhere along the line it looks like you have the wrong part. I wonder if there is a similar part for later years and they sent you the wrong one. Then there is the "remote" possibility that there was a mistake in the manufacturing.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4283.jpg (68.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4288.jpg (25.5 KB, 119 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
glennpm

Thanks Charlie, those are great pictures. My cowl and firewall were unmolested but it looks like the depression on my firewall is deeper than yours. Looks like I'll need to make a 1/4" thick spacer. I just measured it.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
DavidG

Normally, the Drake reproduction fits fine. Judging from your photos it appears that the flange on your firewall is bent down and is not perfectly parallel with the surface of the cowl top. The other possible contributing factor might be that you are using a reproduction rubber strip between the firewall and the cowl. The reproduction strip is junk and thicker than the original strip which would create a gap between the lip on the firewall and the bottom of the front of the hood hinge bracket.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Krylon32

I've used many Drake rear hinge bracket on several original cars and they all fit fine. I've had to make a few adjustments on the Brookville cars I've built. I agree on the rubber strip being junk!
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
glennpm

Yes, looking at it now, the repro rubber is too thick. I'm stuck with it now and will make a spacer.

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

Glenn, If you keep the hinge higher than you should won't you raise the rear of the hood. Why not trim the rubber to allow the hinge bracket to sit where it should? Also even if you do try to lower it, will the hinge mount clear the two stampings on ether side? I would make it fit like Charlies.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
glennpm

No since the back of the bracket is flush with the cowl as it should be and per Charlie's pics of the original, the back of the hinge will sit correctly relative to the cowl. However the cowl is sitting higher than it should due to the thickness of the rubber. I got the gap down to a little less than 3/16" by tightening the back bracket mount bolts.

The only way to fix the rubber is to lift the body enough to get it out. I won't be doing that unless I must. Wish I knew about this before though!

Thanks

Last edited by glennpm; 12-01-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
glennpm

Well looking at the available gasket seals this morning. Is the one by Drake a true reproduction?

David would you have a picture and thickness of an original? I looked through my "The 1935 Ford Book" but didn't find any text or pictures of it under the cowl sections or rubber parts appendices.

Looks like this has been discussed before too:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104782

Drake's

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=B-35336

Thanks
Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
DavidG

I'm away from my car stuff until late next week. I can provide measurements and a photo of the cross section of it at that time. The original seal is of uniform thickness except for the raised lip on the forward edge, unlike the reproduction. Why the original was not copied is a mystery, but an old one as the faulty reproduction has been on the market for decades.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
glennpm

Thanks David.

Yes even the Bob Drake one has a lip at the back. I just measured at the bottom edge of my cowl and the gasket I have is about 5/16* thick. I got to thinking about this in bed last night and thinking that I may be able to pull out the present one with a slight lift of the body. Since the correct one has no back lip, I may be able to slide a replacement in. In the thread I linked above, someone (rbullockv8) ground theirs down.

It would still be a lot of work to loosen the front body bolts up to allow a bit of freedom so still not sure about doing it. My concern is that I could possibly get too much compression of the firewall welting and rub the inside of the hood there and on the matching firewall surface. It might throw off the correct alignment of the back of the front fenders too.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
DavidG

If you leave the reproduction seal in place, it won't affect the fit of the front fenders as they do not at any point attach to the body. What could result, however, is a hood fit problem. Assuming that your radiator shell is at its stock height in its installed position, your cowl will no longer be at its stock height because of the added thickness of the seal and your hood side panels will not line up properly as the openings for them between the cowl sides and the sides of the radiator shell will no longer be 'square'. Rather those openings for the hood side panels will be a slight parallelogram.

One alternative is to raise the radiator by the same amount as the gap beneath the rear hood hinge bracket, but that will create another unintended consequence, namely that the hood latches will have to stretch further to catch the lips on the hood side panels (assuming that you'll be running a stock hood) and that puts more strain on both the hood latches and the lips on the hood side panels as well as increasing the gap between the bottom of the hood side panels and the tops of the front fender ledges.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
glennpm

Boy what a conundrum this is! I will be running a hood. Measured gap this morning at 5/32"

Thanks David.

Last edited by glennpm; 12-02-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
deuce_roadster

This is why I save the firewall rubber seal, they usually are in good enough shape to re use and they fit. I think the main reason the Drake ones don't work is that the rubber doesn't compress. If it were softer it would probably work fine.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #15
rbullockv8

My original firewall seal was cracked and not savable, so I ordered a new one (not sure from where now, since I'd had it for years before I needed it and no longer had the plastic bag). Like above, it was far too thick, and wouldn't even allow the cowl to slide down far enough to bolt to the frame. I spent an hour or two using a mini belt sander (from Harbor Freight--one of the handiest tools ever) and sanded the hump off the entire new seal until it matched the profile of my old one. That did the trick, but it was a messy job. Not sure why someone can't make a correct seal for these.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
glennpm

Thanks rbullock,

Had you already mounted your body and then jacked it up to put the modified gasket in?

Last edited by glennpm; 12-05-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Thanks David.

Yes even the Bob Drake one has a lip at the back. I just measured at the bottom edge of my cowl and the gasket I have is about 5/16* thick. I got to thinking about this in bed last night and thinking that I may be able to pull out the present one with a slight lift of the body. Since the correct one has no back lip, I may be able to slide a replacement in. In the thread I linked above, someone (rbullockv8) ground theirs down.

It would still be a lot of work to loosen the front body bolts up to allow a bit of freedom so still not sure about doing it. My concern is that I could possibly get too much compression of the firewall welting and rub the inside of the hood there and on the matching firewall surface. It might throw off the correct alignment of the back of the front fenders too.
Without seeing what you have it is hard to tell but any chance you are putting the seal in backwards? There is supposed to be a lip at the front.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
glennpm

Hi Charlie,

I took a picture and then a screenshot with Drake's seal along the side. It is installed correctly I believe. The seal is 9/64" thick per my measurement. If you look closely at the picture you can see a little gap between the "bumps" on the right side within the included triangle.

I have a replacement seal coming to me and will sand it down until I get stock thickness. David Rehor was kind to offer pictures and thickness later this week of an original seal.

Thanks,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail of Cowl to Firewall Seal.jpg (185.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
glennpm

Today I loosened all of the body to frame carriage bolts from the front to the back of the doors where the rear running board brackets are located. I then blocked under the front of the body and alternately jacked each side by hand until I had enough space to pry with a plastic paddle and then pull the center out with pliers. From there I could pull the gasket out along the top to the vertical part of the firewall to body joint.

I'm undecided now on how to proceed. The seal in the vertical sections is tight and I can't get much space to pull the seal out. I believe that I could pull it but don't know if I could get the replacement back in. Maybe if it was warmer, about high 30's in the garage today, and I liberally lube it up with WD40 or tire lube, I could perhaps slide it in. I don't think it will push just down from the top. I think I would have to push it in from the front into the groove.

The other option is to replace just the top section from where the cowl starts the curve around the top pretty much the section I have pulled out in my pictures. That would fix the height of the body and the rear bracket issue but the cowl would still be a little wider than it should be by probably about 1/8" each side.

The gasket that I have in now is .304 or just about 5/16" thick. The bump on the top edge close to the vertical leg and the ones on the bottom are giving this over thickness of 5/16"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5367.jpg (55.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (67.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5380.jpg (64.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5376.jpg (33.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5370.jpg (21.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5374.jpg (46.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #20
hotrodA

Good info here for us new-to-32 guys. Thanks, guys!

But Ol' Bob says, right there in his ad, "an exact copy of the original", which is why I bought his, along with A LOT of other stuff. Guess I had better check mine before I go through all this agony.

@glennpm: that maroon is gorgeous!! Stock color? Do you have a modern code?
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote