Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #21
nhusa

Default Re: Stolen 1929 model a ford speedster and trailer

If you guys didn't have trailers they would not be stolen.

It's your fault!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
If you guys didn't have trailers they would not be stolen.

It's your fault!
Sad but true that I've heard that very thing from lawyers and upheld by judges.

If car B hadn't been on the road that day the accident wouldn't have happened, so they are at least 50% at fault.

How stupid is that.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You are correct that you don't need to register it, but always remember that your trailer can be sans a license plate in about 30 seconds by a thief with a small screw gun. The best way IMO is to install a small GPS tracking device to the undercarriage of the trailer. If the trailer becomes missing, just use your smart phone to detect the location.
Small screw gun (and a ladder) - my tag is over 8' up in upper left corner of the drop door.
While parked at home, I'm not too worried - they would have to move a 30,000 lb Motor Home (with locked Air Brakes).
Out on the road, GPS might not be a bad idea - a couple of months back I finally dumped my flip phone for one of those fancy contraptions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170522_124407115.jpg (48.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

The orange 1929 Model A Ford has been found...damaged but in police custody. The trailer plate has been removed from the trailer but it is still missing.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
Terry, NJ

I guess it might help if we were to get a set of stamps and stamp the Ser# in several places that are not obvious on the trailer. I had a big sign trailer (8' X 12") that occasionally parked along highways. To prevent it from being stolen, I drilled a 1" hole in the rims and passed a 3/4 pipe through. I had welded a a large washer on one end and I drilled the other end with a 3/8 hole. It was almost impossible to get in a position where you could get a clean shot on the lock with a hammer to break it. The other side tried to steal it one night and found out about the bar/pipe that was jamming the wheels from turning, then they got mad and turned it over. No damage done!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas6 View Post
Small screw gun (and a ladder) - my tag is over 8' up in upper left corner of the drop door.
While parked at home, I'm not too worried - they would have to move a 30,000 lb Motor Home (with locked Air Brakes).
Out on the road, GPS might not be a bad idea - a couple of months back I finally dumped my flip phone for one of those fancy contraptions.

Yeah, it appears the idea of those new 'Smart Phones' is catching-on where they will be around for awhile!

Stop by one day for a visit and we'll go to lunch.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #27
pgerhardt

I think it is an interesting observation that all the Model A's that are stolen seem to be on a trailer. I doubt that a young (most likely) thief would have any idea how to get a model A started.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #28
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
I think it is an interesting observation that all the Model A's that are stolen seem to be on a trailer. I doubt that a young (most likely) thief would have any idea how to get a model A started.
that and it would be blatantly obvious driving around and hard to sell for quick. If you paint your trailers wild colors with huge designs on them that stand out even to non car people they are way less likely to be stolen.

Most stolen cars are also the most popular as they blend in. Someone steals a silver honda civic or a white work van no-ones going to blink an eye if they see one.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #29
Jeff/Illinois

Maybe it would be a good idea to paint some kind of logo on the roof of an enclosed trailer with bright neon colors, it would be easier to spot from the air.

As Dennis said in #20---------- it was just on the news this weekend that auto thefts are at an all time high in the Quad Cities, setting new records for cars stolen. The favorite trick the thieves are using is to get a 12 year old kid to steal a car as 'initiation' into the gang, the kid gets caught, and nothing happens to him really. Almost all of these low lifes are coming from one parent families, the dad is long gone, and the kids don't learn right from wrong.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #30
Tinbasher

Here's a crazy one. I use to work in the Insurance business. Thief's would steal a truck and then a trailer and go and break-in and steal whatever they where after. Then when they where done they would drop the truck and trailer off some where. So the trailer may show up.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #31
denis4x4

Friend had an enclosed trailer for a '37 Jaguar SS 100 and had the whole thing covered in graphics advertising manure recycling.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #32
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
A buddy of mine had his enclosed trailer stolen. He had his name in large vinyl lettering on the side. He found someone towing it maybe a year later. The vinyl had been removed but you could clearly see the name because the paint faded. He blocked it in at a gas station and called the cops. They came and let the guy go (with the trailer) because the serial numbers were ground off.
That is DUMB! Over here, the guy claiming to be the owner would be asked by the Police if there were any identifying features only the genuine owner would know. They would then check the trailer and if the marks were there, like a non standard hole in a certain place or a dent here or there, then identification is made and the thief has a lot of questions to answer, to say the least. Sounds to me that the cops just didn't care. FAIL!
Oh yeh, and having a trailer where an attempt had been made to conceal its identity is an offense on its own. DOUBLEFAIL!

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-23-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #33
Frank Miller

Just curious about states not requiring tags. How do you fare driving in other states that require them? Bret mentioned a GPS tracking device, might I also mention a hidden camera near the hitch, which might capture the thieves and the license plate.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #34
31Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Just curious about states not requiring tags. How do you fare driving in other states that require them? Bret mentioned a GPS tracking device, might I also mention a hidden camera near the hitch, which might capture the thieves and the license plate.
I think the law of one state where the item is registered, carries over to the law of another. Just like one state only requires a rear tag, and you don't have to put a front tag on your car when you go into a state that registers that way.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #35
jthomas6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
That's part of the reason why I have Title and Tag on mine, even though Tn doesn't require it. I seldom use my trailer in state, but didn't want questions from HP when dragging it through other states.

"I think it is an interesting observation that all the Model A's that are stolen seem to be on a trailer. I doubt that a young (most likely) thief would have any idea how to get a model A started."

A couple of years back I had my roadster at a local car show. Young teenage boy was looking it over real close. I pulled out a $5 bill, handed him the key, and told him he could have the $5 - if he could start it. I kept my $5, then walked him through the routine required - he was fascinated by it all.

Last edited by jthomas6; 05-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
jthomas6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #36
old car guy

When I had my shop we occasionally built a trailer for a customer. I would have the DMV tag attached from the state. Then I would take the numbers and go under the trailer and put them on everything we could put them on. Axles spindles frame members cross members etc. also on the tops of the doors . My guys used to complain regularly about the extra hour or so of engraving. Till about three or four that were stolen were found and gotten back because of the "hidden numbers " I noticed that they started engraving numbers on just about everything we built while making them invisible to the average guy..
hope they find all of the missing items and lock the sorry rustlers up. But jails really to good for them
Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #37
daveymc29

A good outcome story. I had a friend that had some horses out in the country and he bought those large 1500 lb. hay bails. He and the bride went off somewhere for an evening out and the Rhodes Scholars struck. They drove their truck to his barn and climbed atop the haystack, pried a bail loose and had it aimed at the bed of their truck. Pushed real hard and sure enough off it came and fell into the truck bed, just as planned. From there the plan sort of got sent to hell as the bail pushed the center of the truck clear to the ground, then bounced out and landed beside the truck. The thieves then panicked and jumped in the truck to make their escape. The managed to drive it about a hundred yards down his drive before it quit and all the oil in the transmission and the differential leaked out. Being clever lads they hooked another vehicle to it and pulled it about another hundred yards before everything froze up and they had to abandon it. I never heard if they got caught or if he even bothered to report it. He was a sort who probably let it slide as he had suffered no loss.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:14 AM   #38
Pinesdune

Glad the car was found. Shame honest folk have to protect their belongings to such an extent from unruly idiots. Thought I'd post this link, https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ck/A-p8476046e

Any trailer sales place that's not secured with an enclosed compound uses these or ones like them on all their trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote