Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default Body Blocks

I am in the process of installing a body on the frame (30 coupe) and have purchased new body blocks, rubber pads, and bolts. My question is: Does one place the rubber pad(s) betwween the block and the frame only or should pads be placed both on the top and bottom of the wood block? The kits I purchased came without instructions but appear to have sufficient pads for both.Thanks in advance.

Have a great Thanksgiving
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
montanafordman

Default Re: Body Blocks

From the suggestions I hear you'd be better off throwing away the rubber pads purchased from any vendor, or save as a template then throw them out. Originally Ford used a reinforced rubber that had some kind of thread or stitching material sandwiched in the middle so the rubber doesn't crush or deform too much. A common source today would be conveyor belt material. I know someone in my club who has a bunch (or did) and hope to obtain some from him and cut out the needed pads as the body for my coupe is off the frame as well and I'm replacing the blocks also. There may be someone around the barn that can help you source some material.

From what I understand the repo rubber pads do not have adequate (or any) reinforcing.

Also, from what I understood the pads just went between the block and the frame, but I'm not sure so hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Aaron,

You hit the nail square on the head!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Bucket elevator belting works great. The pads in the kits are too compressable and as mentioned above not the best thing to use. Rod
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
woodiewagon46

McMaster Carr has 1/8" fabric reinforced rubber in 12"x12" sheets for $14.16, part no. 8698K73.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Tire casings, pieces of sidewall ---golf car tires--radial tires not so good --old truck tire for thick pieces with many layers of cord---bicycle tire for very thin
most likely free
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I found a nice large piece of thick flat reinforced rubber on the side of the road. It was a mud flap that fell off a semi. Too thick for the wood blocks, but great for jack stand pads, etc.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
WestCoast

the pad goes between the splash apron and block, cut a slot from the bolt hole to the outside of pad so you can add or remove the pads with out removing the body bolt, to install parts they go frame welting, splash apron, rubber pad, body block and then the body, if you don't have a diagram where the blocks go westcott has a diagram on there website
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanafordman View Post
From the suggestions I hear you'd be better off throwing away the rubber pads purchased from any vendor, or save as a template then throw them out. Originally Ford used a reinforced rubber that had some kind of thread or stitching material sandwiched in the middle so the rubber doesn't crush or deform too much. A common source today would be conveyor belt material. I know someone in my club who has a bunch (or did) and hope to obtain some from him and cut out the needed pads as the body for my coupe is off the frame as well and I'm replacing the blocks also. There may be someone around the barn that can help you source some material.

From what I understand the repo rubber pads do not have adequate (or any) reinforcing.

Also, from what I understood the pads just went between the block and the frame, but I'm not sure so hopefully someone will chime in.
If you live in a rural area, try to find the belt from an older model combine.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
slackcat

Used round baler belting, there's a ton of it out in the country.