Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Zener424

Default Rear hub wheel bearings again, what stops lateral movement?

With all the talk about the new defective rear hub wheel bearings out there (see my previous posts), I have been carefully studying the original Ford A-1225 bearings, where the cylinders are hollow and have spirals cut into them, and the B-1225-A later ones, and the crappy new ones, some with and some without spiral cut cylinders and it all caused me to come up with some technical questions:

What prevents any lateral movement of these cylindrical roller bearings inside the hub? They are installed and placed up against the hub outer axle nut end, then a grease seal is installed set just below the snap ring, then the snap ring is installed. There is considerable space between the grease seal and the bearing and the bearing can move sideways. In fact some bearings have had their pins protruding and the pins have cut into the hub outer end. Should the cage of theses bearings ever spin? Or should the cage be stable and only the rollers spin? If the cage shouldn't spin, is it possible that the original grease seal and bearing fit snug between the snap ring and outer hub end? I know this gets into bearing and hub engineering. Perhaps someone with specific knowledge can chime in. I would also liek to know what the design specs are for the hub. Specifically, what is the dimension from the snap ring to hub outer surface?
Zener424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Rear hub wheel bearings again, what stops lateral movement?

The cage must rotate along with the rollers. Original rollers are made by rolling steel into a spiral form. A little side movement is fine, but nothing should be able to grind on the metal.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote