Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #41
Thom IV

Default Re: A insurance?

I have used American Collectors Insurance for over 11 years. Very satisified with them. Recommend them to any one. Based on the costs mentioned in this thread, I am convinced they are quite reasonable. Good Luck in your quest.
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #42
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
I use Hagerty because it has restrictions I could live with, but all the specialty insurers have restrictions in the fine print, mileage, modern car, no speed events or hillclimbs, etc. Regular insurance does not have the restricions. When I go to a hillclimb, I add the A to my regular insurance then take it off after the meet. Pay for the additional car for a month then get a refund for the rest.
All insurance policies have restrictions on races or contests. My modern cars all do.

Your modern car policy is primary if you have a wreck, if you have Hagerty. I never bothered asking about the restrictions. Funny, most cars in Michigan have historic plates that restrict usage anyway, but no one cares.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #43
Aerocraft

I have had agreed value for four A's with Hagerty for some time and spend less than $500 per year. My only complaint is that they will not insure the car if I pull a trailer so, on occasion for a year, I have switched back to State Farm for my Coupe knowing that I will be pulling my 1935 Bowlus camping trailer on short trips. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #44
Model A Man

I have Hagerty but am starting to rethink it. Hagerty is doing that 365 days in a model A where it is being use as the eveyday car. It is kinda of a slap in the face to us policy holders that are not allowed to do the same. It's do as I say not as I do. my 2 cents

Last edited by Model A Man; 01-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #45
NoSurf

Another here with American Collectors. My '30 AV-8 coupe and my '64 impala through them. Very happy with their price and service.
NoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #46
fritznbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I have Hagerty but am starting to rethink it. Hagerty is doing that 365 days in a model A where it is being use as the eveyday car. It is kinda of a slap in the face to us policy holders that are not allowed to do the same. It's do as I say not as I do. my 2 cents
Hope and pray that you never have a claim with the Hag. I did, and i wasn't impressed in the least with their service. No return calls, sent me the estimate in a check for $700 less than the repair when if they would have asked, i'd have the insurance co send the check to the shop...and road svc? The nearest contact they have for me is a mere 90 miles away. I was 1 day away from losing my license over their ineptness to not even be capable of notifying S.C. like our state law asks. If it wasn't for my constant gnawing at the bit, i would have been in deep muck over them. You don't know what kind of insurance co. you have until you need them.
fritznbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #47
brum1

Grundy was much cheaper than my modern carrier
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #48
jimnungesser

Send a message via AIM to jimnungesser

I have JC TAYLOR AND THEY HAVE NO MILEAGE RESTRICTIONS.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #49
Grapejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnungesser View Post
I have JC TAYLOR AND THEY HAVE NO MILEAGE RESTRICTIONS.
They may not have mileage restrictions, but they do restrict where and when you can drive your A. For instance, you're not supposed to drive it on an errand. If I want to take my A to the grocery store, I want it to be covered. After just a few minutes on the phone with them, I said never mind and hung up.

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #50
bobgreco

I had Haggerty, but my State Farm agent offerd to do a comparison. I found I got better coverage with State Farm at less cost. I think I pay about $160 per year for $15,000 agreed value.
bobgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #51
Ron in Quincy

When you have a problem thats when you find out how good your insurance is !!!!

When I broke a fan blade and it wiped out my hood and radiator, 110 miles from home, I made a report to Grundy the following Monday hoping to recover my out of pocket expense for the towing charge that exceeded the 100 mile limit on my AAA.

Two weeks later I received a check covering a new radiator, the repair to my hood, my out of packet expense for towing ( AAA used a flat bed trailer to bring me home). Grundy even allowed me for the remove and replace in view I did this work. The end result, and not covered by my insurance, was the fan.

I just added another A on my Grundy insurance Monday; would not even consider going with anyone else. By the way, the only restriction is not using your A for going back and forth to work, otherwise you have unlimited mileage.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #52
shepsvettes

I have Grundy on my 3 Corvettes and my 1930 Coupe. No problems with them, Very satisfied with the price.
shepsvettes is offline   Reply With Quote