Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
160B

Default Re: Moving the 30/31 Victoria on Amer. Pickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
These great barn finds have been planted, just like is also done in the storage lockers on "Storage Wars". On Storage Wars, they usually don't show any other bidders bidding except the 4 different bidders that bid every week. What about the other bidders that are there with bidder numbers? They never bid??? These TV shows are just a fantasy. Very little of it is real.

This is part of the "DRAMA/FANTASY"

The key point on storage lockers that I get a kick out of is all the drama of cutting the lock off!

When the rent goes past a certain date the locker owner cuts the renters lock off and installs his own lock until rent is paid or it is decided to auction the locker.

So why would you cut off a lock that you have the key or combination??

I know it makes great "drama"!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
SHEC

Time for me to head "back east" and find this little Vicky!

Be well -

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
Stretch Cab

Pickers was coming to our little town and ran an ad in the paper asking people to suggest places for them to search. Well, if we all know where the stuff is doesn't seem like a real find to me.
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #24
spdway1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Pickers was coming to our little town and ran an ad in the paper asking people to suggest places for them to search. Well, if we all know where the stuff is doesn't seem like a real find to me.
Thats Funny!!
When are you coming to my little town again?
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
eagle

I've got a couple sheds they'd have fun in.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #26
Rowdy
BANNED

I am always looking on the walls and benches for KRW tools and pay little attention to what they are buying. Not that I would know how to contact the people they meet about buying them. I tried to contact Antique Archeology at one point to ask how much of that stuff they ran into. No reply from them. Guessing if I am not offering to let them rumage through my stuff they don't answer e-mails. Rod
Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #27
rwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
They sent our club an email asking for leads. I gave them a couple and they sent a guy out first to take some pictures, then came back later and taped a show that was on recently.
rwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #28
brum1

to me , they overpaid for the body-unless the gentlemen will work for nothing, that rat rod project will cost them 30k-what a waste their time would have been better served with the Vicky
Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #29
Roadster62

^^^^ Maybe, but I like to think the Vicky is still waiting for Mr. Right to show up. Bob
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
Keith True

A few of us here are getting a big chuckle out of a little film event that happened at an old house.A TV crew filmed a mid 60's Chrysler product hauled out of a two car shed that was in the process of caving in.The car had an inch of dirt on it,and there was a running commentary of how long it had been there without being discovered.The previous owner of the shed is in his 90's,and when he sold the property two years ago the shed was empty.He jokes that it must have grown there.Also,he had a bad experience with Mopar just before he went off to the war,and he NEVER owned one after that.He also said there had not been a car in that shed since he owned it,and he bought the place as soon as the war ended.The neighbors tell about watching the car being placed there a couple of weeks before the shoot.The dirt was sprayed on the car with a hand crank grass seed spreader.The film crew said the car had actually been retrieved from a simular situation,but the environment made for poor filming.I've never seen any of the shows mentioned,my TV has tinfoil on the rabbit ears to get it to come in.I get a bunch of PBS channels and some news,so I'm good.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
On "American Pickers" I have often seen them digging in dusty barns searching for their rare barn find. Everything around them is covered with about a half of an inch of dust and the are surrounded by only primitive junk. Then like a message from heaven, strangely one of them finds a perfectly clean motorcycle engine hiding behind some junk pile. These great barn finds have been planted, just like is also done in the storage lockers on "Storage Wars". On Storage Wars, they usually don't show any other bidders bidding except the 4 different bidders that bid every week. What about the other bidders that are there with bidder numbers? They never bid??? These TV shows are just a fantasy. Very little of it is real. I was a picker and I ran my own store for over 30 years. I still enjoy watching them though.
SSssssteamer .......................
Sure, these programs are contrived ! But, they are fun to watch.
In Daytona, the Pickers bought some stuff, by "Free Styling". Then, an article came out in our newspaper, stating that an advance crew was in, two weeks earlier. It was the first time that the people met Frank and Mike, though.
I doubt if they drive the van across country. They probably tow it behind a hugh motorhome.
It is entertaining and like Roadster62 said, it is interesting to see what others have stored away. That is not faked.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
SHEC

The program showed up again as a repeat and the Vicky was STILL THERE!

LOL.............
Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
1931 flamingo

If they show that program five years from now the Vicky will still be there.................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
If they show that program five years from now the Vicky will still be there.................
Paul in CT
I guess they don't sell well.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
EAK69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
No way to find out the location of this Victoria - believe me, I tried.

SHEC
Not true - I found the name of the town when I watched it the first time and would have to rewatch the episode to find it again. Something tells me it was a town either EAST or WEST of Peoria IL as they went to two towns on either side of Peoria IL.

I have family in Bloomington / Normal and thought... 'hmm, road trip??!' but never made it and came back home to Scottsdale....

Route 66 World
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Route 66: '...once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive ALL of it!'

Member: Phoenix Model A Club (sans the Model A!!)
EAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #36
EAK69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
They were in Washington, Illinois, east of Pee-o-ree-a. Been there many times, hard not to miss their 'square' in the downtown, pretty historic.
Thanks Jeff - I knew it was around Peoria...

I had the same issue with American Restoration. I do preservation / restoration work on Route 66 (as a hobby / charity) and I contacted the shop TWICE via Email about looking at some pumps for several projects I was working on and if someone could contact me as I was going to be in Vegas and can stop by - not one answer from anyone at the shop.... just pisses you off. And yes, I know their prices would be through the roof - but sometimes you walk into a place and just get ideas of what you are trying to accomplish...

I have turned off the TV and am spending my time finishing my 49 Ford F3 truck and researching my next project - a lovely Model A....

Route 66 World
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Route 66: '...once you drive part of it - you'll want to drive ALL of it!'

Member: Phoenix Model A Club (sans the Model A!!)
EAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
SHEC

So the Vicky was shown again this last week when the American Picker "boys" had a recap show. They are apparently celebrating the completion of 100 shows. Contrived, or set-up, yes indeed - but appears to be a very popular program when compared to any number of dull shows.

I still would love to cast my eyes on that Victoria - Thanks for the confirmation on the town location.

Be well -

SHEC
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
SHEC

Found the car and the alleged owner. So, I have a car connect headed over to look at it and see if it is TRULY for sale............... Vicky maybe headed West - we will see!

Will keep everyone posted

Be well - SHEC
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
SHEC

Update -

The "Vicky" is going to stay just where it has been hibernating - according to my Midwest source. The program keeps showing reruns and the Ford keeps appearing in my dreams...................

Perhaps there is another 31 Steelback Victoria out there for me?

Be well -

SHEC
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Entertainment indeed!! The update is that they paid 20k for an ugly '32 roadster rat rod.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote