Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #21
DougVieyra

Default Re: Comfortable daily mileage for transam trip?

Thirty years ago when my wife and I traveled for thirty days across Western Europe, we planned our trip around the many European Model A owners we had contacted via MAFCA / MARC membership roosters. Many offered us a place to stay, others acquainted us with the highlights of their region. So each day presented us with a new adventure in both regional highlights, local 'tour guides', as well as warm friendships. Sharing the love of the Ford Model A was a great bond that enrichened our trip as well as the many Model A owners across Europe.

Prior to leaving the U.S. , we asked each of our hosts what we could bring from the U.S. to help with their restoration process. That was an 'added value' to the whole trip - both for them as well as for us.

You might want to consider something like the above as part of your trip across America. It sounds like you have a good beginning just by posting here on the FORD BARN Forum - but try the MAFCA / MARC roosters as well. The rich camaraderie of Model A Ford owners is something that is truly rewarding.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #22
Dave in MN

Two years ago, we traveled 49 days in our Phaeton. During this trip, we were on the road 40 days and we traveled 9200 miles. That figures to an average distance of 230 miles per day. I think our greatest mileage in a single day was 340 miles. We stopped along the way at sites we wanted to see but did not dawdle. When we approached 300 miles for a day, we were tired from the open air of a Phaeton.

I would figure about 230 - 270 miles each day and adjust each day based on your planned stops. We always studied what we wanted to see along our next day's path, tried to estimate how long each stop would require and then looked for a motel room that we could reach about supper time. We would almost always book a room the evening before; near National Parks we would book rooms two to three days ahead. Some days we arrived earlier than expected, other days we were driving late to make our motel room. It's all part of the fun of the trip.

The best advice I can give you is from someone else who said the following to me. "Remember, it's the journey, not the destination that makes the trip."

Have a great trip.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 04-19-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #23
SilverGhost

I would say 250 to 300 miles per day. Last October, my wife and I we drove our Phaeton 1930 from Peking to Shanghai (ford.hubacher.org). Per day about 300 miles. Little bit too much. With stopping, talking to people, taking fotos and all other activities I think 200 miles are enough.
Have a great trip
eric
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #24
Slotblog

When I drove my '30 Tudor home to Atlanta from Oregon October before last, our daily mileages ranged from 210 to 340, the latter being before dawn to just after dusk. Part of the calculus when traveling in largely uninhabited areas is figuring out where to stop for the night. No use trying for a 300 mile day if it gets you to where there's no lodging or food!

I would suggest calculating on 200, or perhaps 225, miles a day basis, just to have some 'fudge factor' in case you have trouble, especially if you will have a non-refundable ticket.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #25
mot

I learned a lesson on my cross country run
if you drive until 5-6 you may not find a motel that has vacancies
two years ago we came down from washington and tried to find a room in central oregon about 4 pm,none and they dont post No Vacancy signs there ,so you have to go into each motel and ask for a room
we had to drive almost 100 miles to find the last vacancy
and if that one happened to be full it was 90 miles to the next town ,with no guarantee of a room there either
I always started at the latest 6 AM and drove til 11 or so and looked for a place to eat,around 3 PM than search for a room
then sight see
thats part of the fun
as Rusty says 50 is very scenic
here i was on "the loneliest stretch of highway in the US"
somewhere near Ely Nevada on the Lincoln Highway
there was nothing but desert in all directions for a hundred miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-013S.JPG (28.9 KB, 18 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 AM   #26
pooch

I wonder why time is of the essence?

Do 50 miles a day and see a LOT.

Maybe barners along the route can give advice on things to see along their particular mileage for the day .

I know I can work out a great sightseeing trip over most of south east OZ.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote