Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Compressed Head Gasket?

Looking for a thick gasket for my 59A with over-shaved Weiand heads(aluminum). Went through my collection of gaskets and found the copper 3036 Victor to be the best I have in stock @ .076" minimum. I know that the Speedway big-bore boasts .070" compressed but would rather not wait for the process if the Victor would come close on my +'040" bored block. Is the Victor good enough? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
revkev6

Default Re: Compressed Head Gasket?

what is your clearance with the standard thickness gasket??
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
chap52

Not the best solution but you can double the gaskets if necessary. I have done that and it worked fine.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
Fred A

What I know about the clearance is that the piston strikes the head by a small amount with no gasket. The Victor gasket is chosen to be the start before actually claying the pistons and valves. The heads were shaved to become flat and equal to determine how much or if the dome is to be cut. Will torque to 35# with the Victor to find my starting point. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
What I know about the clearance is that the piston strikes the head by a small amount with no gasket. The Victor gasket is chosen to be the start before actually claying the pistons and valves. The heads were shaved to become flat and equal to determine how much or if the dome is to be cut. Will torque to 35# with the Victor to find my starting point. Thanks: Fred A
do you have an old gasket to put in there first and try?? the "best" brand head gaskets are supposed to be about 60 thou thick or so. given that you want 40-50 I would start there no?? maybe toss in some shim stock to see how much it takes to stop the piston from touching??

i'm about to go through this process with my motor and i want to get that clearance on the tight side as it makes a difference in these motors.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
my4dv8

I believe Cometic has thicker head gaskets and can custom make one also , but you need deep pockets.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-140/overview/
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
I believe Cometic has thicker head gaskets and can custom make one also , but you need deep pockets.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-140/overview/
If the heads and block isnīt dead on flat you get issues in a blink with MLS gaskets...just a warning.
Not sure if the question was if the victor will take the bore ??
You donīt need bigbore gaskets for a .040 os.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Lucky you. You are most of the way to achieving proper "squish" with these heads. If it really is a "small amount", get in there with a Dremel or a die grinder and relieve the high spots. You can detect them by putting grease on the piston top and turning the engine. The grease will transfer to the head and will indicate where material has to be removed. Once the engine turns over all the way with no problem, you will have achieved .050 "squish", which is what you want for power AND economy. A lot of guys want to get the squish to around .040" but that is a little difficult for an "amateur" to achieve in his home shop. I have done two engines this way and am very satisfied with them.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

The victor 3036 is probably the best gasket you can use. It squish down to aprox.060.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote