Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #21
jimTN

Default Re: Barn & shop total sell off ONE LOT only $$$$$$$

I am curious, what is your estimate of what this stuff is worth? I too like the rest of you have lots of stuff stored in blds and semi's. I think if you want to promote this stuff, specifics will help. What year rear end housings, how many and what year engines, are the cabinets full of NOS rings, bearings, gaskets and small units for what? Are there any machine tools like boring bars, valve machines, vats and so on? Just a few questions that would help the sale.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #22
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmek View Post
Im in the same boat currently with 40 yrs worth of model A stuff. Tryied to give it to the local model a club. Most is headed to the shredder sadly
I hate it when they're like that. Too short sighted to see what they might actually need.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #23
tubman

You also have to consider the current state of the economy. He couldn't have picked a worse possible time to try to move his stuff.

I was going to go back to Minnesota and start selling some of my stuff this spring. That is on indefinite hold for now.

I'm going to open another cold one and go sit in the sun. I hear you guys in the northern tier of states are looking at snow this weekend. Talk about "bad times".

Last edited by tubman; 05-08-2020 at 05:34 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #24
19Fordy

Just like Model T parts, as the population decreases, so does the demand. Most folks born in the 60's on up aren't looking to buy that era stuff.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #25
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Just like Model T parts, as the population decreases, so does the demand. Most folks born in the 60's on up aren't looking to buy that era stuff.

Well said . You summed it up nicely !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #26
32phil

Probably should have let the cherry pickers go thru it all and get them to up their offer.
At least they will give an idea of what's there in terms of desirability.
They know what's worth anything and what's not worth the time/shipping.
Unfortunately, as these hoards/collection become available the value will continue to drop.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32phil View Post
Probably should have let the cherry pickers go thru it all and get them to up their offer.
At least they will give an idea of what's there in terms of desirability.
They know what's worth anything and what's not worth the time/shipping.
Unfortunately, as these hoards/collection become available the value will continue to drop.
Lot to be said for this approach.

Father-in-law decided (against some advise) to have a down sizing auction of tools and misc. When all was said and done he could have sold outright five or so items (anvil, torches, air compressor, etc) and given away the other two hay wagons of other tools along with the misc on the ground and been ahead money when the auction fees were totaled up.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #28
Cecil/WV

This is a magnification of my stuff. I can't see anyone buying the whole stash in one lot, outside of a junk dealer. I mean no offense to anyone or the stuff, lots of good stuff!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #29
swedishsteel

Upside of having an auction--you get rid of ALL of it in one day. Downside--you can't draw the number of buyers that want that kind of volume of parts, in other words, supply far exceeds demand. If you want to get supposedly top dollar for all of it, it will take months to inventory and list and advertise and then you'll only sell a fraction of it. It would take a lot of time to set it up correctly for an auction as well. So, one has to make the choice--do I want the dollars, or do I want to spend my time doing something else. You end up with either time or money--everything is a compromise. Went through this in a smaller scale when my parents passed away after living on the same farmstead for 55 years. Took some time sorting through things and tossing stuff that wasn't worth much and cleaned and sorted the rest for an auction. They were well known throughout the community as dad had been the neighborhood welder/on farm butcher/all around fix it man. There were an estimated 1000 people at the sale and the only thing left was a small box of pots and pans that somebody forgot in the hayfield. EVERYTHING was gone. Bittersweet, but it was a task that needed to be done. And my folks never would have imagined there "stuff" would have sold for the amount that it did. Good luck.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:02 AM   #30
deuce lover

Well said swedishsteel.

"Upside of having an auction--you get rid of ALL of it in one day. Downside--you can't draw the number of buyers that want that kind of volume of parts, in other words, supply far exceeds demand. If you want to get supposedly top dollar for all of it, it will take months to inventory and list and advertise and then you'll only sell a fraction of it. It would take a lot of time to set it up correctly for an auction as well. So, one has to make the choice--do I want the dollars, or do I want to spend my time doing something else. You end up with either time or money--everything is a compromise"
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote