Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #61
31ster

Default Re: What is average highway speed for the model a?

mine was cruising along really nice about 78 mph today coming down the northway from lake george area,,,,but then again i do have a 239 flathead in it
31ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:51 AM   #62
swo4rd

AH, the days when 45-50 mph were considered fast...today people drive their modern cars with no sensation of speed on the interior, and 45-50 in school zones and 80 on the highway...a danger zone for Model As.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #63
WHN

Just followed a Model A Sunday on route 9 in New Britain, Connecticut. Traffic was moving at 70 mph plus, he was tooling along at over 65 mph. He looked happy.

I keep ours to back roads, around town. Car really likes 35 to 45 mph.

To each his own. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #64
springerpete

I don't drive beyond the ability of my brakes to stop. My '29 rdstr is not my 2015 RAV 4 in its ability. 30-35 tops and I enjoy the view and pull over when I'm holding someone up.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo4rd View Post
AH, the days when 45-50 mph were considered fast...today people drive their modern cars with no sensation of speed on the interior, and 45-50 in school zones and 80 on the highway...a danger zone for Model As.
Perfectly clear dry sunny morning today, and even the news reporters are commenting on the dozens of crashes on the Twin Cities freeways this morning. The traffic map shows every road with RED, meaning slowed to a crawl. The idiots are on the roads everyday around here. It's scary for any car. Look around at the other drivers, and the majority are very distracted, and not paying attention to driving.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #66
P.S.

The new cars have touch screens in them that control everything, including the cabin tempurature. They are VERY distracting. It is frightening how much cars are computerized. Modern drivers find comfort in taking their eyes off the road and playing with menus on their touch screen. I really wish touch screen anything would be banned in cars.

The new cars also incorporate sensors to panic stop the car if it senses something in front of it. A colleague was driving 45-50 on a fairly busy 2-lane and a bird flew across his path. The car did a panic stop and the car behind him slammed into him, followed by the car behind that. He was seriously injured, and all because a computer took over the driving when it had no business doing so. Imagine that scenario playing out more and more from now on. How many lives and Model As will be lost to the computerization of cars?

Self driving cars drive as if being chased by the cops. Very frightening watching the Google cars weave in and out of traffic trying to jockey for one more car length ahead of the group. I was cut off by one of Google's self driving cars on 137 and it very nearly caused a collision right in front of me. Apparently, the self driving cars do not see Model A fenders as part of the car. Those self driving demons ought to be banned as well.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #67
Dino's A

I drive my car 35 tops. California drivers, traffic, and brakes that do not stop like a 2019 car make me go 30 around town. If they want to pass me, then pass me. My motor was built by a very renowned engine/model A guy and he has long passed so I'm babying my baby to last forever. Although I have been on the freeway because here in California the top speed now is usually 20mph!!!!
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #68
ryanheacox

Our Fordor would spin right up to 55 and you could push it into the low 60's. And this was on an engine of unknown origin running on basically 3 cylinders (30psi on #3) and bone stock to my knowledge.

Took it to the rebuilder 2 weeks ago and now have a chunk of rear main on my keychain... rods and mains were shot, lots of babbit in the pan. Definitely got some good service out of that engine though.

So glad we live out in the country. We still have the idiot drivers of course but at least they're more spread out. Although it is almost leaf peeping season again...
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #69
30 Closed Cab PU

My Truck is a runner, not restored/balanced/top notch motor. With recent valve job and head gasket it runs fairly quiet/smooth up to 35, a litlte vibration/noise from 35-45 but OK, After that it get busy, more vibration and noise. I have had it up to 55 flat out on a level road, little head wind. Gotta remember, truck aerodynamics are like driving a barn door.

I do not know if the Truck transmission is geared differently, I know 1st is a real granny gear.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #70
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
There are a wide range of opinions on the average highway speed of the A.

What people feel their car can do is based on how well restored their car is and the mindset as they drive their cars.

What is known as fact is the top speed and realistic cruise speed.

The dependent factor is all in the chassis. How well balanced is the engine, how well assembled is the chassis.

Clearly an unbalanced engine and a chassis put together with a mix of good used parts is going to be mixed in how it drives.

How many of those only running 45 mph knows if their crank was ground on center and has the flywheel on center? How many have their rods at the +- 1 gram at each end like the factory rods would have been made? What about that used cam that has uneven wear on the lobes? Who has that extra couple of thou here and there in their steering because they used a reamer on the bushings instead of hone them to fit.

With the mix and match of parts some cars just work ok and others not.

If you take the time to return the parts to factory specs then you will have a car that will run 55+ mph all day and night long. It will be comfortable and smooth running with a very minimum of vibration. Most guys would not believe they were actually in the Model A cause they have never been around a fully restored car. They only know others opinions based on cars put together with less then restored back to factory parts.

Personally, my opinion is that many guys that think 45 is the top speed of the A are being too optimistic. Some of the cars are not really safe at 30 MPH, but they run them 45 anyway.

Regardless of the opinions, the fact is the Model A can run the 60 MPH when properly restored to the factory prints. Today with the better fuels and a better understanding of combustion chambers, the better understanding of cams and the better quality of rubber we have our A's be very safe reliable and capable cars that you should NOT be afraid to run at highway speeds and expect more than 20 MPG.

Always know and understand that the Model A car restored back to the factory specs is very reliable and a joy to drive at any speed up to the 60's.

Great Info.

My only comment is that take a ton of money for the above Those of us with limited budgets do what we can and keeps speeds down.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #71
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I do not know if the Truck transmission is geared differently, I know 1st is a real granny gear.
Don't think so but can't say for sure. If everything is stock though you should have a 4.10 rear end as opposed to the car 3.78. If that's the case 55 is really cranking along
Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #72
LeroyM

I'm running a 283 V8 in my 31 coupe with a T5 and a 3.50 ratio Ford 9" rear. At 65 mph in 5th gear I'm just touching 1,800 rpm. Needless to say it keeps up with traffic without any issues and I have plenty of pedal left if I want to use it. If I'm just going around 50 to 55 mph I rarely take it out of 4th gear.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #73
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Don't think so but can't say for sure. If everything is stock though you should have a 4.10 rear end as opposed to the car 3.78. If that's the case 55 is really cranking along

Thanks, have often wondered why club members cruise at 45-55. Never asked, just assumed my A was really imbalanced since it is a runner. I always suspected the rear ends were different, thanks for confirming.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #74
Kahuna

Maybe of no interest to anyone
I have a 32 Model B that was converted to V8 flathead power.
There was some mention of fenders moving at higher speeds above
maybe 50 MPH.
I experience no such problem & am wondering if the difference is weight
related? But, as a kid, I don't remember any difficulties at high speeds
in my stock Model A coupe.
I can drive my 32 at 80 MPH for any amount of time without issue.
It is V8 powered & I have an Overdrive, and good hydraulic brakes
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #75
CarlG

On tours, we usually target 50 mph as our speed. If I'm not in a tour, 55+ is my target speed.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #76
john charlton

Fuel consumption is a big factor here in the UK. My nearest model A buddy lives exactly 15 miles from me so a 30 mile round trip .This costs me around £10 in gasolene which is $13 this is cruising at 45 MPH which is where my 30 CCPU is happiest anyway me too as I will be 80 next birthday, I dont go quick no more !!! Cruising at 30 MPH cuts fuel consumption by at least a quarter but you get more traffic backup behind you . I could go the country scenic route which is a 40 mile round trip at 30 MPH so the cost is the same but more fun on a lovely sunny day .

John in cool autumnal evening Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #77
DHZIEMAN

Tops on my 1930 model a fordor is about 50 mph! I drive this car with safety in mind and to me, getting the car stopped from any speed is important. The brakes on this car are as Ford built it, and they do stop the car, but the distance to stop is a bit more than my modern car! Speed gets mixed in with "why?" and "Safety?"
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #78
katy

I usually drive my '31 CCPU at around 35 mph, any faster then the vibrations gets too much to take.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #79
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo4rd View Post
Same in Illinois and the vast majority of those running 75 in a 55 speed limit on our two lane highways are 18-20 year old girls, and semi trucks avoiding the Interstate because they are overloaded.

Yesterday alone going over to a neighboring town I had one guy coming at me that ran off the road I mean ALL four wheels off the road almost in the ditch as he was wrestling the car back under control, and later a girl following me ran across the dividing line I saw her in my mirror as she was tailgating me, trying to pass I think on a hill with a double yellow line, run the oncoming car off to the shoulder. And it was a sunny day, no rain no anything just a nice day.

Can't wait for the snow to fall. Hee-haw
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #80
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Can't wait for the snow to fall. Hee-haw
You and me both
There was an accident one town over a couple days ago. 20 year old girl coming down a slight hill with a left hand corner into town. Speed limit is 30... apparently she bounced off the bridge at the bottom of the hill when the road gets straight and level, went off the left side of the road and took out a utility pole complete with transformers. Beautiful day. One car accident