Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
RB35

Default Rocker arm adjusting screws

I need to replace my rocker arm adjusting screws (with locknuts) on a 60's 292 y-block. Does anyone know where to get replacements or an aftermarket brand? Can you substitute anything similar like a mopar? What diameter ball end will fit the pushrods?
Thanks for your help
RB35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Rocker arm adjusting screws

Ask either of these outfits. They have decades of knowledge & experience in obtaining quality replacement parts for their engine work.

http://yblockguy.com/

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/

Some after-market / reproduction adj screws are made way off-shore and have very poor metal quality. Usable life measured in weeks, or months if you're lucky.

IIRC... Ford changed the adjusting screws to a self-locking style, no lock nuts, starting in '57.
A previous owner may have replaced the original 60's rocker arms for 50's versions. If you have the ECG rocker arms it's a good thing.
http://ford-y-block.com/rockerarm.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocker arm adj bolts.jpg (96.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-25-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
RB35

Crane Cams, part # CRN 99680-16 for FE eng. will fit. I'll check with Ted to see what he uses.
Thanks,
RB
RB35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Gene F

i hear there was an oil improvement kit that could be easily retrofitted to the Y-block rocker arms. Any one know how I can pull the valve cover and tell if this has been done to my engine, or how i can obtain and retrofit? My engine runs perfect, and I want to keep it that way. I can't ask the prior owner, he passed away.

With the never oils, I'm nervous. Although I use Lucas Hot Rod oil, or the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, I'd still like to know that those rocker arms are going to last,....

Gene 1957 Fairlane
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
i hear there was an oil improvement kit that could be easily retrofitted to the Y-block rocker arms. Any one know how I can pull the valve cover and tell if this has been done to my engine, or how i can obtain and retrofit? My engine runs perfect, and I want to keep it that way. I can't ask the prior owner, he passed away.

With the never oils, I'm nervous. Although I use Lucas Hot Rod oil, or the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, I'd still like to know that those rocker arms are going to last,....

Gene 1957 Fairlane

I believe the oil kit your talking about involves running a small oil line from one of the oil galleys on the side of the block just above the oil pan rail. Then through the valve cover and into the hollow rocker shaft. If your car has it, you can tell without removing a valve cover.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
scicala

Also, I really don't think those kits are made anymore, unless you can find an NOS one.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
The valve train in Y-block engines needs a motor oil (or additive) with a high zinc & phosphorous content.
Most diesel engine rated motor oils meet the specs, but motor oils for gasoline engines with emissions equipment don't have it. See this link.....

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/EngineOil.php

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-16-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
50fordcoupeman

dmsfrr............do you have an opinion on Valvoline 20/50 VR 1 racing oil? It was recommended by members of the Portland OR TBird club. It was said that this oil has sufficient content of ZZDP to protect flat tappet cams.
Thanks.................
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #9
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post
dmsfrr............do you have an opinion on Valvoline 20/50 VR 1 racing oil? It was recommended by members of the Portland OR TBird club. It was said that this oil has sufficient content of ZZDP to protect flat tappet cams.
Thanks.................
I used Valvoline 20w-50 Racing exclusively in some off-road vehicles and my daily drivers back in the 80's & 90's and liked it. But they weren't 50's/early 60's era cars, and it wasn't VR1.
I didn't have a VR1 opinion until you asked, here's what I found...

A couple sentences copied from the Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil website and its "Overview" section...
"Formulated for race engines, but compatible with passenger vehicles too." "Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil's high zinc provides race-level protection for high performance engines on the race track and is compatible with passenger vehicles."
http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...vr1-racing-oil

The first thing that catches my eye is the phrase "compatible with passenger vehicles".
This could very easily mean it doesn't have enough zddp to contaminate the emission equipment in a modern car, and by implication wouldn't be 'enough' for a Y-block engine.
Here's the VR1 10w-30 & 20w-50 grade Racing Oil spec sheet. It does show the zddp levels, but are they a percentage by weight, volume or what?
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf
I have no way to compare their numbers to the PPM measurements on the Gil's Garage page. (linked below)

Going by the More-is-Better theory, I'd prefer an oil with a higher level of zddp that makes it 'Not for use in emission equipped passenger vehicles.'
The other side of that coin... because valve train wear can take place over a relatively long period of time & mileage using an oil with what could be slightly lower zddp levels(???) it might not ever be noticeable.
I guess it comes down to personal preference...

The zddp parts-per-million levels of a couple oils are shown on this page...
"Modern heavy-duty diesel engine oils have lots of ZDDP additives and will be marked "CI-4 or CI-4 Plus"
https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/EngineOil2.php

Even more reading material...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Valv...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
Daves55Sedan

The first thing that caught my eye was that you mentioned LOCKNUTS on a 1960's rocker arm. I think they changed the adjusting screws to a type with resistance in the threads in 1957, so if your engine has the adjusting screws with the locknut, the rockers are from a '56 or earlier engine. If your screws are just worn out, I don't think you can interchange the old type adjusters with locknuts in a '57 & later rocker arm. I am pretty sure the thread per inch count is different on the older adjusters. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong). I believe you can buy the later type adjusters new from one of the resto parts suppliers.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
i hear there was an oil improvement kit that could be easily retrofitted to the Y-block rocker arms.
My two cents, I would forget about those old top oilers. Todays oil is much better refined than the crude of the '50's & '60's which often sludged up in the small oil passages to the heads. You don't need them anymore.

Quote:
I don't know what "never" oil is, but I would be very skeptical. What you need to be most worried about here is the fact that these engines have solid lifters and they need ZINC content in the oil to help prevent wear. I use Valvoline premium Blue 15W-40 diesel oil in my Y-block most often. And it is not the best, but it is commonly stocked by most of the chain auto parts stores.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Hot Rod Reverend

ThInk he meant "newer oils"
Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #13
miker98038

Gene, those old "top end oiler kits" were for motors that were plugged up. No oil changes, non detergent oil and road draft tubes. Not an improvement, a band aid from tearing the motor down and cleaning the sludge out.

The zinc oil content is covered well above.

The rockers had tubes on the ends. Some of us remove those, tap in a plug, and drill the plug to release a small amount of oil. Others pinch the tube down. Either way pressurizes the rockers, ensuring adequate oil flow in a well maintained motor.

The tubes directed oil to the front cover for the timing chain, and the distributor gear. Opinions vary on what's needed. You can find more info at yblocksforver.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote