Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #21
29spcoupe

Default Re: Best Year for Model A

When I bought mine, the only thing I had to have was a rumble seat. Didn't care about the year. The minute I saw it, I had to have it. Of course now I think the '29s are the best. John
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #22
Baxter

Like others in this thread, it depends on personal taste and what they have in their garage. My father started driving Model A's in 1940 at the age of 16. He passed on last December still owning 2, '31 Coupe and '31 Deluxe Roadster. He always maintained that 30-31s had the nicer lines. Personally I like the fact that Ford provided different bodies and slight changes over the years. I own a 30 Tudor, a Late 31 Wide Bed pickup and a '29 Speedster. I believe they all have their merits.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
The best Model A is the 1931 160-A and 160-B slant windshield fordor sedan. Anyone who says different is obviously overtly biased and cannot be trusted for a proper answer.
Ha, Ha! And there you have it!

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #24
whirnot

I prefer the 28/29 because of the Radiator shape, and I like the look of the 21" wheels.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I prefer the 28/29 because of the Radiator shape, and I like the look of the 21" wheels.
Since there are no facts to point to a "best year", here is my opinion;

Just as whirnot states he like 28/29 for the radiator and wheels, I like the '30's for the same reason.

I also like the blue oval instead of the sliver and black '31's and the lack of visor appears to be like something is missing.

I like the Four doors because of the easy entry and exit and the added "luxury" items the Town Sedan has as well.

So for me, 1930 Town Sedan.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #26
redmodelt

1929 Briggs Town Sedan. Don't much care for them SW and think the 32 was a truck made to look like a car! Now a 33, that is a whole different story.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #27
mrtexas

I'm partial to my early 28 open cab pickup commonly known as an AR. Way more parts are different than later ones than are the same.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #28
DougVieyra

In the last 55 years I have owned multiple cars of each of the four years of production. I also have spent considerable time reading the history of the Ford Motor Company and it's many manufacturing contributors - Like Sorensen, etc.

In reviewing both of these two facets, I have come to three conclusions:

1. The 1928 & 1929 years produced cars of exceptional quality in both material and 'fit & finish'. The 1928 had a number of 'start up' bugs to be worked out. Just like today, I would not want the first year of production, unless very late in the production year. The 1929 had all the exceptional quality of material and 'fit & finish', without the 'bugs' of the 1928 models.

2. After the crash of Black Friday of October 1929, a whole new element entered into all manufactures of all products across America, including the Ford Motor Company. So the new models of 1930, while indeed intering the more modern design norm of the thirties, had to suffer the effects of the Great Depression - a cheapening of materials, and a short-cutting of 'fit & finish'. This reality continued through the 1931 model year.

3. For the 1931 cars, while 'cheaper built' than the '28 * '29 cars, did benefit greatly from four years of Dealer and Service Field feed back, which resulted in a car with engineering improvements as well as improved drive ability, service/maintenance ability and reliability.

- So it is that I have both a late (December) '28 and a late (Jan.'32) '31 Ford Model A. I also like the sporty adventure of an open car, so my '28 is a Phaeton. And I like the sensible practicality of a closed car, so my '31 is a Dlx Coupe. I like the styling of both 1928/'29 and the 1930/'31, so my two cars represent each of those two styles. The '28 I have kept bone stock, factory spec.; while the '31 I have 'supped up' for 60 mph long distance touring.

- Doug Vieyra - Eureka, Calif
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote