Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #41
34pickup

Default Re: Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

Lawson, after all that "practice", did you ever get it right?
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #42
Tim Armstrong

Takes me about a year...if the money holds up. I work on more than one at a time. If I don't have parts for one I can go to another. Currently building a 37 Flatback, 46 convert and a 50 Crosley Hot Shot.

I recently toured the Ford truck plant near Kansas City, they assemble 44 trucks an hour. They are getting the hang of it.

Last edited by Tim Armstrong; 01-04-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: more
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
Gumpy

I have found if your on a budget things do not proceed that fast but swap meets help...the older I get the more I want to do projects which are unaltered and complete! gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #44
Gumpy

simple repairs are easy--ground up restores take time!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #45
Fourdy

I have 2400 hrs in my frame off (frame completely dismantled) build. I did all body work, paint, upholstery and engine except for machining. I kept track daily of the time spent on the car. Did not count bs time or just sitting around.

Arthritis will probably keep me from building another car but still have a few flattys to build.

Fourdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 for upload.jpg (149.9 KB, 21 views)
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #46
Gumpy

About to embark on another project, my limit is about 3 years then i move on to someum else!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #47
B-O-B

Never dun there is always something that I want to change. Have a 68 XR7 Cougar that I haven't touched in 8 years . Just need to put the water pump,timing cover & radiator back in. Someday ,maybe. Hope to get this 34 roadster on the road though it will just be a driver. No more pristine cars for me. I just don't have the energy to keep them looking pretty & I enjoy driving them more than polishing them. The 34 coupe needs work but it runs so I just drive it. Sold off all the others as I didn't want to spend the time to keep them up. Let someone have the enjoyment of doing that.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Ol' Ron

My 47 International KB-1, which I converted to Ford runnig gear baclk in the late 80's. Is now going theough it's third complete rebuild which started in 2010 and should be completed sometime next year, If I last that long. The money ran out along time ago.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
tiger.1000

Took me 62 hours to make a locking hubcap so....."from here to eternity"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epic 008.JPG (159.2 KB, 33 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #50
Shu47

Forever. I am not trying to rebuild actually but just doing little things to keep the old truck running and usable. After all, for me it's the journey not the finishline.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
Ralph Moore

A long time, I'm currently working on three in various stages. A 1961 Comet, a 1947 business coupe , and my long term project, an AV8 1931 coupe, traditional hot rod.
Sometimes gets overwhelming with a full time job as well.
But as said earlier its a getaway from the daily grind.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #52
Gumpy

Smile Re: Amount OF TIME TO BUILD YOUR CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
A long time, I'm currently working on three in various stages. A 1961 Comet, a 1947 business coupe , and my long term project, an AV8 1931 coupe, traditional hot rod.
Sometimes gets overwhelming with a full time job as well.
But as said earlier its a getaway from the daily grind.
thats true Ralph, i forget my worrries when i'm in the shop!
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #53
deuce_roadster

Took me 40 years for a 40 woodie. All that wood takes time! Pics in my public album. My avatar roadster took about 8 years.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #54
Gumpy

A duece roadster is rare,,,,or a 40 woodie, both financially outa my reach but love to have either!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #55
AnthonyG

Really kind-of never ends! Does it?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #56
rg130

I had my 37 5-window coupe for 15 years before I started the restoration. I wanted to wait until I retired before I started the project. I was concerned that I would get it apart and never get back to it. It was a lot of fun learning about these old Fords. It took me about three years to get it done. I,m now working on a 47 Ford Convertible which has a ways to go.
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #57
Sixseven

I started my restoration in 1973. Not done yet, and oh, the car under restoration changed several times so really think that what was/is being restored is me!

From 1940 Buick to 1941 Ford PU.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #58
push_rod

The 1940 Ford Coupe in my avatar took me 15 years to complete (I bought it in 1974, when I was just 15 years old, and finished it in the summer of 1989.). With the experience I gained on the coupe, and having deeper pockets at age 30, it only took 2 years to complete dad's 1940 Ford Tudor (A half-finished project purchased in 1992 from a guy in Arizona.). My 1930 Sport Coupe project is still unfinished (I bought it in 1988, so far I can turn the key and get the starter to turn the motor over, but I still have to compete the ignition wiring before it will fire up!). Unfortunately my parent's health has deteriorated in the last two years, so I spend much of my time assisting them. None of our old cars have moved in those two years; I've non-opped them, and switched the insurance coverage to "comp-only". I don't see myself taking on any more big projects. It will be enough just to try to keep all of the cars, and keep them running.
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #59
rockfla

Ok, I'm 49, I/ve had a V8 Ford (or several) in my life at all times, never without. If your a "true car guy" the restorations NEVER end. We've had something we're working on, collecting parts for, hoping to have a car for etc. etc. etc. all 49 years of my life and hope to carry the torch and pass along at some point to keep the "RESTORATIONS" going. For me, our 37 Station Wagon (which my dad bought when I was one) is a family member and trough out my life that car is in more photo's than not> I even drove my wife of 17 years away from the church and hope to have it ready to drive my daughter away when her time comes. Keep the restorations going!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #60
tubman

I never get done. I am always running into problems that constantly set me back. Witness my last thread on the headlight rings I had so much trouble with. Before that, it took half a day to get the two bolts out that hold the ends of the grille bar to the body. Some of you guys are amazing. I think there is a talent to building cars like there is for music. There are some prodigies that can do it at will, just like some people can sit down and play the piano beautifully after diddling around for a ffew hours. Me? I'm the kid that has been taking lessons for 4 years but still scheduled at the beginning of the recital.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote