Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Anteek29

Default Piston Stop - Timing

I want to verify the ignition timing on my 272, beginning with the #1 piston at the top of the compression stroke. I've read the term "Piston Stop" so what is the best way to confirm once I pull the spark plug? You guys use a cable tie? Car is manual shift, so I can push/pull in 3rd. to move the crank as needed. TY!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Piston Stop - Timing

Checking to see if piston # 1 TDC matches the pulley timing marks can be easily done with the distributor in place.
With all the spark plugs out and the right side valve cover off I used a remote start switch, then a socket wrench on the crank pulley to rotate the engine until cyl # 1 intake valve opened & then closed.
With a finger in the cyl 1 spark plug hole I carefully continued turning the crank pulley (clockwise) with the socket wrench until I could feel the top of the piston coming up the last bit and stop moving, at TDC, which should line up with the timing pointer at the crank pulley.
The rotor will also be lined up with plug wire # 1 on the distributor cap.

Fyi, if there is a gasket of any kind between the distributor housing and block, remove it. It can ruin expensive parts. https://www.ctci.org/distributor-installation/

Depending on which style of crank pulley is on the engine, IF the weight ring has timing marks on it, the ring can easily slip out of position when the rubber layer fails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firing order, right side.jpg (44.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ford crank pulley w arrows.jpg (32.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-01-2021 at 11:08 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Piston Stop - Timing

Quote:
A more accurate way to locate (TDC) is by using a piston stop tool. Screw the tool into the #1 spark plug hole by hand; and then slowly rotate the crankshaft by hand until the piston come up against the stop.

Mark your balancer with a marker, and then slowly rotate the crankshaft by hand in the opposite direction; until you come up against the stop again.

Mark your balancer again. Measure the distance between the two marks and divide by two. As a result, This is your (TDC).
SOURCE - https://dannysengineportal.com/top-d...of-its-stroke/

Read the entire article. Anything you do not understand, ask.

That is all there is to it finding TDC. The engine has to be turned by hand. Disconnect the NEG BAT TERM to prevent an accident.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Anteek29

OK...now I understand the meaning and use of Piston Stop - TY!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
OK...now I understand the meaning and use of Piston Stop - TY!
Maybe it's just me, yes a piston stop will work, I'm just not a fan of putting immovable metal objects into the spark plug holes.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Piston Stop - Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Maybe it's just me, yes a piston stop will work, I'm just not a fan of putting immovable metal objects into the spark plug holes.
There is no other quick way of determining TDC (non-HP engine). Only need to go further if the cam timing has been modified (using degree wheel). Of course you would need to ascertain timing set integrity before performing procedure.

ADDENDUM - (Fr. For More Info)

Quote:
What Is Chain Stretch?

The name ‘chain stretch’ is actually fairly misleading. Contrary to popular belief, the chain isn’t stretching at all. “The real name is chain elongation,” says Zerger, “It occurs when the chain articulates as it goes around the sprocket and pin wears on the bushing to the point that the length of the pitch elongates.”
SOURCE - https://www.ibtinc.com/how-to-measure-chain-stretch/

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-01-2021 at 12:12 PM. Reason: CAN'T GET ACT TOGETHER - THAT AND CRS
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote