Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #721
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's Auto Works View Post
Hello Gary,

Click on the User CP, then you will see "Your Control Panel" on the left side. Go down to "Edit Options" click on it & then you will see a section called "Messaging & Notifications" Clikc on it & then go to Default Thread Sub. Mode. Click the down arrow & it will give you the choice you are looking for!

Mine is set on "Do Not Subscribe"

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bill, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to respond to my request. Have done as you directed and hopefully will stop my stories coming back. I logged onto your website and subscribed. I was intending to leave a comment but couldn't figure out how to do that, so please accept this posting as my thankyou. gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #722
Bill's Auto Works

You are quite welcome Gary!

I find it humorous how computer settings change without us changing them! I think mischievous little "gremlins" invade our computers from time to time! LOL

God Bless
Bill

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #723
woofa.express

From Bill's Auto Works.
I find it humorous how computer settings change without us changing them! I think mischievous little "gremlins" invade our computers from time to time!

No, these gremlins don't invade my computer, they have taken up permanent residence in my computer. I'm about take delivery of a new apple laptop. I've had a good run from Dell but don't like Microsoft because they update their programs too frequently and that takes me months to become familiar with. Apple, I'm told don't. Hope I've been told correctly.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-04-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #724
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
continued from yesterday.

Ferrying to Malaysia or return wasn’t always easy. It’s in tropical weather. Darwin 12 degrees south and destination Sahabit is 4 degrees north. It’s an area that’s subjected to tropical thunderstorms. These fellows extend up to and sometimes higher than 35k feet. At times even airliners can’t outclimb them. I’d need to cruise at altitudes between sea level and 15k feet. Never enter them. I’d prefer to enter the ring with Mohamed Ali than do that. Our fuel load (1.9 ton, full fuel tanks plus full hopper) made the aeroplane very heavy and our engine full power output was only 740hp. It needed to be flown very delicately.

I remember one departure out of Darwin. For an hour and half I was at sea level and 117 miles (nautical) right of track and in heavy rain. Another time when tracking around thunderstorms I was getting burned in the face from both the sun and reflection off the white cloud. The owner of the operation told me I would be tanned on the other side of the face when I returned home. symmetrical.

Another time on approaching the international airport of Tawau I was over cloud. The controller asked if I was visual but no, I was on top (an official aeronautical term). I was instructed to hold altitude. A friendly Australian voice announced on the radio that the controller wouldn’t permit me to descend until I was visual. Well at that very moment I was visual and given clearance to descend. GPS showed the terrain below, rather crudely but clearly over water. It assured me I'd not find any rocks in the cloud. Where did this voice come from? That’s another story. But when I arrived he gave me 2 cans of cold coke from the airliner he was flying. From arriving tired I felt like I could walk on those clouds.

What would have been more welcome than aircon on ferry would have been auto pilot. This aeroplane, the popular Airtractor, was easy to fly and control loads were light. To achieve this the aeroplane was designed unstable. One had to pay attention at all times. There was no hands off times. No reading, no naps, no diversion of attention and nothing but water to see except the beauty of northern Sulawesi for a short period. I mentioned this earlier.

One time on departing Darwin I mishandled the fuel. I initially selected tanks when I should have selected hopper. After a lengthy climb I levelled out and fuel streamed from the top of the hopper because of a bad rubber seal. All over the windscreen and side windows. Of course I then selected hopper and in time as the fuel was used and the level lowered things returned to normal. It did smell badly of kerosene. Then came lunch. I had sandwiches prepared. Well they were kero impregnated. My next feed was that evening and I was ravenous I tell you.

The picture of Airtractor is from the internet.

The Airtractor is built a few miles from here...In Olney, Texas. I understand they are a beast to fly, but have a lot of HP for their size...or something like that.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #725
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
The Airtractor is built a few miles from here...In Olney, Texas. I understand they are a beast to fly, but have a lot of HP for their size...or something like that.

Hello ETAModel.

Yes it is Onley where Airtractor is built. The designer and builder was the late Leyland Snow. He had a history of designing and building Ag aeroplanes. I’ve posted 3 pictures of some that were bred in his stable. His first were open cockpit aeroplanes powered by radial engines, always Pratt and Whitney R1340 to my knowledge. In gathering information I saw aeroplanes he built that I never knew existed. He was a very clever man and known to every ag pilot in the world.

Contrary to what you have been told Airtractor are very easy to fly and also a delight to fly.

I first flew his Thrush in Africa in ’77, pictured below. I said his but he had sold the design to North American Rockwell who rebadged it as a Thrush Commander. Two of his financial backers, Britten and Norman wanted their capital to build the Britten Norman Islander, a simple and successful design, the twin in one of the pictures below. It was much later Mr Snow found backing to build his Airtractor. I purchased number 197 in 1982. In 1993 I purchased a turbine AT502, the first turbine I'd ever flown and it was like Christmas.

Today only two types of Ag aeroplanes are produced. The Airtractor of which there is several models and the Thrush. I prefer the Airtractor but only because I have more experienceon that type as compared to the Thrush. My favourite model is the AT402 pictured spraying below. It has a slightly narrower fuselage thus wing span thus will roll faster. It also has a smaller vertical profile and will slip under lower power wires.

As a footnote you will notice the much longer nose on the turbine. This is because the engine is much lighter than the radial and to maintain a centre of gravity within the designed range it must be moved forward. It is said the pointy nose takes 100hp less than the big flat radial with the saving coming from less frontal drag.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow 2.JPG (34.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg snow 4.jpg (335.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg snow 5.jpg (15.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg snow 6.JPG (36.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-05-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #726
ETAModel

Woofa, I certainly stand corrected...perhaps someone was comparing flying them empty vs loaded...its been years ago, one spring I was working near a local landing strip and every morning you could hear the yellow bird taxi down the strip...IDK how the operator could hear ANYTHING!! Then he'd amaze us mere mortals by flying under power lines and around pump jacks like it was nothing.

Cheers!!
ET
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #727
woofa.express

Quote:
Woofa, I certainly stand corrected...perhaps someone was comparing flying them empty vs loaded...its been years ago, one spring I was working near a local landing strip and every morning you could hear the yellow bird taxi down the strip...IDK how the operator could hear ANYTHING!! Then he'd amaze us mere mortals by flying under power lines and around pump jacks like it was nothing.

Cheers!!
ET
Hi Again ETAModel. If you enjoy watching aeroplanes you should go to the airstrip, tell who ever is there, particularly the pilots and I betcha they'll be pleased to show you around, tell you all about their job and make you feel welcome. Now that gives me grounds for a story about just that in the near future. cheers, gary

Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #728
woofa.express

Quote:
Hi again ETAModel.
my friend Kevin read todays story. Some years ago Kevin and I spent a summer fire bombing in South Australia. Well Kev sent me his story from Olney. here it is.

A nicely put together story thanks Gary, . . . . once again !!.

I was fortunate enough in 1993 to visit the Olney factory with three others, and we had a full guided tour, (pre arranged), of the entire plant, including the airstrip where some new models were parked for testing. Unfortunately/fortunately it was a Friday, and unknown to us before the visit, the staff had Friday's off, so there was no ongoing works in progress to see, but it was infinitely interesting, as engineers and pilots, to see, nevertheless.

Interestingly, in the area where the leading edges of the wings were formed, the guide said that they employ women specifically to do that task, as they had a better eye and feel for the process, and it resulted in a better finish and less wastage.

At that time, Olney was a town that looked like time forgot. Wooden step up sidewalks in the main street, and most of the buildings and shops, (weatherboard style construction, 2 storey), looked in desperate need of some TLC. A sad looking little town, almost straight out of a Western movie, . . . with no horses !!. I think the Airtractor factory was really its saviour.

I remember we went to the local Post Office to send mail, (as you did in those days, . . . for those who remember !!����), and of course we stood out like sore thumbs in there, and generated whispered conversations and furtive glances, because the local customers would know everyone, and we certainly didn't 'fit the mold' !!.

The Postmaster, was a fairly tall, finely built guy, with a drooping black moustache, and the only one working there. He was dressed in a 'typical ?' Texan outfit, 10 gallon hat, nice white shirt with long sleeves, arm bands, cuff links, black string tie with fancy clasp and gold tipped tassle ends, and the usual big buckle belt. He should have been wearing a 'six gun', to complete the picture !!, . . . . and I tell you, it certainly wouldn't have looked out of place, . . . a modern day 'Maverick' !!.

His curiosity had the better of him, as it would there, and when it came our turn to be served, his first words were, in a wonderful laid out Texan drawl, was, "What you Folks doin' in Olney ? . . . . . . . . no one comes to Olney !!", . . . . . . Just beautiful, said it all really !!. ����

Thanks and cheers, have a great day,
Kev

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-05-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #729
woofa.express

To ETAModel and others with an interest in Aviation.

All of my 4 kids were bought up around aeroplanes and my two sons decided on flying as a career. However they reckoned they needed a change from those oily old radial engine aeroplanes. They had big stuff in mind.
They both, respectively, two years apart, turned up at the Tocumwal airport which was 10 miles to our south and asked for a job. They swept the hanger, cleaned the swimming pool at the airpark, cleaned toilets and all the other grubby jobs. They rode there on their motor bikes each day of their summer school holidays taking the back roads to evade cops because they were too young to hold a drivers licence. They saved their money and paid for glider (sail plane) lessons. Then they airtowed the gliders. Their work experience started there where they were taught good work ethics by people who provided good leadership. Today they are senior captains on international airlines. Two other pilots started likewise and they to became successful ag operators.
Some time ago I asked the foreman from that business if they had young ones starting. He said no but added they did come and ask about a job but their only interest seemed to be how much would they be payed. None were interested in aeroplanes or aviation careers. So Mr ETAModel, if you are interested in aviation I am sure there would be opportunities at your local airport similar to what I have described above. You will get a better start with a hands on grubby job than starting with a clean and pressed shirt at a‘flying academy’ and finishing with minimum experience and a bill you couldn’t jump over. Most pilots I know willingly pass on their experience and expertise and these blokes are in the industry and not in flying schools. Now that’s a generality I know.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-06-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #730
woofa.express

Shed your equipment and toys.

I was at Finley this avo, it’s 10 miles north of Tocumwal and it is the town from which I operated my business. The current operator has an Airtractor in the drive through loading bay. A 600 hour aeroplane and it was looking immaculate.
To build a shed or drive through costs only a small amount of money compared to the cost of a modern aeroplane. Not only does it keep the aeroplane paintwork well, it preserves the expensive electronic equipment from the extremes of temperature, helps prevent corrosion, preserves the cockpit glass and perspex and when thunderstorms occur one does not need to worry, in other words it aids sleep. I had built all this shedding as soon as I had money available. Why doesn’t every aeroplane owner house their investment?
However I can recall years before I could afford this shedding. My Airtractor was exposed to the elements and had done alot of work. My competitor was the Airtractor dealer and always had new aeroplanes. One afternoon I towed their aeroplane to my concrete wash pad and towed mine to where they parked theirs. When they arrived at work at sparrows in the morning it took them a few seconds to work out what happened. They didn’t leave me the nice new and shiny machine.
My old boss man from Queensland called by with his new shiny Airtractor. I said “Viv, I wish my aeroplane looked like yours” and he responded with, “I hope my aeroplane doesn’t take long to look like yours”.
As I said, when money was available they were all shedded and painted, one colour, yellow. I never had my name signwritten for every farmer knew who they belonged to. I learned years later Finley airstrip was known as Canary Island.

I’ll be away for a couple of weeks. I will probably write only a few stories. If you enjoy reading them, why don’t you ask a few questions and I will be pleased to respond. My memory does need stimulating.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #731
woofa.express

Marvel Mystery Oil.

It was in 1982 I purchased an Airtractor powered by a Pratt and Whitney R1340 engine. My previous aeroplane was a Piper with a 6 cylinder Lycoming engine which burnt 65 litres of fuel per hour, or approximate. Now this big new aeroplane with a big fuel gulping engine burned double and I found this a little frightening so I ferried and worked at low power settings. Well oil consumption didn’t settle and I worried about that too.
Well the Australian Airtractor dealer sent a rep from the engine overhauler speak to me. The overhaullers were Aeroengines of L.A. and Vern Truman was the rep and also a part owner of the business. Mr Truman was also a gentleman of the highest class. He quickly determined the cylinders had glazed and recommended Marvel Mystery Oil. I just couldn’t understand what Mr Truman was saying because of his broad speech accent. Marrrvimisttrryall. At my request he wrote the name of the product and then I understood. Now his instructions on how to use MMO was simple and made sense to me.

At the end of the days work remove the aluminium tube to the manifold pressure gauge, idle the engine at 700 rpm and through the disconnected line suck up a quart (I think) of MMO. Turn engine off with the key and not the fuel shut off which is normal practice. 700 rpm so as the supercharger would blow it to all cylinders and the slowly running engine would not burn all the oil. The next morning do a normal takeoff and the carbon and other unwanted deposits would blow out the exhaust. Yes it did work. Another old time operator said he was recommissioning an old engine and he filled each cylinder with MMO , one at atime, replace the spark plug and pulled the engine through by hand thus ensuring the MMO was pushed through the piston rings. Leave for a few days, crank and run then do an oil change.
I had not considered using MMO in my A Models but will start now. I have a sticky valve which MMO has a good chance of freeing up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmo.JPG (26.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #732
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
That reminds me of what my Dad used to tell about when the Model A came out (he was a teenager then). This may have been part of a popular song, even. Anyway, it's "Henry's made a lady out of Lizzie!".
Just checked the internet. Yep, it was a popular song. neat to listen to!
Following Deluxe 40’s comment on Music.

I like many olden day things. I particularly like old music. If you know your way around this old music you will discover that much of today’s modern music is old music rehashed and mostly trashed.
I have a small computer with music from the ModelA’s era installed. This plays to a blue tooth speaker. If you have difficulty in understanding all this intricate and complex stuff I’ll tell you how its done. Go to a gathering of young people, that is kids aged 4 and upwards and ask for help. If they wear their cap back to front they are better . Rips and tears in their jeans, better still. Ear rings, even better again. Long hair and pimples is the best. They just enjoy showing up oldies and will take over what seems like a daunting and insurmountable task simply to demonstrate the skill they have and we don't. I take this electronic wizardry to vintage car and Model A meets. It’s great music and I’ll list just what songs I have recorded for these events. They are all found on the internet.
Yes Mr Deluxe 40, “Henry’s made a lady out of Lizzy”.
Billy Murray “getout and get under”
Billy Murray and Ada Jones “come Josephine in my flying machine”
Zinfield Folly’s. “Row row row”
Dixieland Crackerjacks “Alexanders Ragtime Band”
The last three have no association with the Model Ahowever Ford did make a 3 engined aeroplane so I have included “come Josephine”in the selection. The last 2 have no relationship at all but are great music oft hat day. I am missing “the Charleston” but when I find a kid that meets the above criteria I shall have it installed.
All Billy Murray songs are worth a listen. Likewise Mapleleaf Rag too and we shall thank an American negro by the name of Scott Joplin for that. Joplin composed considerable jazz and Dixieland music and died a poor man with an incurable, at the time, disease.
My yard and surrounds have many high and mature eucalypt or gum trees. For this reason both radio and TV signals are weak so we get both off the internet. Our radio is small and is really an inexpensive computer. It receives something like 10,000 stations that broadcast through the internet. That gives us a huge selection of broadcasts of all genres including oldies from all around the world. I’d recommend this internet radio and they can be purchased on ebay. Illustrated in picture. AUD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg internet radio.jpg (51.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 09-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #733
woofa.express

It has been years since I’ve seen my friend Pat.

But today we met up and what a great time we both had reminiscing about past times. You see both Pat and I were operators of the same era.
Pat was once a big drinker and big smoker and suffered poor health. He has changed his ways and whilst I don’t expect him to be totally pure he looks well and his memory is sharp. I too have improved my behaviour but don’t expect to be quite as pure as Pat is today.
We both were worn out by job pressure. In my case the management and operational issues. I wish I had employed a manager.The flying was easy and whilst days and seasons were long the flying was not so wearing. Most of these days were spent in a small cockpit and that provided solitude. I didn’t mind that and infact enjoyed it.
We spoke about incidents and I was enlightened by the reasoning for some that I could never figure out why these occurred and why they turned out the way they did. Two were cases where the wrong chemical was applied by a third party to a crop and poisoned it and an endeavour to cover up.
I told Pat how at our annual conference a chemical representative asked us users if we would like any changes made to productor packaging. I said yes. Colour code the containers for insecticides, for fungicides and for herbicides. The speaker absolutely ridiculed me and this I told Pat. Pat said the same happened to him some years later and he too was ridiculed for suggesting exactly the same. He was told the label will suffice. Well had that recommendation was acted upon neither of those above incidences would have occurred.
Whilst we have many friends in common and one common enemy, the government’s bird brain servants encompassing many departments.. The CEO of the government chemical registration authority addressed us. He was here to help us. When I told him I had to mice bate illegally because there was no registration for any rodenticide. Could he help us with that please. He rambled on. I asked him again being more specific and he said no. Here to help? Don’t government servants waffle? Not just this fellow, but most of them. Plenty of talk but nothing to say. There is one thing they all do so well, cover their arse. Big business likewise, they advertise what is trendy at the moment. People too are at fault. We can be herd animals and lemmings. But thank goodness some of us are independent thinkers and cannot be influenced by the bull. There was once an American president who coined a saying about just that. You all know what he said.
In addition to red tape there is green tape. you can see the resemblance between the cartoon and portrait. Do you know who the individual is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg public servant 1.JPG (63.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg public servant 2.JPG (36.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg public servant 3.JPG (20.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg public servant 4.JPG (10.3 KB, 253 views)

Old 09-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #734
woofa.express

Great Country Hospitality.

Today is our spring equinox and is welcome because we prefer warm weather. However Patsy and I are enjoying the warm weather in Queensland at this time. We drove nearly 1,000 miles north to the small Darling Downs town of Jandowae for a wedding. Jandowae has been left behind like many other country towns. A victim of good bitumen roads and fast comfortable motor cars. The farming community and indeed folks from these small towns can access bigger towns with better shopping and services facilities much quicker and easier than ever before.
But country and farm weddings remain unchanged. Hospitality without the humungous cost and it’s great. In this case the bride was escorted to the outdoor venue by her dad in a big green header. They walked up an isle of red dirt and grass to a minister of religion whose humour resembled “the vicar of Dibly’s” and we all had our pictures taken against a backdrop of grain silos, unfortunately empty because of drought. The wedding breakfast was held at the local golf club and catered for by the CWA which is the Country Women’s Association. A delicious roast. Good music, good speeches in a comfortable venue. Aren’t farming people wonderful. They aren’t flashy and it’s not money that determines the welcome and enjoyment and hospitality they present and provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrival 3.JPG (73.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg selena 2.JPG (34.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-22-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #735
woofa.express

Illness and Death.

In addition to the wedding we visitored Patsy’s sister Josephine. She was recently widowed and is in care with severe Parkinson’s. Good mind but always drugged to control her involuntary and sometimes violent movement. Those drugs also dumb down her ability to communicate and to move. Josephine’s daughter (a nurse) is satisfied with the care she receives likewise Patsy and I. However there is nothing left for her to live for and in kindness we all wish she would simply slip away. Life is sad when you loose your family and friends isn’t it? It’s also pitiful when they are in pain or immobile or drugged dumb and mute. I freely admit to being a sook but that’s really besides the point.
There has been an ongoing debate in Australia on euthanasia. It has polarised those for and those against. I see it as grey. There are valid points for both sides. There is no easy answer is there?

Many of you readers have faced this described situation already, some of you maybe facing it now and if you aren’t you may well face it in the future. How will you react? Will your opinion on euthanasia change?
Tomorrow I will visit my friend Bob in a Brisbane hospital. Bob has had a rigid spine for 30 years and more recently suffered from ulcers on his legs. One leg was removed a fortnight ago and his remaining leg looks very temporary. Bob is continually cheerful and it’s not possible to wipe the smile off his face. He and his wife Sharon always hold out for hope.

A government facing an election doesn’t want a hospital admission waiting list, how will they handle this? Children desperately waiting for an inheritance from their parents. How will they handle this? Euthanasia? Bob and Sharon are holding out hope. It’s not easy is it?

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-23-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #736
woofa.express

My Friend Mark Points Out.

Following yesterdays story which I spoke about the “for’s and against” euthanasia I received an email from my friend Mark who believes I have spoken only clinically and omitted the trauma that those who need make the decision are subjected to. And what they may well suffer retrospectively along with possible doubt about that decision.
Mark is quite qualified to speak on this for it has been he who has needed to make the decision on whether to or whether not to terminate the life support of the two most dear people one has in their lives. Mother and spouse. In Mark’s case it was brain tumour and brain damage following a horrific accident respectively.
No, I did not address this trauma. I don’t believe Mark was offended but he felt it necessary to bring this to my attention and thus me to you.
Tomorrow, back to motor cars. Gary.

A very short note. I mentioned Bob 2 days ago. Remember he had a leg amputated. In addition he has had a rigid spine for 30 years. Today I visited Bob in hospital. He was happy and yes it is not possible to wipe the smile off his face. How does he do it? I couldn’t, could you?

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-24-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #737
woofa.express

Why I named my Motor Cars.

I see in this forum MHSPrecher has a coupe painted what I believe is the original “desert sands light” colour, the same as my Tourer I call “Olive”. This naming of vehicles started some time ago and here's the story behind it.
I owned 5 trucks, all used to load aeroplanes with either seed, fertilizer or liquid pesticide. To keep track of fuel used and expences incurred on each they were numbered. This wasn’t successful because we just couldn’t remember the number of each unless we stood next to it when we recorded the relevant information. So I gave them each a name. In this case always after the previous owner or work they did before I converted them to my special needs. There was Scrooge, Freddy, Spuds, Wharfie and Wahine, pronounced wa hee nee. My first Model A, as I said was painted light desert sand, and became known as “Olive” because of it's similar colour. My second, a 30’s roadster coupe got known as “Old Chocolate” also because of it’s colour. And my ute “woofa express” in honour of my courageous little dog. It was his car and he was always under my feet if I approached this vehicle.

In addition I also found it easy and simple to name airstrips. For example there is “Daisy Plains”, “Red Hill” and “Bluebell Hill” to name just three. I also put names on people. Almost entirely complementary. Almost means almost. Some have escaped a handle.
Do you have names for your Model A’s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL As TO RUTHERGLEN .jpg (73.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-24-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #738
woofa.express

One of my long friends is Hugh. He was the government pesticides inspector in the region I worked. Hugh had everything under control without making a wave or even a ripple. I wouldn’t think Hugh ever had a dispute in his entire working life. He often responds to my stories and I have copied and pasted an email I received only today.

Dear Gary
A couple of memoirs ago you waxed lyrical about our rural citizenry. I agree with you 100%!
My first exposure to rural Australia began in 1980 when I moved to the Riverina. I enjoyed the rural ag “industry” and the fantastic people who empower it.

After 25 years experience in the bush, learned something profound about two particular species. (1) Dogs, and (2) women.
One of my roles was to go on farms where produce was discovered to contain high levels of pesticide. (These problems were Discovered through random tests in Sydney fruit and vegetable markets and abbatoirs).
Before visiting the farm, I’d call to notify the farmer of the unfavourable results and to let him know I’d come and see him and find out why his produce was dodgy.
These were the days of no GPS, so many properties had simple addresses like “ Weowna via Coonamble.” In order to locate the farm, I had pen and paper next to the phone to write detailed instructions and directions to locate the property in question.
Upon arrival the first species to greet me was the dog or dogs. If the dog/s wagged tails and wanted to jump up and lick my face, this was a reliable indication that the farmer would be nice to deal with and friendly. If they growled, bared their fangs and threatened me, this indicted the visit would be difficult. I established this reliable “dog” principle over 25 years of going on farms.
I also learned about women. Sometimes I received verbal directions over the phone to locate the property from the farmers wife or a female resident. I took copious notes, but usually got lost when a lady had given me verbal directions.
My most hopeless example of getting lost was trying to find a rural resident in the hills behind Coffs Harbour. A lady was complaining about a helicopter spraying fungicide on her neighbor’s bananas. By that time, I had a car phone, and recalled the lady 5 times to find her place.
I’m not sexist. I’m not against women. I have one at home and I reckon every bloke needs one. Mine is good value in every respect (or in most respects), but like her gender I’m suspicious when she gives me verbal directions to locate an address. I resort to my GPS to Verify her instructions.
Once again, this principle of females giving directions was established over 25 years. I didn’t arrive at this conclusion quickly.
To quote the famous English poet and author Hannah Cowley, she wrote “What is woman? Only one of nature’s agreeable blunders.”
Happy blogging Gary. Hugh

Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #739
woofa.express

My friend Ken asked just what it was that made me dislike the Dromader.

Yes, I’ve mentioned before there was one aeroplane I disliked, the Dromader. A mongrel bred from a thorough breed Thrush crossed with a harlot from Krakow. It goes like this. Two American Thrushes (from the Leyland Snow stable) were imported by Poland and the wings, cabin and some other components were copied and used for this new design. The engine is a copy of an American Wright Cyclone producing 973 hp. The progeny from this marriage was a bastard. I can speak with some authority about this because one of the silliest decisions I ever made was to purchase one. My reasoning was the low cost. However the purchase price was the only low cost component.
Ag flying is a demanding job and by the end of the day one is tired. But flying the Dromader, one is tired before morning tea. The aeroplane is heavy on the controls and slow to react. If the wind is blowing the aeroplane is just plain difficult. I changed the aileron servos which lightened them up, good. The elevator had to be worked in conjunction with the trim otherwise it was just too heavy and that really meant one needed 3 hands, the extra one to work the throttle. The rudder was a killer even though this pilot has titanium hip joints. If any wind displaced this aeroplane off the strip, realignment would be too slow especially with its wide undercarriage. Most strips were less than 40 foot wide and there were times we used vehicle wheel tracks on farms. The AgCat and Airtractor undercarriage would fit perfectly, but not the Dromader. To land, one can’t lower the Dromader gently to the ground. The only way is to stall it and let it crash onto the ground. No fine adjustments. And it is necessary to organise one’s self well before climbing up to the cabin so to avoid climbing back down in the event of forgetting something. For every entry/exit one needs another sandwich in ones dinner box. I just hated this and this aeroplane.
The oil temp sits past the max red line. It burns gas like there is no tomorrow. The engine runs rough. It is always cracking exhausts. If one is firebombing, somehow some liquid moves forward into the wind, then up the firewall and then onto the windscreen. Okay if it’s just water but if it is fire retardant the windscreen is painted red. And it sticks.
Remember this aeroplane was produced in an eastern block country. It has a rear facing seat behind the pilot. In the west this can be handy at times to carry your work buddy. In the Eastern Block it is to carry a security officer and there is a hole between the two cabins. This allows the security officer to poke a handgun through if the pilot decides to do a runner to the west.
Following the above comments I must say something positive about the aeroplane. The quality of workmanship in the build was unsurpassed but overbuilt. It is the design that was shit.
There were two failures in Australia I know of. One, the longerons failed shortly before landing and whilst the pilot survived the aeroplane was a twisted wreckage. The second was very sad. A popular pilot and personal friend had a wing attachment fail. I don’t believe the litigation has finished but my friend’s life has.
The only future for this aeroplane is in a kids playground and I even have doubt about that.
The pictures are of a Dromader, one the original radial, and the second is a Garret Powered turbine conversion and is infact the one that got my friend. A picture of my friend and one of his destiny.
You will notice the turbine engine is conciderably more forward because the engine is lighter and needs that forward leverage to maintain the same centre of gravity as the radial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dromader fire bombing.JPG (45.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tzj.JPG (35.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg blackie.JPG (34.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg christian cross.JPG (18.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 09-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #740
woofa.express

Below is part of the response from my friend following the Dromader story.

Hello, Gary,

I'm usually pretty enthusiastic to fly an airplane, and I have flown in the order of 76 different types and models, both singles and twins, piston and turbine, but there was two that I never had the desire to fly, and I never did; one was the Dromader, and the other was the Australia-built Airtruk.

So my next story will be about the Airtruk. Like my friend I was never fussed about them to the extent I refused to fly them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airtruk.JPG (44.3 KB, 20 views)