Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
4tl8ford

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

Well Damn
I sure as hell didn't realize that after reading all the threads on the original Ford Barn.
Boy do I feel like a dumb shit - Thanks for straightening me out there Ryan.
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
1948 Ford F1 Panel (Frame off resto-rod)
1946 Ford Coupe (Basket case)
4tl8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
rotorwrench

I read all of the posts on this 'Notice Thread" and am not surprised that this happened. Somewhere in that gray area between restoration and hot rod there is a wall, even if a somewhat feeble wall. When folks start bouncing off that wall is when the further definition & clarification of these words come out. Thes definitions always lead to a verbal contention between purists and those that want to make there ride better for there own needs, identity, and above all to make life a little easier for themselves in the form of reliability.

Many of the Model A folks are purists but most of the V8 folks are somewhere in between. After all, if you have a question about a V8 in your Model A then you don't go to the Model A forum to ask about it. Point is that it is still a valid Ford Barn question in the V8 section. Plus, there is still a lag on availability of parts for the later Fords that the model A has always comanded a big lead on.

We just have to be mindful of a question that will ruffle the feathers of a purist in either forum and respect that. Personally, I tried the purist route for many years and have found that it made me a little crazy. It's almost impossible to keep one of these old turds going for any kind of daily use without modifying it to some degree. The Model A is and always will be by it's very design, a pain in the ahrs to keep running well or driving safe. After all, it was designed in a different time and place plus it was made for a USA with mostly dirt roads. Humans are lazy by nature and most try to make there life as easy as possible. I'm no exception.

My 2-cents
Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Vergil

I guess I would have to say I am now speechless because neither of my av8's fit into the Ford Barn guidelines. Both have flatheads but modern upgrades (anyway I think they are) so can't post about them. I joined the HAMB in 2005 and have been an alliance member since the first tag. I liked the old Ford Barn and like the new one but I hesitate trying to post on the HAMB or trying to see all the threads from one day to the next that mentions the flatheads, 12 to 15 pages to see all the threads in 24 hours. I will continue reading the posts here and some on the HAMB because of all the knowledge that can be shared. I also belong to Bills flatheadv8.org site which also has a wealth of information and knowledge and I feel very comfortable when posting about my projects. Okay back to speechless.

Vergil

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #24
ford1

lol its amazing what one or two people can do if the complain enough to the right people
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Hamtown Al

Trying to follow stuff on HAMB is a challenge at best because of the high volume on comments.. I mean comments; not any sort of contribution to knowledge whatsoever. Vulgar expressions seem all too common. I'm no prude and far from pure but it gets old and seems a bit immature after awhile. The hamb can be a quick helpful place and has helped me greatly when I was suddenly the new owner of a hemi powered 40 cpe.

The old barn was not just about original restorations by a wide margin. When I put a 36 car front clip on a 40 pkp it was followed by many and updates were REQUESTED if I didn't post progress on a regular basis. The same was true for many others.

Anyway, I wish old cross breds like myself good luck in keeping up with much on the hamb but I'll try. I'll keep my 5 spd project over there but am not getting much feedback in the way of continued interest so am beginning to question whether it's worth it to take and post pics along with an explanation.

I figured the discovery that you could put a 5 spd behind a hemi or a flathead WITHOUT splitting the wishbone would be of great interest to everybody as adding a 5 spd to your stock Ford is getting to be a more common upgrade in the interest of DRIVING your old Ford for long distances without running them wide open.

Enough of the comments. Back to the garage... if I can get it warm enough today!
Merry day after Christmas to all!
Al
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
345 DeSoto

What HAMTOWNAL just Posted struck me...and it makes a LOT of sense. THIS is the place to be, if you've got an "Old Ford". Although I read the HAMB daily (right after this Site), it's getting bothersome to wade through the MIRIAD "comments" rather than any sort of knowledge contribution. Don't get me wrong...I'd be lost with out the knowledge on the HAMB, but there's a LOT to wade through. I have an "old Ford", and THAT's what I'm interested in...things "old Ford". I try really hard to keep my comments/questions old Ford on this Site. If I want answers on Hemi's, 200-4R's, or solving some non old Ford related problem I go to the HAMB Site...which is where it SHOULD be asked. If I have need for old Ford answers, which is what all that other "stuff" is in, I come here. It's very simply asking the right question on the correct Site. After all, even though it's a "Hot Rod", it's still an old Ford, not some bizzare contraption of another make...
Old 12-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
ford1

im probably going to get in trouble for posting this, but if you want a site that welcomes all fords, model A , street rods, or hot rods, they all blend together there, some very smart ford guys there, and they are friendly, come in and post pics and ask any questions you want, and they will get answered with out any attitudes, and no
self appointed site cops, go to Shellys "chevybarn", then click on the non chevy guys room, near the bottom of the page on the left, maybe ryan will let this stay here , if not, fords are fords

Last edited by ford1; 12-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #28
Evil-Eric

I say screw all of it...I use the sites for instant responses to a problem.....But wait....what did I do before the advent of the internet?

Hemmings, restoration magazines,picking up the phone and talking to the people your buying from, and the first hand knowledge from the old timers in my community..

to be honest I think we would ALL be better off without the stupid computor

But in the end Ill still be here asking stupid questions..responding to stupid posts...and just waiting to be kicked off..but im a rebel like that..HAH!
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #29
ford1

LOL ok i see ryan has left my post up about Shellys non chevy guys room on her chevybarn site, so i will press my luck and tell you guys about another site where modified ford posts and pics are welcome, the guys are laid back, smart, friendly and best of all no drama, just a bunch of ford guys taking life one day at a time and enjoying it, try billb's Ford flathead v/8 site come in introduce your self, ask questions and post pics of your project
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Chris in WNC

Wink its really very simple.......

I have already explained this on the Model A board, but here goes again........

when does a car cross over that gray line between being an antique and a hotrod?

"when I say it does"

it's situational ethics at its best

Ryan's doing a darned good job of herding cats here on the FordBarn

Joe the Plumber: don't bail out, stick with us, the moderators will let you know whether you have crossed the line too far.....
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #31
George/Maine

On 12 -16 at 5:47pm this post was entered.
1940 Ford with a swap from the f.h to a s/b ford
I've got a nice 40 ford sedan with the original f/h engine, wiring etc....that looks like its had it. have been thinking of putting a ford into a ford (302, etc.) the original running gear (trans./rear) is good..anyone have any advice, suggestions...excluding using a chevy s/b....thanks, art.

I think you will be seeing more Hot Rodding in the future.
As the oldie die off.
I'm no kid myself. 1962 when 18 years old the thing was to rip the old flathead out , put a ohv maybe and olds 303 ford 312 maybe a cad.
Restoring cars was realy not heard of.
I stopped the car hobby and was doing other things.
In 1995 got back into cars and there was a lot of stockers,
By 2001 there were very few at the car shows,only the big shows,are where they are today. There isn,t much difference in the looks of a streetrod and a stocker maybe the height.A realy good stocker makes the best street rod.
If you didn,t play with cars in the 60s thats why you don,t like hotrods.
Any way thats what it all about.
George/Maine
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
fordman

WOW, I like this site. A wealth of information! A source unlike any other site. All of you know something I don't know and I am listening; keep talking.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
jnunez1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
As I understand it, there is not a problem discussing juce brakes on a '34 or a 59 AB engine in a '38. I think that is still in keeping with the original cars that are being driven.

HOWEVER, I, for one, have NO INTEREST in a discussion on the availability of engine adaptors to install a Small block Ford in a Early V-8 Car and such stuff. That definately does not belong on this Forum.

Again, Just My Opinion!

Chris

Actually, a guy that goes by hitchhiker gave me a hard time and Ryan sent me an email for it, because i wanted to put F1 steering on my model A...i mean its originally designed henry ford parts....
even tho the parts i mention are pre 1952....its still not small blocks, disc brakes, or power steering...but to him, its all the same thing and its still hot rodding and its not aloud on here.
thanks for clearing me up Ryan....

Last edited by jnunez1955; 12-28-2010 at 05:57 PM.
jnunez1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
jnunez1955

here is the guy that said this site is strictly for all original cars only,

Hitchhiker

Re: f100 steering box conversion for model a
No offense but this is a site about the RESTORATION and ORIGINAL side of model A's. Not about Hot Rods or period correct jalopies. Maybe I am wrong, but You would be better served on the Hamb. I'm there under the same handle and I am building something similar. I do not post about it here as I think it is rude and disrespectful of the Senior(not older, more experienced) members. good luck with the build, I always enjoy seeing a true 90% ford content hot rod.....and buy the Bishop/Tardel book. It will explain everything. Vern also has a little book on steering that you might find helpful.

Matt

Edit: I'm not trying to say you can't or shouldn't post here. just that you might be better served else where. I for one am very interested in your build. But I don't want to cross the lines of what this site is geared for. Sorry if it came across as policing your post. It was just my opinion. Merry Christmas and good luck with the project.

i gave him a hard time for policing my thread.
jnunez1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
Rich Wright

I'm an old guy who hasn't met too many old Fords he doesn't like. Pretty much all vintage car makes as well as vintage airplanes fall into the same category. I've restored a few model A's, One AA and one BB in my lifetime, but now I have a model '30 model A sedan that is a vintage hot rod. I took great pains to build my car with original Ford components, most of which needed to be restored (by me) and/or resurrected from the dead pile. My car has fewer than 30 parts that are not pre '48, and most of those are scheduled to be replaced with vintage pieces. It's powered by a bone stock '40 Merc on it's first overhaul, a '39 trans and late '40s banjo rear end.

I drive it as often as the weather and my tired body allow.

I have a great deal of respect for vintage cars and those who care for them.

I grew up in the body/paint trade and I do absolutely as much of my own work as I can, in my one backyard shop.

There are few pictures in an album on my profile page.... Do I need to run away from here as fast as I can, or can I stick around and learn (and maybe share some info, too).....??
Rich Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #36
Ford46

I think this is one of those subjects that can go on forever without a definitive answer. Ryan stated this forum is intended for original Fords. I think the key is flatheads here in the 1932 - 1953 section. Take Rich Wright for example a Model A with a flathead, flathead questions belong on this forum and any body questions belong on the Model A forum. What doesn't belong here is OHV engines Ford or otherwise (unless Ardun equipped flatheads) or 9 inch rearends, etc. that is just my humble opinion. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and I wish all a Healthy and Happy New year in 2011. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #37
George/Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford46 View Post
I think this is one of those subjects that can go on forever without a definitive answer. Ryan stated this forum is intended for original Fords. I think the key is flatheads here in the 1932 - 1953 section. Take Rich Wright for example a Model A with a flathead, flathead questions belong on this forum and any body questions belong on the Model A forum. What doesn't belong here is OHV engines Ford or otherwise (unless Ardun equipped flatheads) or 9 inch rearends, etc. that is just my humble opinion. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and I wish all a Healthy and Happy New year in 2011. LouB.

May I make a Suggestion.
From what others have said I believe there are more Hot Rodders out there then true stockers.
Why not lump the model t with the As and bring back the orginal,
Ford Based street rod section.
There is very little in the model T section and think most are
street rodders anyway.
George/Maine
New New Year everyone
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #38
Evil-Eric

^^^^ A all early Ford only hot rod section is a great idea. And one fitting to this site.
Evil-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #39
sturgis 39

I would not get too upset. Post your question where you will receive the best answer. Maybe explain why you posted on a certain forum. Some of the monitors are probably in the learning stage and they may not be overly bright. I would not combine the ''a" and "t" forums. The "a" forum has more activity than the early v8 forum. Everybody needs a wheel alignment now and then.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #40
bcharlton

As a FNG, I hope to get some help here as well as the Hamb. I have a steel body original 32 5 window unmolested. It does have a little different suspension and a newer 351 Ford motor. I would like to continue to rely on the help of senior members that have far more experience then I do as I grow in the hobby. I also understand why chopping and channaling early Fords may be offensive to some traditionalts.

I hope I can contuinue to feel welcome.

Brian
bcharlton is offline   Reply With Quote