Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
rottenron36

Default crab pertronix 59ab

I have gone thru many post about crab distributors and pertronix. I have a crab with the correct 1285lsp6 pertronix, and the 1.5 coil and would like to try it on my 59ab. I'm still confused about a resistor. Some on the barn say you need one, pertronix says you don't need one. Whether I use it or not, I don't want to burn it up. Any tips or information appreciated. Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: crab pertronix 59ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenron36 View Post
I have gone thru many post about crab distributors and pertronix. I have a crab with the correct 1285lsp6 pertronix, and the 1.5 coil and would like to try it on my 59ab. I'm still confused about a resistor. Some on the barn say you need one, pertronix says you don't need one. Whether I use it or not, I don't want to burn it up. Any tips or information appreciated. Ron
Are you 12v or 6v for starters. Consensus is that the 12v system is better than 6v system. Personally I'm with the old stlye points set up which when serviced correctly are great.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
rottenron36

6 volt positive ground, 59ab, with voltage regulator, and resister
Old 05-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
Fritz

Do not use the resistor. I’ve been using your exact setup for the last 8 years. 59a engine, crab, 6v positive ground Pertronix unit. The pertronix needs the full 6v to the distributor. I bypassed the resistor, and the unit runs perfectly.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

Do as Fritz wrote eliminate the resister. You will enjoy how nice the system works. Here's a tip on the installation. The Pertronix conversion comes with a new base plate the module is mounted on this new plate. Check to be sure your rotor is not bottomed out on the new bronze bushing at the top of the base plate. Sometimes the bushing needs to be pushed down just a touch so there's proper clearance between the bottom of the rotor and the top of the bushing. The clearance will allow the advance to operate correctly.
The benefits of the Pertronix no more points to adjust or worry about especially the crappy import replacements another bonus is no worry's about the condenser crapping out as well.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 05-17-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
oldskool

you will also need resistor type plug wires not solid core ,6v not good with pertronix , i run points in my 59ab with points no problem
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
rottenron36

My plug wires are a bunch of strands not solid core, are they compatible? Thanks to all for your advice, tips and information. Ron
Old 05-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenron36 View Post
My plug wires are a bunch of strands not solid core, are they compatible? Thanks to all for your advice, tips and information. Ron
Suggest you look into '7mm spiral wound plug wire'
This is what Pertronix recommends to eliminate interference to the electronics. One end comes installed and the wire has to be cut to fit,(as necessary) then remaining end installed.

Universal sets are available from Pertronix as well as other vendors.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 05-18-2021 at 10:19 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
40cpe

If your conductor strands are copper, they are not resistor wires. Pertronix recommends spiral wound resistor wires. I've read some have used copper conductor plug wires, but I wouldn't risk it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #10
rottenron36

My plug wires appear to be steel strands not copper. They are almost new, and were a pain to get through conduits, but I don't want to burn my unit up. Ron
Old 05-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
tubman

It'd probably be easier to just replace the distributor with a good stock unit; then you could leave the plug wires where they are.

Plus, you won't have to worry about being stuck in some inconvenient place if that 6 volt Pertronix suddenly decides to quit on you.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
drolston

Just replace the coil wire with a length of spiral wound, and keep those spark plug wires, whatever they are. That will provide enough resistance to keep the Pertronix happy. In case I have that wrong, carry a spare points distributor with you at all times.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote