Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Bondolero

Default 1932 ford bumper

Questions:

Is this an original ?

If not or can't tell how can I determine ?

If not who is making nicest repo

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0201.jpg (117.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0202.jpg (111.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
32Bee

Default Re: 1932 ford bumper

It has always been my understanding original 32 bumpers have no large washer inside the
large center knuckle. The reproduction bumpers do which aids in bending the radius of this
knuckle. Also the original center knuckle of each end is slightly larger on originals. So, stick
one of your fingers inside to feel for a washer or, if there's no stainless cap on one end,
simply look inside. I wouldn't know who to recommend for a repro, but can only assume
they are probably all being made by the same concern.

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Fordors

While there may be correct '32 reproduction bumpers produced the repros I've seen are straight between the brackets. Original bumpers have a crown (or large radius) to them when viewed from the top.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondolero View Post
Questions:

Is this an original ?

If not or can't tell how can I determine ?

If not who is making nicest repo

thanks
Hey Bondolero,
I had set of '32 original bumpers (I thought), until I spoke with a guy who claimed to be an expert on the subject.
He said to look on the inside of the bumpers very near their ends. There is a stamping in there if they are original. Mine had no stamping. He wanted to buy my '32 bumper set, for restoration work, until he was told that they contain no such stamping.
Correct info or not..I'm no expert, but have always looked for stamping when looking at '32 bumpers...maybe a snipe like thing, eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Bondolero

Mine have no washers inside. When you sa radius are you talking about the overall arch of the bumper or the deep arch of the ribs ?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
Floyd

real 32 bumpers are extremely tough, made from a spring steel. The back side is rough finish like hot rolled strip.(which it is). Real ones may or may not have a stamped symbol on the back side, mine has an X and the other one has a diamond. Real ones do not have the washer inside the knuckle. real ones have a nice curve near the end as it approaches the knuckle. Almost all real ones have cracks at the bolt holes. Look for welding repair on back side. Real ones have a large knuckle or many have a slightly smaller knuckle.
Reproductions: Not spring steel, bend easily. Have very smooth back surface. Do not have any symbols stamped into them. All have small knuckle. All have washer inside knuckle. Seldom or never have bolt hole cracks or signs of repair. All have a kink near the end (about 9 inches) before it reaches the knuckle instead of a nice curve.
Real ones look different than repros once you know the difference.
Real ones are available, they will need replating, (and crack repair).
My opinion, and owner of 3 real 32 bumpers
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Bondolero

Thanks guys, the ease with which I bent this one and smooth finish on the back lead me to believe I need to just buy a USA made new one. I know the Rock Valley ones are very high quality plating.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
DavidG

As it would be extremely difficult to remove the washers from the ends of the reproduction, that's the simple way to separate the wheat from the chaff. The other acid test is the curl inward on the ends. On original bumpers the end of the steel is tightly curved all the way into the corner on the back of bumper whereas on the reproduction the curve peters out and ends up only slightly less than perpendicular where it ends on the back of the bumper.

The curvature and cracked hole criteria are only valid on newly manufactured reproduction bumpers. The X, C, or diamond marks on the back are indicative of original bumpers, but only most, not all originals had those marks. While in the minority of surviving originals, 'small knuckle' bumpers are just as authentic as 'large knuckle' bumpers.

Reproduction '32 bumpers have been available for decades and were originally made by an Indiana company called Girtz (sp?) Welding. I don't think that there has ever been more than one company making them at any one time.

Last edited by DavidG; 07-17-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: additional information
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
Andy

The up and down shape on ginnie ones is all curves. The repos have bends and flat spots between the bends, The original bumper bolts do not fit the shape and have gaps.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Karl Wescott

Reproduction bumpers were (and are) made by Metal Fab Engineering, previously Ezra Welding, originally Paul Ezra. United Pacific has just jumped into the ring with a Taiwan made one, though I have not evaluated them. Elmer Girtz-Grirtz Welding-Girtz Industries is about 10 miles away from Ezra and made top irons and small fender brackets. They exited the antique car market about 8 years ago.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
DavidG

Karl,

Thanks for the history. I mixed up my Ezras and Girtzs.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Pick up one of each and after that you'll be able to distinguish with your eyes closed! Originals are a lot heavier. Repros feel like you could bend then double over your knee... they are purely trim pieces, unable to keep even a shopping cart out of your grill. Repro mount arms are also not up to their job...they are soft mild steel and will simply bend if struck.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
real 32 bumpers are extremely tough, made from a spring steel. The back side is rough finish like hot rolled strip.(which it is). Real ones may or may not have a stamped symbol on the back side, mine has an X and the other one has a diamond. Real ones do not have the washer inside the knuckle. real ones have a nice curve near the end as it approaches the knuckle. Almost all real ones have cracks at the bolt holes. Look for welding repair on back side. Real ones have a large knuckle or many have a slightly smaller knuckle.
Reproductions: Not spring steel, bend easily. Have very smooth back surface. Do not have any symbols stamped into them. All have small knuckle. All have washer inside knuckle. Seldom or never have bolt hole cracks or signs of repair. All have a kink near the end (about 9 inches) before it reaches the knuckle instead of a nice curve.
Real ones look different than repros once you know the difference.
Real ones are available, they will need replating, (and crack repair).
My opinion, and owner of 3 real 32 bumpers
Hey Floyd,
I'll vouch for the 'evidence' that you present here.
Today, I looked at two '32 genie bumpers. Applied your information and voila...real '32 s !
They were HEAVY. They both had markings (differing) on backs. They had an unfinished 'chrome' look on backs. They had knuckles that I could stick my little finger thru middle to find no washer. They looked good, but at $450 were a little more than I wanted to spend. Both needed some weld cleaning and replating, if that is your thing.

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-25-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: ............
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Floyd

Now you know what real ones look like. Part II is to go look at a repro bumper with your new critical eye. You may decide that the difference is huge, (it is). Even politically correct Bruce Lancaster came down pretty hard on the repros. Also mentioned is that the profile of the corrugated shape is way different between the two bumpers, so much that bumper bolts become a big problem. However real bumper bolts fit perfectly on real bumpers.
$450 is not that bad of a price for the pair. They go for about $200+ each in condition that can be replated (and the cracks will need to be fixed.) If it was me, I would buy them and see if the guy has bumper bolts. I don't know if Faith plating still exists, but I had Van Nuys plating handle my bumpers and they turned out perfect.
My opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
Ian NZ

I made mine out of 2.5mm Stainless steel, did not like the repros.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 3W Rear.jpg (109.5 KB, 40 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Now you know what real ones look like. Part II is to go look at a repro bumper with your new critical eye. You may decide that the difference is huge, (it is). Even politically correct Bruce Lancaster came down pretty hard on the repros. Also mentioned is that the profile of the corrugated shape is way different between the two bumpers, so much that bumper bolts become a big problem. However real bumper bolts fit perfectly on real bumpers.
$450 is not that bad of a price for the pair. They go for about $200+ each in condition that can be replated (and the cracks will need to be fixed.) If it was me, I would buy them and see if the guy has bumper bolts. I don't know if Faith plating still exists, but I had Van Nuys plating handle my bumpers and they turned out perfect.
My opinion
The guy with the genie bumpers has the bolts with bumpers. Bolts in excellent condition.
You may be correct, in that plating businesses have been disappearing due to EPA/whatever regs. I must confess that I was looking for 'junk' bumpers to make something for my '30 roadster. Hm, could not bring myself to do this mod to these two. They are not going anywhere, as they are back in the hills in a shed/barn....with about a million $ worth of '32 stuff !
The old gent has been a hoarder/collector of '32 stuff since he's 14 yrs old.