Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #21
hangarb7

Default Re: Model A Driving trips

C26Pinelake, what does this mean? "until I was informed that Hagerty and SilverWheels do not allow the car in a commercial parking lot." I never heard that before and I never saw anything from Hagerty that said that, although I have not examined the policy to that level. Does that mean I can't drive it to Walmart or a restaurant? Or just a lot near where a person works? (I am retired) I did drive it to work a few years ago when we had an employee car show day.

Our club here in Pittsburgh, PA is the same as JacksonIII, we plan in February for the year and folks volunteer to be tour directors and they decide where they want to lead a tour. We typically have two a month thru October and a few overnighters as well.

The second most common question is, "Do you drive it much?" I guess people expect that we leave them just sitting most of the time. I take mine whenever and where ever I can. I love to take it to Home Depot to pick up stuff! C26Pinelake are you saying that I am voiding my Hagerty insurance by doing that?

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
SeaSlugs

Should read YOUR policy as different states have laws in regards to insurance. If you haven't you should really should read all of your policys (homeowners too). Some stuff is pretty blah but there is interesting things like UFO's, missiles, war damage, meteorites, are all NOT covered under my policy. It also says if my dwelling or vehicles are commandeered for military/police use they are no longer covered at all nor anything in them.

Yes some classic car insurance companies only allow you to drive to and from shows, stopping off somewhere does not count and they can deny your claim if your car gets hit. Insurance companies are just that: a company. They want to make money and cant do it if they just pay out for everything and will find every way possible to NOT pay out.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #23
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

My understanding of my Hagerty policy is, I have a 3000 mile per year driving limit and that's it. I'm somewhat restricted on when and where I can drive according to how I have my A registered in Illinois. 1 Nov to 1 May is travel to shows, events or the gas station only.......... Every time else is GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might up that mileage limit, one of my hold backs from driving long distances and overnight stays is not with me anymore.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangarb7 View Post
C26Pinelake, what does this mean? "until I was informed that Hagerty and SilverWheels do not allow the car in a commercial parking lot." I never heard that before and I never saw anything from Hagerty that said that, although I have not examined the policy to that level. Does that mean I can't drive it to Walmart or a restaurant? Or just a lot near where a person works? (I am retired) I did drive it to work a few years ago when we had an employee car show day.

Our club here in Pittsburgh, PA is the same as JacksonIII, we plan in February for the year and folks volunteer to be tour directors and they decide where they want to lead a tour. We typically have two a month thru October and a few overnighters as well.

The second most common question is, "Do you drive it much?" I guess people expect that we leave them just sitting most of the time. I take mine whenever and where ever I can. I love to take it to Home Depot to pick up stuff! C26Pinelake are you saying that I am voiding my Hagerty insurance by doing that?

JackD
In response I am saying yes in my opinion you are voiding your coverage. I was informed by my agent that there was no travel to and from work under any circumstances and that department stores and big box parking lots were considered high risk areas and were not covered. He said these were not considered antique car activities. You should ask your questions directly to Hagerty or ask for guidelines concerning coverage. I was also told that overnight storage had to be in a shelter and could not be in a driveway where the only protection was a car cover. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
mcorrell

I would say your insurance agent is being overly anal about things. That would mean that while driving to a meet or event I couldn't stop at a Walmart or other retail/commercial establishment to purchase needed supplies (oil, coolant, food). Also I often drive my '64 Buick to overnight events where I park at a hotel or timeshare...generally no garages involved. I've seen no such exclusions in my Hagerty policy and I've read it fairly thoroughly. Luckily I've never needed to make a claim for my classic cars. I will never allow an insurance company to dictate my activities. I believe if you are putting over a few thousand miles/year on your classic car they may look at that as not being in the realm of collector car usage regardless of where you park. I asked my agent about driving to work occasionally and I got a no problem as long as the mileage isn't excessive (no stated numbers). Just my $0.02.

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #26
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The only time that my insurance agent asks me about where my car resides is when I suspend the insurance for a while (at a much lower rate), it's being stored / worked on, but definitely not driven, but the comprehensive portion is still in effect. Then they just want it to be in an enclosed garage. Otherwise they don't care where I drive or park it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #27
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrell View Post
I would say your insurance agent is being overly anal about things. That would mean that while driving to a meet or event I couldn't stop at a Walmart or other retail/commercial establishment to purchase needed supplies (oil, coolant, food). Also I often drive my '64 Buick to overnight events where I park at a hotel or timeshare...generally no garages involved. I've seen no such exclusions in my Hagerty policy and I've read it fairly thoroughly. Luckily I've never needed to make a claim for my classic cars. I will never allow an insurance company to dictate my activities. I believe if you are putting over a few thousand miles/year on your classic car they may look at that as not being in the realm of collector car usage regardless of where you park. I asked my agent about driving to work occasionally and I got a no problem as long as the mileage isn't excessive (no stated numbers). Just my $0.02.
i indeed hope you are right and my agent is wrong. I parked at the cottage where there is no garage and I sustained $20 thousand damage to my 32 Chrysler. The agent told me that any further damage that occurred while stored over night in a non sheltered domain would not be covered. My policy clearly states no travel to or from work. One of our agents is incompetent ancient hope it is mine for your sake. Wayne Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #28
brum1

In good weather, drive on weekends around our towns back roads, local tours with the club, and New England meets
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
daveymc29

It appears to me that a lot of us get the cars out and drive them for the fun of it. I live where there are hundreds if not thousands of classic and antique cars. I find it odd that we so seldom see any farer out on the road by itself. Sometimes at the cars and coffee get-together and the Blackhawk museum a couple will show up, but on the street we often see a Model a and seldom a Ferrari. So maybe we enjoy our machines more?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #30
Osage Orange

Smile Re: Model A Driving trips

In the summer of 1969, I met a beautiful, dark-haired girl at a wedding that I had driven to in my '29 A coupe. At the reception, I asked her out for the next night. I think she was shocked to ride in the rattletrap coupe with no radio, no seatbelts, hardly any lights and a long-haired nonconformist behind the wheel. She was a high school senior from Joplin, I a Kansas City college student working during the summer. Never saw her again, but I hope I gave her that "forbidden fruit" experience that I think she yearned for. I certainly did my best.
Osage Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #31
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Excellent vehicle for weekend local yard sale hopping. Used to use the old Mercedes Benz but the sellers thought that I was some kind of rich slob and jacked up their prices on the junk. Being an old guy driving around in a peeling paint, beat up Model A Ford sedan they feel sorry for me. Being so perfectly Norman Rockwell style faux folksy that the local yokel yuppie rubes suck it down hook, line and sinker.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #32
Ian Curtis

Long trips are the best, always fun to see the reactions when people find out how far afield you are!

This past summer my wife & I took a 350 mile trip out to the Olympic Peninsula over a long weekend, our longest consecutive trip. Our longest day was something a little over 150 miles, and I have a new found respect for folks who take long extended trips.

We've taken trips up in the mountains, and along the sound, as well as other trips with the club I've never written up. In fact, our first real drive after we bought the truck was a 100 mile club tour. I figured if we were going to break down, there's no better way to do it!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #33
Cornishman

I'm lucky. Around my home I can find well graded open roads with very little traffic in all directions. Perfect for a drive out just for the drive or a rendez-vous au restaurant à midi.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote