Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #61
Dave Mc

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Mine started out as a 33 Fordor Deluxe,found in the bottom of a ravine shot and burnt,I cut it all up and put it back together in a new way.it is Ford in every way except now is powered by a fuel injected 302 . I hate to think I am not part of the group because I made some changes along the way,it's all Ford and always will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (88.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg My33Before.jpg (8.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (68.8 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Dave Mc; 03-12-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: a photo
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #62
walts36

Good job Dave, at least you saved it. It's better that way then laying in a ravine rotting away. Walt
walts36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #63
Dave Mc

Thanks Walt, most of the old stockers are running later model drive trains 59AB's etc. etc . I do have a 29 Oval Window Business Coupe with THE ORIGINAL Engine, but 12 volt and 58 Ford Truck Steering Box ,juice brakes upgrades.if the purists with mechanical brakes,cloth covered wiring and wandering steering were the only ones allowed on this site,it would severely limit the access to information, parts and pieces we can find here.

Last edited by Dave Mc; 02-18-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spellin
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #64
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Eric View Post
^^^^ A all early Ford only hot rod section is a great idea. And one fitting to this site.
One that is only about a ford in a ford which would include souped up flatheads,but would definitely exclude SBCs.One thing I liked about this forum that there wasn't any postings about SBCs conversions.I thought that a later ford into an early ford was a grey area in this forum,but I was wrong Ryan clerified that.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #65
rocket hot rod

I have been on the HAMB for a while now and am new to this forum. Even though my car is not a stocker there are times when I am trying to design in some "Stock" components or to fit/rebuild some original parts. There is a wealth of knowledge here that I just found. In the one day of poking around in here I have already found answers to questions I have.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and site maintenance.
rocket hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #66
kelly.ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one. So here is mine, I am fairly new at the Barn and am restoring 34 pickup to 98% original because I promised the person that gave it to me I would. That said I would hate to see any of you not continue to use the Barn it has been very helpful to me. I have restored two other frame off vehicles,31 Chevy original & 48 DeSoto which I street rodded but kept the body original on the outside. I can drive the DeSoto any where easily, but not the 31 as all of you know the old cars don't handle very good at todays speeds. My pet peeve is when someone chops & channels which ruins, in my opinion the original look that the builder intended. I'm sure I have offended someone out there,if so I apologize. You won't find a site as good as this one for Chevies & Mopar.
My sentiments exactly. Ever notice the hot rod mag's never show how really good a body shop is by putting a chopped and channeled car back to it's original shape. Ever notice how many of these butchered cars are for sale.
kelly.ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #67
nbrskn

I think those of you who do not restore old cars are missing a big point.
If it were not for the purist you would not have all the wonderful parts
That people like Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, Dick Sparado, Have for sale. These folks are makeing reproduction parts. Parts you cant get from another car to custom your ride .I say thanks to them.And let them who restore have there site and be thankful to them so we can do our thing.
And when we need a reproduction part we can get them
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #68
funrunr

Holy crap! I've been visiting Fordbarn since the late 90's. I thought it was just all Fordbarn, not all Originalbarn. when I was looking to put dropped axle and front disc on my 40, I turned to Fordbarn. I received alot of useful tips, do's and don'ts, but no negative feedback saying I was ruining my car or would be unwelcome here. I bet if I was putting a sbc in it (It's a flatty) I would've received help also. This site is about Fords and loving the classics.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #69
52merc

that was the old ford barn this one is different run by a dofferent person
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #70
badnabor

Come on guys!, I haven't posted much, but I've got an opinion. Any time you discuss these vehicles, you are going to recieve different information. Some if it is relevent to your build & some isn't. As long as the orginal topic is addresed I don't see a problem. Don't me so narrow minded. Even if you don't need any info about engine swaps etc. this time, doesn't mean you cant store it in the 'ole noggin & use it later!
badnabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #71
ED32BB

YOU MEAN A 32 WITH A 50S+ FLAT HEAD SHOULD NOT BE ON THE FORD BARN,IT IS NOT STOCK. IT IS A GOOD THING I GOT HELP STOPPING MY 27T WITH 40 FORD BRAKES, BE FOR THIS RULE CAME DOWN.SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY,MAYBE YOU CAN TRY THERAPY OR REHAB,SO WE CAN BE A HAPPY FANILY AGAIN?
ED32BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #72
jimalabam

I agree with Karl. The Ford Barn is definitely the best site for original or modified Fords. While I am basically "purist", I do enjoy the mods also. Ryan and moderators keep up the good work. If you do not like mod posts, don't read them.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #73
hemisedan

Engine is a 280ci Flathead EAB heads and cam. this will be a test truck for ecinomy.
I will pass along everything I learn so youse guys can improve your rides[/QUOTE]

Better watch out Ron, Ford never made a 280 ci flathead and that would be considered modified, therefore, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME.

I thought car guys got over this crap 30 years ago. I appreciate a nice restored, but with hydraulic brakes for safety and seat belts, but a nicely done resto-rod trips my trigger much better. My 38 is not stock, oh the side rails are, but nothing else under the car. Guess they didn't come with 325 baby hemi's either.

hemisedan
hemisedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #74
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Ryan: thanks for the good job, and allthe other people that help,Ive made mistakes, life is a learning experionce,Im still learning,and having fun, Les
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #75
37ford4dr

Interesting thread....... i have been doing this restoration thing for 3 decades now almost 4 actually.....i am always amazed at how quickly we draw lines amongst friends.....a car guy is a car guy,may be they have different interests, maybe they have differnet goals but even guys who change cars dramatically can have really good talent....we as users of the internet just have to be polite when we are in others peoples homes (internet sites) and be respectful of thier rules.....its not like we have trade secrets to protect just questions to ask and knowledge to share, i look forward to many more posts in this forum, bob
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #76
46fordnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
First, Ryan and all the moderators, THANK YOU for doing a great job.

IMHO the lines between restoration/hot rod/street rod/custom are easily blurred. The mechanical issues are seem to be defined for the Ford Barn as "stock" or "period modifications", ie heads, juice brakes, hot water heaters, etc. This is a workable definition. Body issues are often common to all genre's. What fender fits a particular year frame/body does not matter if the car will have an original or late model motor.

A philosophy I have evolved is it is very important for the hot rodder to understand what the "original" is so any modifications are both that, a modification, and have a purpose. Without a baseline of "original" efforts become simply modernistic retro art. I use some of Boyd's later "1932" creations as an example... art: yes, beauty: yes, 1932: ... no.

Anyway regardless of anyone who may want to stretch the rules or complain, Ryan and helpers and those who use the Ford Barn have done a great job in keeping the forum civil and informative.

Thanks
best guess at this but everyone does things as he or she likes them. so lets say someone likes high compression heads or even high flow exhaust or tube shocks.. it may not be as new but to what that person likes or thinks what should be. i know to the purest this is not what should be . but here again it to like not to factory. somethings maybe changed for safety or maybe for easyer operation. i dont think unless you go to pebble beach or something like that any changes should upset anyone . each person has different ideas on how things should be done. this is just my thought on this but if you think about it it does work out this way.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #77
joe plumber

joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #78
hot rod addict

I too am new to the Ford Barn, having recently purchased a '36 5 w. I think this site is excellent, informative, and I thank all for their contributions to make it a better site, and helping new and seasoned alike. We are like the cars we seek. All different, and some with not all our orig. parts, but still insanely interested in this crazy hobby.
I understand you wanting to keep it period correct, but for me it is about seeking, and giving advice for my car, and others to be on the road whatever it has in it.
I'm updating mine so it is safer than when built, you just won't be able to see much of it. Keep up the great work, and don't worry....life's too short......
hot rod addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #79
hiflyer

Default Re: Differing points of view

I am new to this site and again would like to thank Ryan et al for their efforts making this a terrific knowledge resource. First, their is no accounting for taste. Sadly, some people have great taste and some people have little or no taste. Yes, taste is very subjective, and sometimes extremely difficult to define, however, an analogy would be a beautiful Woman. 100 men could look at this very attractive woman, and would be compelled to agree that this Woman was indeed very attractive, even if she was not in keeping with each individuals own taste. This is an exclusive FORD site, thank goodness!. If modifications on a 60 or 70 year old automobile are effected, especially to make it more safe and efficient for serious driving pleasure, then, these "mods" should be looked at in a POSITIVE light. Even the Ford engineers designed "retro fit" motor mounts for installing later Flathead motors in early 1930's cars. Purists might say that it is wrong to have a 8BA motor in a 1934 Ford. Well, the Ford Motor Company thought it was a good idea. All these old cars, with very few exceptions, were designed to be driven at what we would now consider to be "slow" speeds on unimproved or rough roads. Many old cars rode like "buckboards" by today's standards. The bodies and frames were "rust" just waiting to happen. The early Lacquer paints gave little protection against the "armies" of rust and corrosion, never mind impact damage from all the rocks on the roads, and quite frankly, I think it is a tribute to the early Ford mechanics that many of these cars survived as long as they have. With apologies to those that have already done it, I have to say PLEASE, NO SBC in Fords! If one has to have a "modern" engine for efficiency and practicality, the last time I checked, FORD makes very efficient and powerful engines that work well and last a long time! Again thanks to the site. HIFLYER
hiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #80
Poor Boys Garage

I can understand the keeping the Ford Barn for restoration purposes but its sometimes hard to get any where with the H.A.M.B, sometimes its a jumbled mess. It needs to be broke down just like the Ford Barn is, into categories. When I have questions related to using a 40's frontend I would perfer to go to that section related to the 40's just like here instead of such a broad category the H.A.M.B offers. It would make things so much easier in my opinion.
Poor Boys Garage is offline   Reply With Quote