Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #161
Aarongriffey

Default Re: Hey Fellas... Some Clarification...

When someone has been on this site for ten years and worked on his own vehicle, then drops a Chevy in it I would hope that person would keep read and posting here for the knowledge he has picked up about things he’s learned in the past about gages, switches, brakes, rear ends, doors , window lifts, steering, and even answers to problems he may have also had when he was still running the stock engine.
I have never owned a model A but I read the forums because I like model A Fords and have worked on a lot of them and seen and solved many problems on them.
I don’t have an engine in my model T but I still read and post on the T forums.
What if we were not allowed to discuss using detergent oil or radial tires or using adjustable lifters or mention DOT 5 or gel cel batteries?
I expect to see Ron posting for years to come and will continue to read every opinion and word of advice like I have for a long time.
When posted about distributors in 8ba or Merc engines I don’t care that his was in an International pump jack.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 AM   #162
Wyhomie

Gentlemen and Ladies
We are having a hard enough time maintaining our beloved hobby in today’s world, so let’s just enjoy the written and verbal camaraderie. Life is too short and I so much enjoy all of you.
Wyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #163
STAN WHITE

Ryan i am sorry if i was not supposed to be on this site.after reading a lot of these comments. As i have a 34 3 window that i have had for 35 years. I am doing it as my heroes did it in the early fifties, just a nice original car that sat a little different but with more power and better brakes. They were called sleepers back in the day. I did not mean to offend any of the members. As i am running a highly modified 59ab flathead engine 39 trans with lincoln brakes. I have gotten a lot of good info from the site. Thanks for all the help. Stan white age eighty two close to eighty three.
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #164
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I've gotten a bunch of private messages as of late about this and thought I had better speak up.

All that said, I understand there is some overlap. A great example is a guy with a '40 coupe that he likes to drive quite a bit. For drivability, he might stick a dual carb intake and maybe even some heads on his mill. Advice on such modifications is, of course, welcomed.

I realize (and I'm sure you guys do as well) that there is no broad line of separation between hot rodded and stock early Fords. This would be easy if there was... But it's important to remember that the Ford Barn focuses on the stock restorations while The Jalopy Journal focuses on hot rods and customs. Sure, we will have some "sidebars" on each site covering more bases, but the general premises remains.
I only have a hotrod but I have lots of ford engine projects,found the advice here can be better, sounds like it’s time to go?
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #165
miller91

Knowledge is knowledge, and one would hope leads to wisdom. FordBarn always set the standard in general for me. JJ and HAMB got way too complicated for me, opinionated and "off-topic resistant"...off topic is Honda rebuilds, but I left being made unwelcome by surprise, surprise...look who's here now. I have a stock, original 1951 Ford Custom Sedan with an 8BA, 3-spd OD 40,000 original miles.

Hopefully that buys me some welcome here. I have been treated so well, and after a brief time off...I see things have changed. Let's preserve knowledge.

S
miller91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #166
Gnater

I'm here for the knowledge and experience, but won't be contributing much as my project is largely OT. Thanks to all for your inputs. (Yes, 8 more posts to go before I can PM on the Classifieds to inquire about parts.)
Gnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #167
treeman

My car would not belong here, it's a '46 Ford with '50 Merc Flathead, borg 5 speed, 8" ford rearend... However, I don't see the problem with asking questions pertaining to the flathead, or reading posts and learning. I really don't see the problem. If street rods were allowed, the site would be ruined, as the street rods would take over. Plenty of street rod sites out there, don't need to take over this one. Just my opinion, and, as a newbie here, I don't expect that opinion to carry much weight... :-)
treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #168
Gee Whizz

Wow... I'm brand spankly new to this and this is the first thread I see... kinda interesting... kinda sad... kinda like life! Anyways, I have a 25 year old restoration of a 'mostly original' 58,000 mile '35 3W Ford Coupe I bought in November last year to replace one I loved but sold 50 years ago. I'm no interested in Hot Rodding but, I guess when you ask one fella about hydraulic brakes, suddenly someone thinks you're a Hot Rodder, the next fella thinks that a perfectly acceptable safety upgrade - I'm that fella, I want to drive my Coupe, not interested in spinning my wheels, not interested in competing in shows, not interested in being right - just wanna drive my 'beauty'! https://scontent.fcxh2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...Bg&oe=61D5FEAC
Gee Whizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:19 AM   #169
Lanny

Well Gee Whizz, Not all the vehicles here are all original. Quite a few here have non
stock vehicles. Jump into the early General Discussion forum here, and post a picture
of that beautiful '35 3 window, and you will fit in just fine. Ask all the questions you
want and you will get very knowledgeable answers.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN

Last edited by Lanny; 01-20-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #170
Veeder

Yes I second the Thk you to the moderators!! Also life is to short to get to stressed over issues like this in my opinion.
Everyone stay healthy and have a great day
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #171
mtruck

i'm pretty new here, but I understand the value of the Barn. I, myself am a custom builder. my trademark is putting vintage bodies on modern chassis. I get that this is not everyones cup of tea. I joined the Barn to gain insight on what i am starting with so I can pay tribute to how the vehicle started life. Not to mention there are people on here that may be interested in the unused parts that can be aquired. When my 47 jailbar panel is setting on a 1994 dually chassis it will be titled as a 1947. At least it is all still Ford!

Live your life, love your Ford!
mtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 12:56 AM   #172
Tinker

Ugh, the only thing that made sense with your statement, is you have parts.

You can't "pay" tribute but changing the chassis. Have fun!, do your thing. But don't try and sell me any tea. Parts yes!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #173
jplutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
I guess I will go look at my fenders in the basement!
Attachment 208049
Nice fenders.! JPL
jplutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:37 PM   #174
GB SISSON

Much of what I post here is 'off topic'. There have been many times when I thought my creations would be better received on the HAMB, but then they are certainly not prewar and definately not socal timing association so from what I know of I would be flamed horribly on the jalopy journal even though I tend to build jalopies for the exact reason out forefathers did. (Now that was a run-on sentence). What I mean is I build stuff from what I already have, not from the catalogues where I could buy an IFS kit from a mustang 2, etc, etc.... I started on FTE (ford truck enthusiasts) many years back but that became a haven for Crown Vic front ends and it got worse from there to air bags and 1/2" of ground clearance. I don't even know what being 'flamed' on the hamb means, but I am thin skinned and don't wanna know. For now I sit here in the middle, as always. I am a middle child of three I am middle ground (almost) in politics. What I am trying to say in my usual Wordy manner is I am very comfortable here with all you 'Regular' guys. Yes, a toyota 4wd chassis is pushing it, a cummins diesel, well that's at least american, sawing the cab off a perfectly good 47 pickup to build a non original wood wagon, But it is stuff I have had for many years. And you guys let me do all this without being 'flamed'. I have no idea where I would go next if my stuff wasn't welcomed here. I love this site, and thanks to all of you. If I were the moderator (or king of the world) I wouldn't change a thing......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:59 PM   #175
Tinker

GB. I get where you are coming from. Maybe we like what you do on a personal level as you have been around for a long while and know basically where your heart is. Hope you keep posting.

If this place turns into frame swaps, mustang 2, air bags, disc brakes, and sbc swaps. Well that would really suck and turn this place into just another forum for "old" fords.

The heart of this place is old fords and how they were. With a few mods. I like a good 50's mod'ed hotrod.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #176
wagoon

Thanks
wagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #177
steve40coop

oops, Joined yesterday, and guess I got the WRONG web site !
Will search for Jalopy site !
I could build anything, (and usually do )
Good luck to you.
steve40coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #178
Hans hendrik

Dear all,
Also my Ford is not standard, it's custom made in the 50's , build on a 37 Ford chassis with a 48 rear axle, but I'm sure you will like it when it is ready.
Indy race cars were often one off, I see it as a compliment to the Ford company that these cars were based on "their" sturdy chassis , huge brakes and beautiful design

And i'm glad I can learn from the huge experties available on this marvelous Ford Barn website
Hans hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #179
Daves55Sedan

As far as "hot-rodding" posts, I pass on those few posts I do see in the fordbarn. But MODIFICATIONS which may be required for continued driveability in this day and age are always a welcome sight to me.
Case in point, we see many questions in both early and late V8 forums on the use of electric fuel pumps for our cars that have 8BA, EAB, EBU, Holley 2100's and ECG (bugsprayer) type carburators.
Another example is a lot of people are switching to electronic ignition (Pertronix or Accel) since offshore points and condenser reproductions are LOUSY!
Personally, I have not made any modifications to my 100% factory stock '55 Ford Y-block YET, but the time is coming when I will get tired of pulling the oil-bath air-cleaner of the EBU carb so I can dump a little gas from a bent tuna can down the air tube into the float bowl just to start the car. Keeping my fingers crossed on an old condenser I put in two years ago. But she runs good every day.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:55 PM   #180
falconedsel

Got it.
falconedsel is offline   Reply With Quote