Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Exclamation Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

I've gotten a bunch of private messages as of late about this and thought I had better speak up.

Quote:
Question: Is the Ford Barn about stock/restored early Fords?

Answer: YES!

Question: Is the Ford Barn about hot rodded or customized early Fords?

Answer: No... That's not our focus on The Ford Barn. The Jalopy Journal focuses on that stuff.
All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed.

I realize (and I'm sure you guys do as well) that there is no broad line of separation between hot rodded and stock early Fords. This would be easy if there was... But it's important to remember that the Ford Barn focuses on the stock restorations while The Jalopy Journal focuses on hot rods and customs. Sure, we will have some "sidebars" on each site covering more bases, but the general premises remains.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Ryan:
Why on earth Do people think these sites.Have to be so cut and dry. Either / OR.
Life is not that way.This Hobby should be fun not stress a the person out if He or she offending some one With the Question the would like a answer to.
THANKS BILL WZOREK
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
345 DeSoto

Does this mean I'm going to get kicked out of the "Barn"?...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Lanny

It's been said that this site would remain very close to what was allowed on the OLD FordBarn.
I have seen practiclly NOTHING posted here so far that would have been taboo on the Old Barn, so why are a few people getting their undies in a bunch.
You will loose alot of people, with alot of knowledge, and helpfull advice to other members, and that won't do anyone any good !!!!!
If it ain't broke, DON"T FIX IT.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Ray Parson

cant we all just get along
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
George/Maine

This is not about putting a 302 ford engine in a 1940 Ford.
This is about someone with personal problems,and want to make some smoke on other.My car is NOT stock and its about time i go to the HAMB.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Drama sucks... There is never a "right" side in my opinion. Level head folks don't typically get into internet arguments. As such, just report any drama and I'll take care of it.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

As I understand it, there is not a problem discussing juce brakes on a '34 or a 59 AB engine in a '38. I think that is still in keeping with the original cars that are being driven.

HOWEVER, I, for one, have NO INTEREST in a discussion on the availability of engine adaptors to install a Small block Ford in a Early V-8 Car and such stuff. That definately does not belong on this Forum.

Again, Just My Opinion!

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Flathead

Ryan, Thanks for all that you do, I can see that it not easy. This is a nice place to visit.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

Not sure what brought this on. I thought everything was running along pretty smooth.
Just remember "Pobodys nerfect".
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Not sure what brought this on. I thought everything was running along pretty smooth.
Just remember "Pobodys nerfect".
Well said, Ron!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
joe plumber

Guess I will see you guys ,it's been fun .Nothing stock about my Truck .Have a merry one .I guess I got in the wrong place to start off with.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
Ol' Ron

Well my truck isn't stock either. Iy started life as a KB1 international. Engine went bad so I put a 51 Merc engine and trans /rear end. it stayed this way for 5 or6 years untill the rods started singing. Next came a SBC 350/350. That lasted another 5 or 6 years, got tired and I decided to use it as a Flathead test platform, gave it to my grand son and this summer we put a new "K" member and a 42 front suspension.
Engine is a 280ci Flathead EAB heads and cam. this will be a test truck for ecinomy.
I will pass along everything I learn so youse guys can improve your rides
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
32Gnu

Joe,

I hate to hear that you are leaving as you have helped me out on a couple of my posts.. I dont think the intent is to keeep someone off of here that has a modified vehicle, even if it does have a sbf/sbc, but to take that part of it somewhere else..

I think there is a lot of valuable information on body, suspension, frame and engines here. Just have to keep each piece in mind as you post..

If you put late model shocks on your car are you going to booted? I doubt it..

I like this site a lot, check on it daily.. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
Guess I will see you guys ,it's been fun .Nothing stock about my Truck .Have a merry one .I guess I got in the wrong place to start off with.
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Tinker

Geez and I was reluctant to post about my car because it's a 28' fenderless with a 29' engine! My others are 95% stockers and would like to someday have a nice T or an A stock ford.

Hate to see anyone gone and "I" would say it's not about what you own but what gets posted. Many people here are hambers' too. I think they will testify that there is a lot of great early ford guys over there, but you have to wade through the rest of the stuff to find anything on topic. Unlike here. So join both!

Enjoy the barn and the people here. Thanks you guys and you too ryan.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
redfor40

you have to rember it is all free and better then most newspapers
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #17
31chevy

Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one. So here is mine, I am fairly new at the Barn and am restoring 34 pickup to 98% original because I promised the person that gave it to me I would. That said I would hate to see any of you not continue to use the Barn it has been very helpful to me. I have restored two other frame off vehicles,31 Chevy original & 48 DeSoto which I street rodded but kept the body original on the outside. I can drive the DeSoto any where easily, but not the 31 as all of you know the old cars don't handle very good at todays speeds. My pet peeve is when someone chops & channels which ruins, in my opinion the original look that the builder intended. I'm sure I have offended someone out there,if so I apologize. You won't find a site as good as this one for Chevies & Mopar.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Hate to see anyone gone and "I" would say it's not about what you own but what gets posted.
^ This sums it up perfectly ^
I don't even own a Ford but I enjoy this site and most of the people so in my opinion I belong. I do know what I can post here and what I can post on the HAMB. It's not rocket science, just stop and pause for a moment before hitting the submit button and reflect on whether what you just wrote is an asset to the FORD Barn or not.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Karl Wescott

First, Ryan and all the moderators, THANK YOU for doing a great job.

IMHO the lines between restoration/hot rod/street rod/custom are easily blurred. The mechanical issues are seem to be defined for the Ford Barn as "stock" or "period modifications", ie heads, juice brakes, hot water heaters, etc. This is a workable definition. Body issues are often common to all genre's. What fender fits a particular year frame/body does not matter if the car will have an original or late model motor.

A philosophy I have evolved is it is very important for the hot rodder to understand what the "original" is so any modifications are both that, a modification, and have a purpose. Without a baseline of "original" efforts become simply modernistic retro art. I use some of Boyd's later "1932" creations as an example... art: yes, beauty: yes, 1932: ... no.

Anyway regardless of anyone who may want to stretch the rules or complain, Ryan and helpers and those who use the Ford Barn have done a great job in keeping the forum civil and informative.

Thanks
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
345 DeSoto

What LADYHOTRODCRUISER (in #19) said...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
4tl8ford

Well Damn
I sure as hell didn't realize that after reading all the threads on the original Ford Barn.
Boy do I feel like a dumb shit - Thanks for straightening me out there Ryan.
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
1948 Ford F1 Panel (Frame off resto-rod)
1946 Ford Coupe (Basket case)
4tl8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
rotorwrench

I read all of the posts on this 'Notice Thread" and am not surprised that this happened. Somewhere in that gray area between restoration and hot rod there is a wall, even if a somewhat feeble wall. When folks start bouncing off that wall is when the further definition & clarification of these words come out. Thes definitions always lead to a verbal contention between purists and those that want to make there ride better for there own needs, identity, and above all to make life a little easier for themselves in the form of reliability.

Many of the Model A folks are purists but most of the V8 folks are somewhere in between. After all, if you have a question about a V8 in your Model A then you don't go to the Model A forum to ask about it. Point is that it is still a valid Ford Barn question in the V8 section. Plus, there is still a lag on availability of parts for the later Fords that the model A has always comanded a big lead on.

We just have to be mindful of a question that will ruffle the feathers of a purist in either forum and respect that. Personally, I tried the purist route for many years and have found that it made me a little crazy. It's almost impossible to keep one of these old turds going for any kind of daily use without modifying it to some degree. The Model A is and always will be by it's very design, a pain in the ahrs to keep running well or driving safe. After all, it was designed in a different time and place plus it was made for a USA with mostly dirt roads. Humans are lazy by nature and most try to make there life as easy as possible. I'm no exception.

My 2-cents
Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Vergil

I guess I would have to say I am now speechless because neither of my av8's fit into the Ford Barn guidelines. Both have flatheads but modern upgrades (anyway I think they are) so can't post about them. I joined the HAMB in 2005 and have been an alliance member since the first tag. I liked the old Ford Barn and like the new one but I hesitate trying to post on the HAMB or trying to see all the threads from one day to the next that mentions the flatheads, 12 to 15 pages to see all the threads in 24 hours. I will continue reading the posts here and some on the HAMB because of all the knowledge that can be shared. I also belong to Bills flatheadv8.org site which also has a wealth of information and knowledge and I feel very comfortable when posting about my projects. Okay back to speechless.

Vergil

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #24
ford1

lol its amazing what one or two people can do if the complain enough to the right people
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Hamtown Al

Trying to follow stuff on HAMB is a challenge at best because of the high volume on comments.. I mean comments; not any sort of contribution to knowledge whatsoever. Vulgar expressions seem all too common. I'm no prude and far from pure but it gets old and seems a bit immature after awhile. The hamb can be a quick helpful place and has helped me greatly when I was suddenly the new owner of a hemi powered 40 cpe.

The old barn was not just about original restorations by a wide margin. When I put a 36 car front clip on a 40 pkp it was followed by many and updates were REQUESTED if I didn't post progress on a regular basis. The same was true for many others.

Anyway, I wish old cross breds like myself good luck in keeping up with much on the hamb but I'll try. I'll keep my 5 spd project over there but am not getting much feedback in the way of continued interest so am beginning to question whether it's worth it to take and post pics along with an explanation.

I figured the discovery that you could put a 5 spd behind a hemi or a flathead WITHOUT splitting the wishbone would be of great interest to everybody as adding a 5 spd to your stock Ford is getting to be a more common upgrade in the interest of DRIVING your old Ford for long distances without running them wide open.

Enough of the comments. Back to the garage... if I can get it warm enough today!
Merry day after Christmas to all!
Al
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
345 DeSoto

What HAMTOWNAL just Posted struck me...and it makes a LOT of sense. THIS is the place to be, if you've got an "Old Ford". Although I read the HAMB daily (right after this Site), it's getting bothersome to wade through the MIRIAD "comments" rather than any sort of knowledge contribution. Don't get me wrong...I'd be lost with out the knowledge on the HAMB, but there's a LOT to wade through. I have an "old Ford", and THAT's what I'm interested in...things "old Ford". I try really hard to keep my comments/questions old Ford on this Site. If I want answers on Hemi's, 200-4R's, or solving some non old Ford related problem I go to the HAMB Site...which is where it SHOULD be asked. If I have need for old Ford answers, which is what all that other "stuff" is in, I come here. It's very simply asking the right question on the correct Site. After all, even though it's a "Hot Rod", it's still an old Ford, not some bizzare contraption of another make...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
ford1

im probably going to get in trouble for posting this, but if you want a site that welcomes all fords, model A , street rods, or hot rods, they all blend together there, some very smart ford guys there, and they are friendly, come in and post pics and ask any questions you want, and they will get answered with out any attitudes, and no
self appointed site cops, go to Shellys "chevybarn", then click on the non chevy guys room, near the bottom of the page on the left, maybe ryan will let this stay here , if not, fords are fords

Last edited by ford1; 12-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #28
Evil-Eric

I say screw all of it...I use the sites for instant responses to a problem.....But wait....what did I do before the advent of the internet?

Hemmings, restoration magazines,picking up the phone and talking to the people your buying from, and the first hand knowledge from the old timers in my community..

to be honest I think we would ALL be better off without the stupid computor

But in the end Ill still be here asking stupid questions..responding to stupid posts...and just waiting to be kicked off..but im a rebel like that..HAH!
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #29
ford1

LOL ok i see ryan has left my post up about Shellys non chevy guys room on her chevybarn site, so i will press my luck and tell you guys about another site where modified ford posts and pics are welcome, the guys are laid back, smart, friendly and best of all no drama, just a bunch of ford guys taking life one day at a time and enjoying it, try billb's Ford flathead v/8 site come in introduce your self, ask questions and post pics of your project
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Chris in WNC

Wink its really very simple.......

I have already explained this on the Model A board, but here goes again........

when does a car cross over that gray line between being an antique and a hotrod?

"when I say it does"

it's situational ethics at its best

Ryan's doing a darned good job of herding cats here on the FordBarn

Joe the Plumber: don't bail out, stick with us, the moderators will let you know whether you have crossed the line too far.....
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
George/Maine

On 12 -16 at 5:47pm this post was entered.
1940 Ford with a swap from the f.h to a s/b ford
I've got a nice 40 ford sedan with the original f/h engine, wiring etc....that looks like its had it. have been thinking of putting a ford into a ford (302, etc.) the original running gear (trans./rear) is good..anyone have any advice, suggestions...excluding using a chevy s/b....thanks, art.

I think you will be seeing more Hot Rodding in the future.
As the oldie die off.
I'm no kid myself. 1962 when 18 years old the thing was to rip the old flathead out , put a ohv maybe and olds 303 ford 312 maybe a cad.
Restoring cars was realy not heard of.
I stopped the car hobby and was doing other things.
In 1995 got back into cars and there was a lot of stockers,
By 2001 there were very few at the car shows,only the big shows,are where they are today. There isn,t much difference in the looks of a streetrod and a stocker maybe the height.A realy good stocker makes the best street rod.
If you didn,t play with cars in the 60s thats why you don,t like hotrods.
Any way thats what it all about.
George/Maine
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
fordman

WOW, I like this site. A wealth of information! A source unlike any other site. All of you know something I don't know and I am listening; keep talking.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
jnunez1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
As I understand it, there is not a problem discussing juce brakes on a '34 or a 59 AB engine in a '38. I think that is still in keeping with the original cars that are being driven.

HOWEVER, I, for one, have NO INTEREST in a discussion on the availability of engine adaptors to install a Small block Ford in a Early V-8 Car and such stuff. That definately does not belong on this Forum.

Again, Just My Opinion!

Chris

Actually, a guy that goes by hitchhiker gave me a hard time and Ryan sent me an email for it, because i wanted to put F1 steering on my model A...i mean its originally designed henry ford parts....
even tho the parts i mention are pre 1952....its still not small blocks, disc brakes, or power steering...but to him, its all the same thing and its still hot rodding and its not aloud on here.
thanks for clearing me up Ryan....

Last edited by jnunez1955; 12-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.
jnunez1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
jnunez1955

here is the guy that said this site is strictly for all original cars only,

Hitchhiker

Re: f100 steering box conversion for model a
No offense but this is a site about the RESTORATION and ORIGINAL side of model A's. Not about Hot Rods or period correct jalopies. Maybe I am wrong, but You would be better served on the Hamb. I'm there under the same handle and I am building something similar. I do not post about it here as I think it is rude and disrespectful of the Senior(not older, more experienced) members. good luck with the build, I always enjoy seeing a true 90% ford content hot rod.....and buy the Bishop/Tardel book. It will explain everything. Vern also has a little book on steering that you might find helpful.

Matt

Edit: I'm not trying to say you can't or shouldn't post here. just that you might be better served else where. I for one am very interested in your build. But I don't want to cross the lines of what this site is geared for. Sorry if it came across as policing your post. It was just my opinion. Merry Christmas and good luck with the project.

i gave him a hard time for policing my thread.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
Rich Wright

I'm an old guy who hasn't met too many old Fords he doesn't like. Pretty much all vintage car makes as well as vintage airplanes fall into the same category. I've restored a few model A's, One AA and one BB in my lifetime, but now I have a model '30 model A sedan that is a vintage hot rod. I took great pains to build my car with original Ford components, most of which needed to be restored (by me) and/or resurrected from the dead pile. My car has fewer than 30 parts that are not pre '48, and most of those are scheduled to be replaced with vintage pieces. It's powered by a bone stock '40 Merc on it's first overhaul, a '39 trans and late '40s banjo rear end.

I drive it as often as the weather and my tired body allow.

I have a great deal of respect for vintage cars and those who care for them.

I grew up in the body/paint trade and I do absolutely as much of my own work as I can, in my one backyard shop.

There are few pictures in an album on my profile page.... Do I need to run away from here as fast as I can, or can I stick around and learn (and maybe share some info, too).....??
Rich Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #36
Ford46

I think this is one of those subjects that can go on forever without a definitive answer. Ryan stated this forum is intended for original Fords. I think the key is flatheads here in the 1932 - 1953 section. Take Rich Wright for example a Model A with a flathead, flathead questions belong on this forum and any body questions belong on the Model A forum. What doesn't belong here is OHV engines Ford or otherwise (unless Ardun equipped flatheads) or 9 inch rearends, etc. that is just my humble opinion. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and I wish all a Healthy and Happy New year in 2011. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #37
George/Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford46 View Post
I think this is one of those subjects that can go on forever without a definitive answer. Ryan stated this forum is intended for original Fords. I think the key is flatheads here in the 1932 - 1953 section. Take Rich Wright for example a Model A with a flathead, flathead questions belong on this forum and any body questions belong on the Model A forum. What doesn't belong here is OHV engines Ford or otherwise (unless Ardun equipped flatheads) or 9 inch rearends, etc. that is just my humble opinion. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and I wish all a Healthy and Happy New year in 2011. LouB.

May I make a Suggestion.
From what others have said I believe there are more Hot Rodders out there then true stockers.
Why not lump the model t with the As and bring back the orginal,
Ford Based street rod section.
There is very little in the model T section and think most are
street rodders anyway.
George/Maine
New New Year everyone
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
Evil-Eric

^^^^ A all early Ford only hot rod section is a great idea. And one fitting to this site.
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #39
sturgis 39

I would not get too upset. Post your question where you will receive the best answer. Maybe explain why you posted on a certain forum. Some of the monitors are probably in the learning stage and they may not be overly bright. I would not combine the ''a" and "t" forums. The "a" forum has more activity than the early v8 forum. Everybody needs a wheel alignment now and then.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #40
bcharlton

As a FNG, I hope to get some help here as well as the Hamb. I have a steel body original 32 5 window unmolested. It does have a little different suspension and a newer 351 Ford motor. I would like to continue to rely on the help of senior members that have far more experience then I do as I grow in the hobby. I also understand why chopping and channaling early Fords may be offensive to some traditionalts.

I hope I can contuinue to feel welcome.

Brian
bcharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #41
sturgis 39

I use to only go to the early v/8 site. I think the new Ford barn has taken away from their readership. I still check it out daily. A lot of the same names appear on both sites. I like the Ford Barn as it is now.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #42
jnunez1955

all i know, im building a car that focuses on an early ford.
I wanted info on converting my model A box to an f1 1948 box...which is completely appropriate topic.
some people like HitchHiker opted to say that i was rude and disrespectful to try an update my model A with improve performance and reliability and that my question should only be for hamb material.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #43
'36 5W

xxxxxx

Last edited by '36 5W; 01-09-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: conflicting info.
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #44
Ryan
Administrator

Bottom line, this is not and will not be a STREET ROD forum.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #45
BIG MIKE

Talking Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

I'll give clarification, i'll run my Flatheaded Tank over your Old sheet metal cars! LOL
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #46
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MIKE View Post
I'll give clarification, i'll run my Flatheaded Tank over your Old sheet metal cars! LOL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Offer Big Mike, but..... No Thanks...lol

Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #47
BIG MIKE

Cheers LOL
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #48
52merc

well is there a site dedicated for only stock flatheads???????????my 2 cents worth
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #49
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
well is there a site dedicated for only stock flatheads???????????my 2 cents worth
That would be the Early Ford V-8 Club of America website forum.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/index.cfm

TM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #50
MARVIN, CT

I've been working my '52 MGTD with the 60hp engine over the last year or so. I wouldn't come here for MG info but I've gotten a lot of great help here for the engine and transmission. And for that, I say Thanks, FORD BARN. Marv Stuart
MARVIN, CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #51
Teich

I have two 1948 cars first is a Pontiac which i know is a street rod, the other is a Ford not sure where it fits. Ford has a 52 flathead engine merc cam soon three duces,overdrive truck trans look orig. from bottom, 39 Lincoln brakes, is 12v. and every thing else is as Ford made it, so i wonder where it fits? I built the Ford as i could afford when i was 16 which was a longjtime ago (now63) can afford more wizzie stuff now but thought i wouldn't be right,kinda like the way it turned out! The Pontiac seems to be in trouble may have to go! I am quite new here, if it was the post about the 302 into a Forty maybe more should have replied about keeping the orig. engine rebuild maybe some period perf. parts or even a newer flat motor. Also the poster should have read more of the Barn to get a better idea of the type of cars that are here. Thanks Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #52
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Ive been coming to this site for only short time,I love old cars and new, ,Ive gained back a lot of knowledge back that has slipped away,met some nice people,We should try to follow the rules as set, When you quit learning its time for the box, love this site,just a idle thought
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #53
RP36

Hey all, I just joined the other day and already made a good contact and found great stuff that isn't on the Jalopy Journal, to which I also belong. My latest acquisition is a 36 5 window with a 47 motor and some juice breaks, later steering box, etc.. Old modifiers would only be real familiar with this stuff which I'll need help with and the true blue ford guys here really know their stuff. I want to keep it in it's "original" 50's or 60's "stock" condition. I don't want to restore or do a SBC.

So lets keep our cards straight and deal out of the right deck when we post and we will all be better for it.

Great site everyone, I'm glad I found it and by the way sorry if I violated the rule but I didn't properly introduce myself yet: so hey I'm Rob and I also have a stock restored 1930 A. It's good to be here
RP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #54
RP36

Hey all, I just joined the other day and already made a good contact and found great stuff that isn't on the Jalopy Journal, to which I also belong. My latest acquisition is a 36 5 window with a 47 motor and some juice breaks, later steering box, etc.. Old modifiers would only be real familiar with this stuff which I'll need help with and the true blue ford guys here really know their stuff. I want to keep it in it's "original" 50's or 60's "stock" condition. I don't want to restore or do a SBC.

So lets keep our cards straight and deal out of the right deck when we post and we will all be better for it.

Great site everyone, I'm glad I found it and by the way sorry if I violated the rule but I didn't properly introduce myself yet: so hey I'm Rob and I also have a stock restored 1930 A. It's good to be here
RP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #55
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP36 View Post

Welcome

TonyM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #56
TomT/Williamsburg

Sorry, but I just picked up on this thread ....

The Fordbarn was always about flatheads and old Fords - we had different sections for different years and segments of the flathead/Ford hobby and a streetrod section was included. But it was always about putting a flathead or an old Ford back on the road, the trials and tribultions of doing so, and the ups and downs of keeping it there.

Well, I guess that being said and all of what has been said here of what this site is and what it isn't puts me "out of the fold" as well. None of my flattie powered Ford cars are stock by any means w/5-speeds, F100 brakes and steering in my 32, Vega steering in my 40 and an 8 inch rear, and a 4.3V6/5-speed combo going into my early 60s look and feel 40 p-up - I could go on and on.

I always felt welcomed here and at home before but now, having read all of the comments on this thread, I don't feel that any longer. My flathead and Ford experience is based on what I know and build and "stockers" aren't it. I love them and appreciate them but they are not my direct experience which is where I comment from.

I know you have to do your thing Ryan, and I totally respect you for your decision/opinion as to what the Fordbarn is and what it isn't - nothing ever stays the same. But, I no longer fit the mold here. I do agree w/Hamtown Al regarding the use and response on the HAMB for what we like to build, though - the nature of the beast I guess.

No problem, though - I'll continue to lurk and PM folks once in awhile but other than that I'll get back to the garage and place whatever comments on what/how/why I build what I build on other sites ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #57
Scott H

Well I hope the guys who have modified cars and trucks decide to stick around.

Like many have already said in this thread, I'm not signing on here looking for info on street rods or how to put a chevy in my 36 Ford.

But I do find interest and welcome the threads and posts about how to fit something from a later year on to an earlier car. Heck, even if a guy wanted to run a 289 v8 in one of these old cars he would probably have lots of relevant questions about everything else on his car except the new engine. Like how to do king pins, how to rebuild the door innards, what to do with gauges and all sorts of things.

Just because the car has one or two modifications doesn't mean you can't find valuable info here on the rest of the car.

I really enjoy the Ford Barn, and I also log onto the HAMB and MustangsandMore. Mustangs site seems to be the most tolerant, except they also have the Political Pit forum for when the guys want a bit more heated discussion. HAMB makes no bones about expressing their opinions, often in colorful language. That's why I like the Barn and the Mustang site, the moderators are very good about keeping it clean and keeping it friendly.

Ryan - THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU DO TO RUN THIS SITE, it really IS appreciated!

Last edited by Scott H; 01-20-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #58
krowbar39

I'm new to this forum and posted a question regarding replacing a rear end and putting parallel leaf spring in my STOCK 39 Standard. I too want to keep my car correct, but with a few subtle changes, like a "hopped up" 49 8rt, and F1 juice brakes up front. Now I do respect the Ford Barn and it's people and what they want to accomplish. Are my modifications too much for those purists does this make those uneasy. After all these few modifications were not out of the "norm" back in the late 40's or early 50's. If these modifications are not in line with this form then let me know and I will go somewhere else. If what I am doing is o.k. then I don't need "Mrs. Kravits" snooping around and asking why i want to do do this...you know who you are. I would just like an answer to my question......thanks I feel better.
krowbar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #59
Tony Martino

Stockers it's the Barn
Hot rods it's the HAMB
Easy
love 'em both!
My $.02
Tony Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #60
TJ

I say stick around. Your modifications should not be a reason to leave. You are still running a flathead and the rear end change is not much different than a guy running a Mitchell overdrive,converting to 12 volts, or disc brakes for safety reasons.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #61
Dave Mc

Mine started out as a 33 Fordor Deluxe,found in the bottom of a ravine shot and burnt,I cut it all up and put it back together in a new way.it is Ford in every way except now is powered by a fuel injected 302 . I hate to think I am not part of the group because I made some changes along the way,it's all Ford and always will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (88.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg My33Before.jpg (8.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (68.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Dave Mc; 03-12-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: a photo
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #62
walts36

Good job Dave, at least you saved it. It's better that way then laying in a ravine rotting away. Walt
walts36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #63
Dave Mc

Thanks Walt, most of the old stockers are running later model drive trains 59AB's etc. etc . I do have a 29 Oval Window Business Coupe with THE ORIGINAL Engine, but 12 volt and 58 Ford Truck Steering Box ,juice brakes upgrades.if the purists with mechanical brakes,cloth covered wiring and wandering steering were the only ones allowed on this site,it would severely limit the access to information, parts and pieces we can find here.

Last edited by Dave Mc; 02-18-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spellin
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #64
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Eric View Post
^^^^ A all early Ford only hot rod section is a great idea. And one fitting to this site.
One that is only about a ford in a ford which would include souped up flatheads,but would definitely exclude SBCs.One thing I liked about this forum that there wasn't any postings about SBCs conversions.I thought that a later ford into an early ford was a grey area in this forum,but I was wrong Ryan clerified that.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #65
rocket hot rod

I have been on the HAMB for a while now and am new to this forum. Even though my car is not a stocker there are times when I am trying to design in some "Stock" components or to fit/rebuild some original parts. There is a wealth of knowledge here that I just found. In the one day of poking around in here I have already found answers to questions I have.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and site maintenance.
rocket hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #66
kelly.ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one. So here is mine, I am fairly new at the Barn and am restoring 34 pickup to 98% original because I promised the person that gave it to me I would. That said I would hate to see any of you not continue to use the Barn it has been very helpful to me. I have restored two other frame off vehicles,31 Chevy original & 48 DeSoto which I street rodded but kept the body original on the outside. I can drive the DeSoto any where easily, but not the 31 as all of you know the old cars don't handle very good at todays speeds. My pet peeve is when someone chops & channels which ruins, in my opinion the original look that the builder intended. I'm sure I have offended someone out there,if so I apologize. You won't find a site as good as this one for Chevies & Mopar.
My sentiments exactly. Ever notice the hot rod mag's never show how really good a body shop is by putting a chopped and channeled car back to it's original shape. Ever notice how many of these butchered cars are for sale.
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #67
nbrskn

I think those of you who do not restore old cars are missing a big point.
If it were not for the purist you would not have all the wonderful parts
That people like Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, Dick Sparado, Have for sale. These folks are makeing reproduction parts. Parts you cant get from another car to custom your ride .I say thanks to them.And let them who restore have there site and be thankful to them so we can do our thing.
And when we need a reproduction part we can get them
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #68
funrunr

Holy crap! I've been visiting Fordbarn since the late 90's. I thought it was just all Fordbarn, not all Originalbarn. when I was looking to put dropped axle and front disc on my 40, I turned to Fordbarn. I received alot of useful tips, do's and don'ts, but no negative feedback saying I was ruining my car or would be unwelcome here. I bet if I was putting a sbc in it (It's a flatty) I would've received help also. This site is about Fords and loving the classics.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #69
52merc

that was the old ford barn this one is different run by a dofferent person
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #70
badnabor

Come on guys!, I haven't posted much, but I've got an opinion. Any time you discuss these vehicles, you are going to recieve different information. Some if it is relevent to your build & some isn't. As long as the orginal topic is addresed I don't see a problem. Don't me so narrow minded. Even if you don't need any info about engine swaps etc. this time, doesn't mean you cant store it in the 'ole noggin & use it later!
badnabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #71
ED32BB

YOU MEAN A 32 WITH A 50S+ FLAT HEAD SHOULD NOT BE ON THE FORD BARN,IT IS NOT STOCK. IT IS A GOOD THING I GOT HELP STOPPING MY 27T WITH 40 FORD BRAKES, BE FOR THIS RULE CAME DOWN.SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY,MAYBE YOU CAN TRY THERAPY OR REHAB,SO WE CAN BE A HAPPY FANILY AGAIN?
ED32BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #72
jimalabam

I agree with Karl. The Ford Barn is definitely the best site for original or modified Fords. While I am basically "purist", I do enjoy the mods also. Ryan and moderators keep up the good work. If you do not like mod posts, don't read them.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #73
hemisedan

Engine is a 280ci Flathead EAB heads and cam. this will be a test truck for ecinomy.
I will pass along everything I learn so youse guys can improve your rides[/QUOTE]

Better watch out Ron, Ford never made a 280 ci flathead and that would be considered modified, therefore, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME.

I thought car guys got over this crap 30 years ago. I appreciate a nice restored, but with hydraulic brakes for safety and seat belts, but a nicely done resto-rod trips my trigger much better. My 38 is not stock, oh the side rails are, but nothing else under the car. Guess they didn't come with 325 baby hemi's either.

hemisedan
hemisedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Ryan: thanks for the good job, and allthe other people that help,Ive made mistakes, life is a learning experionce,Im still learning,and having fun, Les
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #75
37ford4dr

Interesting thread....... i have been doing this restoration thing for 3 decades now almost 4 actually.....i am always amazed at how quickly we draw lines amongst friends.....a car guy is a car guy,may be they have different interests, maybe they have differnet goals but even guys who change cars dramatically can have really good talent....we as users of the internet just have to be polite when we are in others peoples homes (internet sites) and be respectful of thier rules.....its not like we have trade secrets to protect just questions to ask and knowledge to share, i look forward to many more posts in this forum, bob
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #76
46fordnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
First, Ryan and all the moderators, THANK YOU for doing a great job.

IMHO the lines between restoration/hot rod/street rod/custom are easily blurred. The mechanical issues are seem to be defined for the Ford Barn as "stock" or "period modifications", ie heads, juice brakes, hot water heaters, etc. This is a workable definition. Body issues are often common to all genre's. What fender fits a particular year frame/body does not matter if the car will have an original or late model motor.

A philosophy I have evolved is it is very important for the hot rodder to understand what the "original" is so any modifications are both that, a modification, and have a purpose. Without a baseline of "original" efforts become simply modernistic retro art. I use some of Boyd's later "1932" creations as an example... art: yes, beauty: yes, 1932: ... no.

Anyway regardless of anyone who may want to stretch the rules or complain, Ryan and helpers and those who use the Ford Barn have done a great job in keeping the forum civil and informative.

Thanks
best guess at this but everyone does things as he or she likes them. so lets say someone likes high compression heads or even high flow exhaust or tube shocks.. it may not be as new but to what that person likes or thinks what should be. i know to the purest this is not what should be . but here again it to like not to factory. somethings maybe changed for safety or maybe for easyer operation. i dont think unless you go to pebble beach or something like that any changes should upset anyone . each person has different ideas on how things should be done. this is just my thought on this but if you think about it it does work out this way.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #77
joe plumber

joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #78
hot rod addict

I too am new to the Ford Barn, having recently purchased a '36 5 w. I think this site is excellent, informative, and I thank all for their contributions to make it a better site, and helping new and seasoned alike. We are like the cars we seek. All different, and some with not all our orig. parts, but still insanely interested in this crazy hobby.
I understand you wanting to keep it period correct, but for me it is about seeking, and giving advice for my car, and others to be on the road whatever it has in it.
I'm updating mine so it is safer than when built, you just won't be able to see much of it. Keep up the great work, and don't worry....life's too short......
hot rod addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #79
hiflyer

Default Re: Differing points of view

I am new to this site and again would like to thank Ryan et al for their efforts making this a terrific knowledge resource. First, their is no accounting for taste. Sadly, some people have great taste and some people have little or no taste. Yes, taste is very subjective, and sometimes extremely difficult to define, however, an analogy would be a beautiful Woman. 100 men could look at this very attractive woman, and would be compelled to agree that this Woman was indeed very attractive, even if she was not in keeping with each individuals own taste. This is an exclusive FORD site, thank goodness!. If modifications on a 60 or 70 year old automobile are effected, especially to make it more safe and efficient for serious driving pleasure, then, these "mods" should be looked at in a POSITIVE light. Even the Ford engineers designed "retro fit" motor mounts for installing later Flathead motors in early 1930's cars. Purists might say that it is wrong to have a 8BA motor in a 1934 Ford. Well, the Ford Motor Company thought it was a good idea. All these old cars, with very few exceptions, were designed to be driven at what we would now consider to be "slow" speeds on unimproved or rough roads. Many old cars rode like "buckboards" by today's standards. The bodies and frames were "rust" just waiting to happen. The early Lacquer paints gave little protection against the "armies" of rust and corrosion, never mind impact damage from all the rocks on the roads, and quite frankly, I think it is a tribute to the early Ford mechanics that many of these cars survived as long as they have. With apologies to those that have already done it, I have to say PLEASE, NO SBC in Fords! If one has to have a "modern" engine for efficiency and practicality, the last time I checked, FORD makes very efficient and powerful engines that work well and last a long time! Again thanks to the site. HIFLYER
hiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #80
Poor Boys Garage

I can understand the keeping the Ford Barn for restoration purposes but its sometimes hard to get any where with the H.A.M.B, sometimes its a jumbled mess. It needs to be broke down just like the Ford Barn is, into categories. When I have questions related to using a 40's frontend I would perfer to go to that section related to the 40's just like here instead of such a broad category the H.A.M.B offers. It would make things so much easier in my opinion.
Poor Boys Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 AM   #81
kiwi88

Bloody hell guys this ones been on the go for nearly a year now. I haven't contributed much by way of posts etc, but in the time I have been a member I have received a lot of help from many of you, both stock and modified. There is a wealth of knowledge out there that to be shared and as someone said at the start of this thread, can't we all just get along.......
kiwi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #82
Junknshit
Banned

Default Re: Hey Fellas... LETS ALL GET ALONG

I am one of the newest members on here, and stumbled across it by accident. It is to me the best Ford forums site that I have ever seen, in the way it is organized, the wealth of information available, and the quality and caliber of members. There is an extreme wealth in information here that NEEDS to be handed down or passed on, to keep this hobby, or for me "addiction" going into future generations. No one needs to leave the site, all that needs to be done is for common sense to prevail.

There is nowhere on earth that you could buy a book, or a set of books that would contain half of the information that is available here simply by asking a question, AND, there is still a tremendous amount of information yet to come. The right questions just haven't been asked yet. This information comes from experience, trial and error, it's locked in minds, it's written down on old notes, and it comes from parts manufacturers and suppliers.

I am definitely not an expert on anything, but have been messing with old cars since I was 13, actually earlier, I was driving my own car at 13, that's 56 years now. I have two shoeboxes and a bunch of tablets of notes that I have kept since the beginning, and I have learned a bunch here in the short time I have been a member.

Common sense = post what the forum is for = the forums will be around for everyone = you gained some knowledge without having to go thru the trials and errors = money and time saved for you.

Trial and error = experience which = knowledge.

A day without learning something is a wasted day, SO:
Everyone get along and we will all be able to get a second education.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #83
nitrohonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Ryan:
Why on earth Do people think these sites.Have to be so cut and dry. Either / OR.
Life is not that way.This Hobby should be fun not stress a the person out if He or she offending some one With the Question the would like a answer to.
THANKS BILL WZOREK
I cannot see why it matters much, most of the traditional cars I see anymore could be put back to original in a day...i.e. remove drop axle, fenton headers and multiple carbs and you basicly have a stocker. Just my opinion.
nitrohonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #84
Jim NC

I don't often post here but I read a lot - refreshes my memory of what I did right (and wrong) on my 1st flat head Ford 53 years ago. Went without one for almost 50 years so am having fun again playing with a '34 roadster and a '51 sedan. The one thing I learned early on in my career as a soldier and a husband of '42 years (RIP Darlin') - Keep your mouth shut!! Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Jim NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #85
greazy john

i came over from the HAMB this is a different deal. lets keep it that way each has their own place .. be smart enough to use them, i've learned a lot on here....RYAN keep up the good work
greazy john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #86
Dick-Cape Cod

I always thought this site was about old Fords and flathead V8's in them...souped up or not...Why the talk about the other brands?
Dick-Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #87
32 Model B

I like Ol' Ron's replies. I would like to meet up with him someday.
32 Model B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #88
rodshop

New here- this is a helpful thread since I was figuring out this very issue. I started to post something about my plan to put a Y-block in my '52 sedan delivery- then decided that might be too much of a modification for the intent of the Fordbarn. Decided to delete that until I learned more. Looked to me like I can get my '52 questions answered on the Early V8 section and my Y-block questions answered on the Late V8 section. No problem.

Looking at some of the reactions here- I had to wonder if some of you read Ryan's first post closely? Just sayin'.......
rodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #89
rickmass

I ,am thankfull for the help that I got from all the senior member,s ,members an the junior,s this is an excellent informative site Thank,s to all.Rick
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #90
blown 38'

Thumbs up Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

wow it's a good thing i have one of each,totally stock and modified,i just joined ,hope to learn more..thanks...sandy

Last edited by blown 38'; 04-08-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: forgot my name
blown 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #91
blown 38'

Looking for stainless hood trim for my 38' ford ,fordor deluxe sedan,driver side piece that fits on hood,I should actually manufacture these pieces, i would not only make some restoration people happy ,i could make myself happy and make a buck$....it seems that hood trim is rare ,any ideas?...Thanks again
blown 38' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #92
ford38v8

Blown 38, If you have the capability to manufacture the left hood trim for a '38, yes, you could sell them like hotcakes. What i would suggest, though, is that you start your own post on the subject, and try to not hijack a post that doesn't relate. Repost your question, a new thread with your own title, I gaurantee it'll get read and commented on!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #93
jack orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
Sorry to see you go. I like your truck. I learn a lot from the diversity of people and rides. Don't go unless you have to or want to. If we were voting, my vote would be for you to stay. Take care...jack
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #94
bugsiegel

I honestly don't know what some might consider me, my truck.
I'm a one vehicle guy, flathead engine but on the way to a t-5 transmission. Original flies and bees still jammed between the dash and the front windshield.
One of my posts upset someone (not sure if he was a moderator or not) who asked me to post my questions someplace else. While the other guys were in defense of my future change to a mostly stock 49 F-1.
So I'm going to ask the people who run this site to decide if I belong here or not.
Check my history which will give you a good description of my vehicle ( the determining factor) and If you feel I don't fit in, please block my user name or let me know that I have passed the line with my truck and I'll figure things out someplace else. But keep in mind that I have no mentor and all my knowledge over the past 6 months has come from this site only.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #95
Ol' Ron

Stop in anytime, I'll put you to work. Vermont is a great place to visit, even have a spare bed room.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #96
4tl8ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsiegel View Post
I honestly don't know what some might consider me, my truck.
I'm a one vehicle guy, flathead engine but on the way to a t-5 transmission. Original flies and bees still jammed between the dash and the front windshield.
One of my posts upset someone (not sure if he was a moderator or not) who asked me to post my questions someplace else. While the other guys were in defense of my future change to a mostly stock 49 F-1.
So I'm going to ask the people who run this site to decide if I belong here or not.
Check my history which will give you a good description of my vehicle ( the determining factor) and If you feel I don't fit in, please block my user name or let me know that I have passed the line with my truck and I'll figure things out someplace else. But keep in mind that I have no mentor and all my knowledge over the past 6 months has come from this site only.
There are some folks here who will have a Hissy Fit if it isn't as Henery made it - I really don't understand how they can use today's gas, oil and air the way they carry on - When Ryan bought Shelly out he said he would keep the Ford Barn as was without any changes - I take his words on that.
As long as it is a Ford with a Ford it's all right (Tremec was originated in Mexico by Ford and Borg Warner so it's a Ford in my book)
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #97
fomocoloco

i have to log in every time i leave this sight. help
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #98
VeryTangled

fomocoloco, gotta be a browser security or firewall issue. Somehow your browser is not remembering passwords. PM me and I'll try to help.

For everyone else...

I just read most of this stuff, and I noticed a lot of people who said they were new to the site (a few with '35 and '36's), having 3-10 posts, except their messages are from 1-2 years ago. They haven't been back to post. May still be lurkers, but, more involvement is needed not less.

Tom T had a reasonable comment months (years) ago. I'm glad he's still pretty active. I've seen his cars, and as he explained it, he's not about 'as henry made it' but about 'as I want it' and I applaud him for it. He's a great guy and is very helpful with knowledge, and time to support Barn events and forum members. (Even if he gets more pizza than me!) Not everyone likes chicken!

-VT/Jeff

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-26-2013 at 07:29 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #99
Ken Bull

However "THE FORD BARN" is and has been since I joined in 2011 ...I love it!!!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #100
kelly.ga

Here lately I have been having lot's of trouble not being able to post or read some other posts. Am I doing something wrong, thanks kelly.ga
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #101
4tl8ford

Hey Ryan - Why are you letting all the Chevy talk to go on in the Early V8 Fourm - This is still the Ford Barn isn't it?
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #102
Flatty Merc

Hello, just joined the Ford Barn as of last night and am looking forward to some quality Ford Fellowship, I DIG ALL FORDS !! especially ones that are all Ford, Here's my project; after waiting patiently in the shed for 20 years my '41 p/u is on the burner, about the same time I purchased a fresh Merc. flatty 8CM complete with OD tranny, pondered about the tranny and banjo rear for some time and decided to adapt a Mustang T 5 and connect it to an 8.8 rear with leafs from a Ranger,( actually searching for imfo on the T 5 adaption is how I found the Ford Barn ), the '41 is all Henry steel and will remain unmolested, well maybe some smoothy here and there but nothing radical, also may put the front in the air gasser style for awhile or lower it with real reversed wheels as we did in the 60's. With this said I'm hoping the '41 and I can hang out in the Ford Barn or perhaps be directed to other sites more suitable , thanks, Flatty Merc
Flatty Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #103
bwood53

From a newbie... always been into cars. Fords in particular. owned a ford ranger pu. 68 tbird w 429 now a 53 f100 w what I thought was orig flathead w merc heads. Turns out from what I've learned in this barn and from orig seller its a53 merc flathead. Merc in ford? Is this OK? Should I go to hamb? Ol' ron...are u on hamb. Get a good vibe from you. Love your help and input.

I thought the barn etc was to further to further the hobby and educate us youngns'. Please help me. Just want to build a good reliable truck to enjoy w good people and my family.
bwood53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #104
4tl8ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood53 View Post
From a newbie... always been into cars. Fords in particular. owned a ford ranger pu. 68 tbird w 429 now a 53 f100 w what I thought was orig flathead w merc heads. Turns out from what I've learned in this barn and from orig seller its a53 merc flathead. Merc in ford? Is this OK? Should I go to hamb? Ol' ron...are u on hamb. Get a good vibe from you. Love your help and input.

I thought the barn etc was to further to further the hobby and educate us youngns'. Please help me. Just want to build a good reliable truck to enjoy w good people and my family.
That Merc Flatmotor could be hazardous to your health - If you are East of the Mississippi I am the designated certified receiver of such dangerous materials - All you have to do is crate it up and ship it to the address that I supply - This service is supplied free of charge in the interest of the Old Flatmotor Community
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #105
mfrk
BANNED

Hey if someone doesnt like a particular item MOVE ON to something you like I enjoy the mix of everything & keep it coming
mfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #106
Russ B

I frequent both Ford Barn and HAMB. Both boards remain mostly drama free due to the owner and moderators, thank you. I just do not post stuff on all the modifications I am making on my Model A on the Model A forum, they belong on HAMB. I have gotten great help from Ford Barn'ers on body restoration issues, but have not upset folks by stressing or pointing out the traditional rod aspects of my A build.

It is not hard to follow the rules set by the owner of a board. It is just simple respect.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #107
tiger.1000

Well, I've ready some old blarney before but never so much as this. You Yankees really do get hot under the collar about matters that are of little significance. I suspect that we UK members are outnumbered by you guys across the pond by maybe 5000 to 1....

This, in my opinion is a "real storm in a teacup"....if it wasn't for the "rodders" of this world there's a good chance that a good number of the parts suppliers for Ford parts would either go under or wouldn't be in existence in the first place and without them
we'd really be stuffed !

We're all different. Whether it's bog-standard as Henry made it or the biggest pushrod blown V8 that's known to man....SO WHAT?

Get on with it boys and have fun !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #108
4tl8ford

Go here - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/ - look at the choice of forums - What don't you understand?
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #109
'41 Pickup Rob

Default New Member

Recently purchased a '41 1/2 Ton Pickup and look forward to enjoying the Ford Barn experience!
'41 Pickup Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #110
Bubsyouruncle

Sooo, I'm a newbie. But I have possibly had my old Ford longer than most of the folks on this website. 1952.

My take: if you are trying to keep an old girl on the road then "minor mods", like Ford for Ford engine swaps or tranny changes, or juicers instead of hoping they work brakes fit in.

But hemis and splitting the wishbone and chop and channel, although honorable and historic and, really cool, according to Stroker McGurk, (come on back, old guys!) belong elsewhere.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #111
Bubsyouruncle

Wow

My two cents

Don't mess with the body.

Don't mess with the frame.

Play games with the engine and transmission.

Brakes are important.

Cool beans
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #112
Bruce in southern OH

Ryan, found the post about the Drum Dokter has been Moved/removed, question why this was done? Showing what I have picked up for rear drum brake work on our cars. See where several talk about babies, grandchildren, sickness, etc., do not know who or why a post about V8 related equipment was removed, Happy New Year.
( several using discussion forum for their business, car hauling and Ken Ct.)
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #113
Marv

I think a lot of these posts asking about what 8" or 9 ' to use in an old Ford etc, are people just having fun seeing what old timer they can stir up. I would not pay any attention to it and just let it go.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #114
whizzernick

I just went to V-8 site
http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/index.cfm

Not to hot***** almost a waste of time

I see people on this sit talking about kicking someone off this site

I am a new member and ask can you be kicked off site. ????

How is that done?????

I like this site as you get answers to smart questions and also answers to

dumb ones.

My opinion for what its worth . lets all kiss and make up
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #115
Charlville

I use both the Barn and H.A.M.B and they are both great. Also please remember in these days where everything costs £/$/(enter your currency here) these excellent resources are FREE, thanks to Ryan et al. So take it for what it is, take a breath or even count to 10 at times...
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #116
josh1331

They call that a ROD and it leaves the Original Ford era but good luck on the mods
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #117
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I love reading about all you fellows. It takes all you to keep this forum going. When I was a boy you never seen a 74 year old man playing with old cars. They walk with a cane and no teeth, bald headed sitting in a rocking chair smoking a pipe. I guess we have change that a bit. So keep up the good work and have fun!
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #118
32sedan

Wow! This thread has been going for awhile. I imagine the 'original versus hotrod' topic won't stop for a long time to come. I have a 32 Fordor that my grandfather bought brand new. He actually drove it off the assembly line. It's been garaged its whole life and it looks like it. There's not even a tear in the original upholstery. Obviously, I didn't restore this car. I just drive it. But I've done a few others. For example, I've done Ts in the past and right now I'm working on a 55 F100. When I do an old vehicle, I always want original if I can do it. I personally think a car should only be rodded when it can't be put back 'right'. Having said that, I do think there are mods that are appropriate - such as those folks who modify a car like the old-timers would have done in the 40s and 50s (when they were the greaser gearhead pioneers). Really, those old greasers were kind of the origination for all of us gearheads. No one was rebuilding cars before they started doing it. Plus, there are a lot of common things between rods and originals - body parts, etc. I guess the only time I would be concerned about mixing the two styles in a forum is if you come to a site for info on your original and find that the site is taken over by rodders. I don't want to have to sift thru all of the postings to find what I need for my old gal. But I don't really see that happening - yet. Maybe the moderator is just thinking it's a slippery slope to let them in.

I got to thinking about why people are so passionate about this issue (and, boy are we!). For me, I almost feel like I have an obligation to the future. I suspect my car will be toodling down the road long after I am gone. I would want future folks to see what the distant past was really about. Rods, for the most part, are about the here and now. Originals take us back further. As time and rust marches on, there will be fewer and fewer cars that can be put back original and there will necessarily be more rods simply because that will be what people can do with the limited originals that will exist in the future. What a dismal time that will be!

Anyway, I think I can learn from anyone. When you're as ignorant as me, the only direction is up. :-)

Happy Fording to all of you. Whether you're a rodder or a purist, there is one thing we all know - Fords are Prettier!!
32sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #119
32sedan

Wow! This thread has been going for awhile. I imagine the 'original versus hotrod' topic won't stop for a long time to come. I have a 32 Fordor that my grandfather bought brand new. He actually drove it off the assembly line. It's been garaged its whole life and it looks like it. There's not even a tear in the original upholstery. Obviously, I didn't restore this car. I just drive it. But I've done a few others. For example, I've done Ts in the past and right now I'm working on a 55 F100. When I do an old vehicle, I always want original if I can do it. I personally think a car should only be rodded when it can't be put back 'right'. Having said that, I do think there are mods that are appropriate - such as those folks who modify a car like the old-timers would have done in the 40s and 50s (when they were the greaser gearhead pioneers). Really, those old greasers were kind of the origination for all of us gearheads. No one was rebuilding cars before they started doing it. Plus, there are a lot of common things between rods and originals - body parts, etc. I guess the only time I would be concerned about mixing the two styles in a forum is if you come to a site for info on your original and find that the site is taken over by rodders. I don't want to have to sift thru all of the postings to find what I need for my old gal. But I don't really see that happening - yet. Maybe the moderator is just thinking it's a slippery slope to let them in.

I got to thinking about why people are so passionate about this issue (and, boy are we!). For me, I almost feel like I have an obligation to the future. I suspect my car will be toodling down the road long after I am gone. I would want future folks to see what the distant past was really about. Rods, for the most part, are about the here and now. Originals take us back further. As time and rust marches on, there will be fewer and fewer cars that can be put back original and there will necessarily be more rods simply because that will be what people can do with the limited originals that will exist in the future. What a dismal time that will be!

Anyway, I think I can learn from anyone. When you're as ignorant as me, the only direction is up. :-)

Happy Fording to all of you. Whether you're a rodder or a purist, there is one thing we all know - Fords are Prettier!!
32sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #120
fordman

I for the last few days have not been able to send replies. before that I could send replies with pics. I have received a request for more info but it won't go. where can I go for more to learn?

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #121
jackson32

Antique's against the almost Antique's give me a break GROW UP live in peace
jackson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #122
26 roadster

Boy I don't claim to be real smart but trying to get on HAMB is a B---h, I can't count the # of times it's rejected my password and give me a new one just to reject it to, I do a lot of sell,buy,trade there but I guess thats over, I can't even find anywhere to place an ad. can't fine my parts or if anyone answers my ad,,,,a real bummer,,,,,
26 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #123
37fordtruckguy

Personally I could care less what people do with their car or truck, after all it is theirs. For me this site is more about helping others solve problems and looking around for parts. I do not see why there is a problem if someone has a modified car or truck, its not that big of a deal.
37fordtruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #124
Scott Brownell

thanks much. You did a very good job of explaining this.. I agree there is no clear cut line on this subject and thanks for redirecting people to JJ. Scott
Scott Brownell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #125
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 roadster View Post
Boy I don't claim to be real smart but trying to get on HAMB is a B---h, I can't count the # of times it's rejected my password and give me a new one just to reject it to, I do a lot of sell,buy,trade there but I guess thats over, I can't even find anywhere to place an ad. can't fine my parts or if anyone answers my ad,,,,a real bummer,,,,,
So you've forgotten your password and you are having trouble with recovering it. Send an email to support and it will be fixed pronto.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #126
fenfen
BANNED

Nice post!
fenfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #127
ct1932ford

I guess I will go look at my fenders in the basement!
fenders 001.jpg
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #128
[email protected]

Where is Jalopy Journal? And there is stock, & mild customs. My 53 Merc Monterey is 100% original except the original hub caps are in trunk it sports beauty rings & baby moons. & it has a 6 volt elec fuel pump. Then my 12 volt 52 Merc Sports Coupe went a step further with offenhauser/Strombergs/fenton & of course AIR CONDITIONING. It has lakers, skirts none of which are stock. Oh both have fuzzy dice too)
doberdawg@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #129
[email protected]

I wish I could find a site dedicated to LATE flat head Fords/Mercs - I rarely see much here related to my 52 & 53 Mercs,I suppose it is because they are the LAST years in the "early" thread, & too "flat" for the 54 & up thread
doberdawg@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #130
AnthonyG

Geeeez, whatever!! if it's good mechanical early ford INFO especially on any flatty with anything done to it in any other year it's good stuff. Who every is yamming just stop and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ryan the site's been great since you took over, no probs man, keep it going the way it is,
Kudos Dude!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #131
jacob smith

I like to hear from the hot rod folks. They sell there orginal parts
jacob smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #132
Bill S

I think this is great. I do not have any objections of what people have have posted. It's a ford sight. Don't see any problems.At one time the Early Ford V8 only wanted fords up to 1940. It was a big fight to go to 1953.
Lets not have the same type of problem here. I like stocker's and modified cars
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #133
wspiker

Hi, I have a question please. I see the number about 40 responses to a thread and than when I click on the thread, I only receive about twenty of them? Even though, I am logged in? Can you help? Thanks.
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #134
wspiker

Nevermind........ I figured it out, duh.
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #135
Hapydz

Selling them, CT ?
Hapydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #136
psogden

I think you need to have a basic guiding, philosophy or reference point--and for Ford Barn that seems to be stock vehicles--and I'm good with that. However, always good to have a little wiggle room or flexibility--and I'm good with that, too. Problem is where to draw the line and I doubt that anybody has the ultimate answer. But when push comes to shove I hope the emphasis continues to be with the stock vehicle.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #137
Gene1949

I can respect the “purists” but I think all of us are guilty of blurring the lines. I’m a newcomer but have lurked for a very long time. The insights/knowledge base here and ideas presented are what makes this place great and provide much inspiration.

That being said our ride (49 Ford) never was stock. We brought it home lowered, louvered and flamed as it would have been in 1955. Being children of the ‘50s we wanted this car but never could have afforded it. It was up to us to finish it mechanically and the interior. We wanted a “traditional” hot rod keeping the flatty but being air conditioned and running all day down the road at 70 miles an hour in 105-110 degree days in Nevada. Quite a chore for a flatty but it can be done, thankx to the members here.

Our hobby and our vision is ever evolving; it would be a shame for this place to become a refuge for purists only.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #138
al pa.

My apologies,Ryan.I assume that my post was deemed inappropriate and pulled off the barn.This was concerning possible sale of my 47 merc,and I was seeking advice to avoid taking too much space on swap meet,and had hoped for advice on pricing.I'll try to find another approach.Again,my apology.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #139
AnthonyG

My advice to all, Chillax and just enjoy.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 02-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #140
hotrodjay

We're all flathead lovers here weather modified or stock. We post here for help and advice. If there is input to be given please share. We're all purists in one way or another, weather stocker or a traditionally built flathead with the correct pieces. I like and respect them both. If someone needs advice and you have input...share your knowledge.
hotrodjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #141
HOTRODPRIMER

Since none of the cars I presently own fall under the guide lines of this forum at this time I am rarely participate but I still enjoy reading and learning from people here.

I have had several Flathead powered cars in the past and Good Lord willing I will have another in the future.

I understand that the Ford Barn is not a hot rod site. HRP
Old 02-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #142
ct1932ford

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am on both sites. Although I have two Hot Rods they are very traditional and have many original mechanicals. The Barn and it's people have been a great resource for me over the years. I have met lots of good members here as well. I also have a great appreciation for the stock vehicles! That's It!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #143
FirstGenF2

Yeah, i don't really see why it matters if you're modding the car or restoring it, I was told to come here by someone on HAMB because I was asking about how to straighten sections of an F2 frame and apparently that is too heavy duty for that forum? I'm weary of the ford barn merely because it excludes a large part of the community (non fords).

Last edited by FirstGenF2; 03-12-2018 at 07:21 PM.
FirstGenF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #144
FirstGenF2

If my 51' F2 doesnt have a v8 do threads about it still belong in the early v8 section?
FirstGenF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #145
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGenF2 View Post
If my 51' F2 doesnt have a v8 do threads about it still belong in the early v8 section?
I say yes if your questions are about axles, brakes, body parts..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #146
trucker1

Both the HAMB and the Barn are awesome. I've gotten so much from both worlds. Thanks to all in the community who shared with the rest of us. Glynn.
trucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #147
vintrex

Absolutely agree...I think I got in the game too late for mine to remain stock.
vintrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #148
blucar

Ryan,
During the last few months I have been unable to post a pix to the the FB forum. At first I thought it had something to do with my photo program, I now think this is not the case.

Just a few minutes ago I responded to a topic on EFV8 Forum, had not trouble posting a pix. I responded to a question on a Mopar forum a few days ago, no trouble posting a pix.
Any ideas, my pix are all in jpg formate.... Wm.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #149
Tinker

blucar it might be a browser update. Might need to do one or change browsers. Firefox is decent.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #150
Gene1949

Many of us have "improved" our cars to make them more drivable.
I don't think addition of a 4 or 5 speed, a rear end change, or engine modifications change the "purity" of the car.
We did it as teenagers 60 years ago
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #151
Tinker

It's not about "purity", it's about how it was built. No more, no less. No connotations of "purity" or whatever. It's about just taking a old ford and rebuilding it as from the factory. Same as a dodge, vw, ferrari, or whatever.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-11-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #152
Cldxsolutions

Nice post.
Cldxsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #153
jimalabam

I agree with Ol' Ron. I think "The Barn" is running smoothly. "Different Strokes for different folks." If you are not interested in a particular post - DON'T READ IT. Again, one more time, thanks Ryan for all you do.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #154
jplawman

You cann't fix stupid!!
jplawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #155
1ton

I visit Ford Barn and The Hamb daily. Love both sites equally. It does not take a whole lot of brain power to figure out where posts or questions should be directed. But it really does not bother me when some car buff crosses the jagged line between stock or hot rod. Like someone posted (If you don't like the post, don't click on it.) In this day and age there are a lot of people that apparently have their feelings hurt easily. Personally I could give a rats ass. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #156
badassfrombadaxe

I only came to clarify something in Mac Van Pelt's book. If that leads to my information being disparaged and called SPAM then I think you are using extortion to keep something of value. Leaving won't fix that. I began working on digital graphics and before you ever had digital photographs to post because I had a unique perspective after working on where a communications aircraft had to be positioned in space to receive telemetry from the Apollo spacecraft we are celebrating a 50th anniversary of now. How does that apply here? There is a wide range of scales involved in drafting an early Ford. Go look at how some of the former blueprints that are now copied from the microfilm of the 1960's. The aperture cards used by Tank and Automotive Command were reproduceable on a special Xerox type machine. Then when I left Pratt & Whitney in 1981 they said they were going to a new system. I found that TACCOM used aperture cards in information packets they supplied to potential vendors in 1987. Then working with full size digital aircraft drawings in the year 2000, I got fouled by the Y2K first on January 1 and then again on February 29 as the divisible by 4 also led to divisible by 400. Can a computer ever fully represent a car design done in the 30's or 40's? Must it forever be photographs, even the stitched together 3d ones. The hardest things to represent I found to be soft things like tufted and button upholstery from circa 1909. Don't worry about the fine lines. They were blurred into oblivion when the Ozalid machines were shut down and the smell of ammonia no longer wafted by the cafeteria as you walked to lunch. It's not pi that made us have to make polygons instead of circles. Nor even how 8bit words moved to 16 bit and then on to 32 bit with 128 bit and 256 needed to do the encryption so our browsers could give us secure credentials here. It was the undriveablity of cars in the 80's that caused me to park mine and then not come back as gas station tanks had to be dug up and replaced as methanol ate the galvanize off tanks and goggled up marine tanks to warn about the fiberglass tanks installed before we were given Ethanol from edibles to avoid some of the nasty that also ate the neoprene tips (Viton?) of float needles that tired to absorb the rust and debris that made flooding reject rebuilds. Now, today cars are running around reliably. But what is lurking in the barn?

Last edited by badassfrombadaxe; 07-17-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: some mispellings and bad syntax
badassfrombadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #157
Tinker

That's a lot of stuff there..... Thinking it's just a bunch of guys talking old ford cars on the internet. Ya sometimes we disagree. The main idea is about building old fords as old fords. Pretty much that really.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #158
LRSmith

I have fitted the motor on my 39 mercury with the starter in place. Now it seems I have to remove the steering box to get it out. Advice anybody?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
LRSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #159
DavidG

There's a reason why the paragraph was invented.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #160
zzlegend

I knew i should not have read all that. Now my hair hurts. sheeeesh.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #161
Aarongriffey

When someone has been on this site for ten years and worked on his own vehicle, then drops a Chevy in it I would hope that person would keep read and posting here for the knowledge he has picked up about things he’s learned in the past about gages, switches, brakes, rear ends, doors , window lifts, steering, and even answers to problems he may have also had when he was still running the stock engine.
I have never owned a model A but I read the forums because I like model A Fords and have worked on a lot of them and seen and solved many problems on them.
I don’t have an engine in my model T but I still read and post on the T forums.
What if we were not allowed to discuss using detergent oil or radial tires or using adjustable lifters or mention DOT 5 or gel cel batteries?
I expect to see Ron posting for years to come and will continue to read every opinion and word of advice like I have for a long time.
When posted about distributors in 8ba or Merc engines I don’t care that his was in an International pump jack.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 AM   #162
Wyhomie

Gentlemen and Ladies
We are having a hard enough time maintaining our beloved hobby in today’s world, so let’s just enjoy the written and verbal camaraderie. Life is too short and I so much enjoy all of you.
Wyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #163
STAN WHITE

Ryan i am sorry if i was not supposed to be on this site.after reading a lot of these comments. As i have a 34 3 window that i have had for 35 years. I am doing it as my heroes did it in the early fifties, just a nice original car that sat a little different but with more power and better brakes. They were called sleepers back in the day. I did not mean to offend any of the members. As i am running a highly modified 59ab flathead engine 39 trans with lincoln brakes. I have gotten a lot of good info from the site. Thanks for all the help. Stan white age eighty two close to eighty three.
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #164
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I've gotten a bunch of private messages as of late about this and thought I had better speak up.

All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed.

I realize (and I'm sure you guys do as well) that there is no broad line of separation between hot rodded and stock early Fords. This would be easy if there was... But it's important to remember that the Ford Barn focuses on the stock restorations while The Jalopy Journal focuses on hot rods and customs. Sure, we will have some "sidebars" on each site covering more bases, but the general premises remains.
I only have a hotrod but I have lots of ford engine projects,found the advice here can be better, sounds like it’s time to go?
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #165
miller91

Knowledge is knowledge, and one would hope leads to wisdom. FordBarn always set the standard in general for me. JJ and HAMB got way too complicated for me, opinionated and "off-topic resistant"...off topic is Honda rebuilds, but I left being made unwelcome by surprise, surprise...look who's here now. I have a stock, original 1951 Ford Custom Sedan with an 8BA, 3-spd OD 40,000 original miles.

Hopefully that buys me some welcome here. I have been treated so well, and after a brief time off...I see things have changed. Let's preserve knowledge.

S
miller91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #166
Gnater

I'm here for the knowledge and experience, but won't be contributing much as my project is largely OT. Thanks to all for your inputs. (Yes, 8 more posts to go before I can PM on the Classifieds to inquire about parts.)
Gnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #167
treeman

My car would not belong here, it's a '46 Ford with '50 Merc Flathead, borg 5 speed, 8" ford rearend... However, I don't see the problem with asking questions pertaining to the flathead, or reading posts and learning. I really don't see the problem. If street rods were allowed, the site would be ruined, as the street rods would take over. Plenty of street rod sites out there, don't need to take over this one. Just my opinion, and, as a newbie here, I don't expect that opinion to carry much weight... :-)
treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #168
Gee Whizz

Wow... I'm brand spankly new to this and this is the first thread I see... kinda interesting... kinda sad... kinda like life! Anyways, I have a 25 year old restoration of a 'mostly original' 58,000 mile '35 3W Ford Coupe I bought in November last year to replace one I loved but sold 50 years ago. I'm no interested in Hot Rodding but, I guess when you ask one fella about hydraulic brakes, suddenly someone thinks you're a Hot Rodder, the next fella thinks that a perfectly acceptable safety upgrade - I'm that fella, I want to drive my Coupe, not interested in spinning my wheels, not interested in competing in shows, not interested in being right - just wanna drive my 'beauty'! https://scontent.fcxh2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...Bg&oe=61D5FEAC
Gee Whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:19 AM   #169
Lanny

Well Gee Whizz, Not all the vehicles here are all original. Quite a few here have non
stock vehicles. Jump into the early General Discussion forum here, and post a picture
of that beautiful '35 3 window, and you will fit in just fine. Ask all the questions you
want and you will get very knowledgeable answers.

Last edited by Lanny; 01-20-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #170
Veeder

Yes I second the Thk you to the moderators!! Also life is to short to get to stressed over issues like this in my opinion.
Everyone stay healthy and have a great day
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #171
mtruck

i'm pretty new here, but I understand the value of the Barn. I, myself am a custom builder. my trademark is putting vintage bodies on modern chassis. I get that this is not everyones cup of tea. I joined the Barn to gain insight on what i am starting with so I can pay tribute to how the vehicle started life. Not to mention there are people on here that may be interested in the unused parts that can be aquired. When my 47 jailbar panel is setting on a 1994 dually chassis it will be titled as a 1947. At least it is all still Ford!

Live your life, love your Ford!
mtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:56 AM   #172
Tinker

Ugh, the only thing that made sense with your statement, is you have parts.

You can't "pay" tribute but changing the chassis. Have fun!, do your thing. But don't try and sell me any tea. Parts yes!
Old 03-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #173
jplutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
I guess I will go look at my fenders in the basement!
Attachment 208049
Nice fenders.! JPL
jplutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:37 PM   #174
GB SISSON

Much of what I post here is 'off topic'. There have been many times when I thought my creations would be better received on the HAMB, but then they are certainly not prewar and definately not socal timing association so from what I know of I would be flamed horribly on the jalopy journal even though I tend to build jalopies for the exact reason out forefathers did. (Now that was a run-on sentence). What I mean is I build stuff from what I already have, not from the catalogues where I could buy an IFS kit from a mustang 2, etc, etc.... I started on FTE (ford truck enthusiasts) many years back but that became a haven for Crown Vic front ends and it got worse from there to air bags and 1/2" of ground clearance. I don't even know what being 'flamed' on the hamb means, but I am thin skinned and don't wanna know. For now I sit here in the middle, as always. I am a middle child of three I am middle ground (almost) in politics. What I am trying to say in my usual Wordy manner is I am very comfortable here with all you 'Regular' guys. Yes, a toyota 4wd chassis is pushing it, a cummins diesel, well that's at least american, sawing the cab off a perfectly good 47 pickup to build a non original wood wagon, But it is stuff I have had for many years. And you guys let me do all this without being 'flamed'. I have no idea where I would go next if my stuff wasn't welcomed here. I love this site, and thanks to all of you. If I were the moderator (or king of the world) I wouldn't change a thing......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:59 PM   #175
Tinker

GB. I get where you are coming from. Maybe we like what you do on a personal level as you have been around for a long while and know basically where your heart is. Hope you keep posting.

If this place turns into frame swaps, mustang 2, air bags, disc brakes, and sbc swaps. Well that would really suck and turn this place into just another forum for "old" fords.

The heart of this place is old fords and how they were. With a few mods. I like a good 50's mod'ed hotrod.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #176
wagoon

Thanks
wagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #177
steve40coop

oops, Joined yesterday, and guess I got the WRONG web site !
Will search for Jalopy site !
I could build anything, (and usually do )
Good luck to you.
steve40coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #178
Hans hendrik

Dear all,
Also my Ford is not standard, it's custom made in the 50's , build on a 37 Ford chassis with a 48 rear axle, but I'm sure you will like it when it is ready.
Indy race cars were often one off, I see it as a compliment to the Ford company that these cars were based on "their" sturdy chassis , huge brakes and beautiful design

And i'm glad I can learn from the huge experties available on this marvelous Ford Barn website
Hans hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #179
Daves55Sedan

As far as "hot-rodding" posts, I pass on those few posts I do see in the fordbarn. But MODIFICATIONS which may be required for continued driveability in this day and age are always a welcome sight to me.
Case in point, we see many questions in both early and late V8 forums on the use of electric fuel pumps for our cars that have 8BA, EAB, EBU, Holley 2100's and ECG (bugsprayer) type carburators.
Another example is a lot of people are switching to electronic ignition (Pertronix or Accel) since offshore points and condenser reproductions are LOUSY!
Personally, I have not made any modifications to my 100% factory stock '55 Ford Y-block YET, but the time is coming when I will get tired of pulling the oil-bath air-cleaner of the EBU carb so I can dump a little gas from a bent tuna can down the air tube into the float bowl just to start the car. Keeping my fingers crossed on an old condenser I put in two years ago. But she runs good every day.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:55 PM   #180
falconedsel

Got it.
falconedsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:11 PM   #181
GoJoMoJo

Love both factory and Hot Rod fords!
GoJoMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote