Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
ersatz

Default Where to Find LED Tail Lights for '46 Truck ?

I have a 1946 Ford Pickup, 6V, with positive ground. I'd like to try LED tail lights, but I can't find any to mate with the standard 21C-13470 bracket.

Can anyone recommend a source?

I'm currently running a bulb & halogen combo tail light and not pleased with them. I've painted the inside of each assembly with white paint as well.
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Where to Find LED Tail Lights for '46 Truck ?

I sounds like you are trying to replace your housing with an LED light. If you can't find a LED replacement for your lenses, you might consider placing a LED unit in your light housing. Lambert Enterprises sells different size LED boards and maybe you can find one to fit yours. The idea is to get the largest amount of LEDs that will fit your space.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Old Henry

I'm afraid that I have searched long and hard for 6 volt LED lights and have not found any. That is why I also run halogen bulbs in my tail lights. If you're not getting enough light from them you may need larger wire. I did. I figured to light up the two halogen brake light filaments together I needed 9 gauge wire so ran such from the starter solenoid through a circuit breaker and relay switched by my brake light switch (current for the halogens is too much for the brake light switch - burned out my $35.00 Ron Francis switch in two months.)

I'm not sure what you mean by the "bulb and halogen" combo you're running. I just put this combo tail light and brake light halogen bulb in my single socket and works fine (with the heavier wire explained above, of course.)

Available here: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-fo...0R3CHL1113361/

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
40cpe

Some of Lambert's kits are available in 6 or 12 V.

http://www.lambertenterprises.com/

It is a matter of finding one that will fit in the housing. I've talked to them at their booth at events and they were very patient and helpful. I installed their lights in my '40 about 15 years ago and they are still fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
40cpe

[QUOTE=Old Henry;392156]I'm afraid that I have searched long and hard for 6 volt LED lights and have not found any.

Henry, Lambert's kit for the '48 is noted to be available in 6 or 12 volts. You have maybe gone too far to switch now, though.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Old Henry

[QUOTE=40cpe;392218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I'm afraid that I have searched long and hard for 6 volt LED lights and have not found any.

Henry, Lambert's kit for the '48 is noted to be available in 6 or 12 volts. You have maybe gone too far to switch now, though.
I forgot to mention that all of my effort to run halogen bulbs is because I run blue dot tail light lenses. Can't get those in LEDs.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
40cpe

I'm not selling for Lambert, but these mount behind your lenses.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I'm not selling for Lambert, but these mount behind your lenses.
I looked at them and see that they might work if they have them for 6 volt. The web site says such are limited and I'll have to call them Monday to find out.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
Terry,OH

You can find 6V LED tail light bulbs http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...57-x12-24V.htm
I run these on two cars. You want the white or clear light not red. Note this is for an 1154 type bulb socket (offset pins in the base ) so make sure your sockets are for this style ( NOT 1158) or you will have to change the socket .
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
ersatz

Hi & many thanks for everyone's input! I've included a few pics of my tail light assembly and its interior. As you can see the bulb on the left is the halogen 55 Watt (directional), and the right is a standard type T63 bulb (brakes). I've considered using Superbright LED bulbs, but there is limited space between the T63 bulb and the glass lense. My preception of the LED bulbs is that they are large, maybe I'm wrong. If it weren't for the curved shape of the glass lense, the T63 bulb wouldn't fit. I've also thought about swapping out the current tail light assemblies and substituting LED tail light assemblies made for 1928-31 Model A's which are readily available. They're not proper, but maybe safer. I will be contacting Lambert Enterprises this week to see what help they can offer. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again!

Last edited by ersatz; 04-11-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
ersatz

BACK AGAIN.....
I contacted Lambert Enterprises today and spoke with Ron. He was most helpful in explaining things to me. They have a LED card that will convert my tail light assemblies without problems, # LE-33F.

Once again I appreciate everyone's helpfulness. Have a GREAT cruising season!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Your basic light is the same as the several 1933-36 passenger cars as well as numerous trucks, so the parts are likely cataloged as for earlier models.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Gary Duff

40cpe---Thanks for the tip on Ron Lambert. Ordered 6 volt tail lights for my 40 coupe
this morning. Did not think I would ever find someone willing to do 6 volt positive
ground. Doing a round trip from Seattle to Yellowstone Park in June, and it will be nice to be seen.
Gary
Gary Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
John Kennedy

LED's viewing angle is narrower than a standard bulb, so aim your tailights up a bit for best effect.
Also I've found most kits don't limit the taillights enough (too bright) so when you hit the brakes not enough difference to grab attention.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
ersatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Your basic light is the same as the several 1933-36 passenger cars as well as numerous trucks, so the parts are likely cataloged as for earlier models.
Bruce.......thanks for the reference on the '33-'36 light fitment! Knowing the proper years has certainly made the search much easier.