Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
jrelliott

Default Electronic Flasher

Found an electronic flasher for those of you that have converted to LED tail lights and front signal lights. This electronic flasher eliminates the need to have a resistor in the circuit to make the flasher work with LED lights. The source is superbrightleds.com. The number is FL3-Red-K and cost $12.95. Should be a direct replacement for the thermal ones used in the aftermarket turn signal kits.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Electronic Flasher

Looks to me as though the FL series [ either 2 or 3 prong] are 12 volt.

#84787 from ledlights.com looks as though it might work

Last edited by Patrick L.; 11-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Yes 12v. That is the one I use. I use the FL-3 because it has a connection for a pilot (indicator) light.
I'm running red LEDs in the rear and amber incandescent bulbs in my headlight reflectors where the parking light was.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Patrick L.

I've tried several of these electronic flashers and none would work because they were all for 12 volt systems. In the last couple years some have been available that claim to work with 6v, but, I have not tried them.

I use a 535 thermal unit with rear LEDs and front incandescents, no need for resistors if enough incandescents are used.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

3-Prong Turn Signal Flasher 535 Relay 6 Volt Vintage Cars Positive Ground
Total: $7.93
Item ID: 391947984660
Seller: yourpartsdirect13(706,273). eBay
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Badpuppy

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-6-v...e-chassis.aspx

Only problem I have with this one is the 1.5 second delay before first flash. A minor problem is it draws a tiny amount of current when idle (as does an alternator regulator), so it can drain your battery when parked for a few weeks.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
redmodelt

Thanks Badpuppy for the link. The Model T is negative ground and they carry the stuff for it too. On of my friends T has very weak lights on the rear and I am thinking about doing some changes for him to get better lights. For my T, the current flashers just don't cut it like the old signal stat's. They flash to quickly on incandescent bulbs. I have read that some A guys have the same issue. After reading some of the post on LED headlights, I am not sold on them, yet.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I've tried several of these electronic flashers and none would work because they were all for 12 volt systems. In the last couple years some have been available that claim to work with 6v, but, I have not tried them.

I use a 535 thermal unit with rear LEDs and front incandescents, no need for resistors if enough incandescents are used.

Same experience though with 12 volt system. Never quite figured out why but went with non-electronic flasher and good grounds at flasher and switch.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
3-Prong Turn Signal Flasher 535 Relay 6 Volt Vintage Cars Positive Ground
Total: $7.93
Item ID: 391947984660
Seller: yourpartsdirect13(706,273). eBay
This is the same flasher that I use.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
CarlG

First off - I'm running 12 volts with an alternator.

Having said that, I've gone thru several ways to confront the issue at hand.

1) When I first bought my pickup, I installed a Signal Stat turn signal kit I got from Sacramento Vintage, along with a RH tail light and cowl lights with turn signals incorporated therein. The flasher that came with the kit worked just fine in that everything was incandescent.

2) Later on I bought and installed the LED rear tail/stop lenses made by United Pacific (from Mike's). The flasher still worked OK, since the fronts were still incandescent.

3) I then tried an Electronic flasher, (can't remember who made it) that worked just fine until I started the engine, then it went haywire. Took it out and put the original flasher that came with the Signal Stat kit. So now everything is back to "normal".

4) I recently converted my cowl/turn lights to LED, and now the original flasher wouldn't work. So I bought the flasher unit -- the same one as jrelliot recommended above, and everything works as it should. Only down side is that this flasher is "silent", so if I want the familiar "click", I'll have to devise something to do that. I do have one of the little beepers that the vendors sell, but I'm not really fond of the sound it makes.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

1) When I first bought my pickup, I installed a Signal Stat turn signal kit I got from Sacramento Vintage, along with a RH tail light and cowl lights with turn signals incorporated therein. The flasher that came with the kit worked just fine in that everything was incandescent.

2) Later on I bought and installed the LED rear tail/stop lenses made by United Pacific (from Mike's). The flasher still worked OK, since the fronts were still incandescent.

3) I then tried an Electronic flasher, (can't remember who made it) that worked just fine until I started the engine, then it went haywire. Took it out and put the original flasher that came with the Signal Stat kit. So now everything is back to "normal".

4) I recently converted my cowl/turn lights to LED, and now the original flasher wouldn't work. So I bought the flasher unit -- the same one as jrelliot recommended above, and everything works as it should. Only down side is that this flasher is "silent", so if I want the familiar "click", I'll have to devise something to do that. I do have one of the little beepers that the vendors sell, but I'm not really fond of the sound it makes.

Superbrightled.com has flashers that make noise.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post

4) Would putting in a load resistor(s) perhaps allow the original flasher to work with the LEDs?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
4) Would putting in a load resistor(s) perhaps allow the original flasher to work with the LEDs?
The vendors sell resistors for just that purpose. Add them in parallel with the bulbs on each side. They waste energy, but the 535 works.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote