Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
CrazyTed

Default New to 312 Y Block

I inherited a 1929 Model A T-bucket from my father when he passed away unexpectedly last year. My understanding is it has a 312 Y Block in it from a 1956 T-bird. I have just recently started working on this. Last time I visited my father he had replaced the master cylinder and I helped him find the correct fitting for the brake line but we never bled it as I had to leave. I have bled them and found a leak at the "proportioning" valve between the master cylinder and front disk brakes. Fixed that and bled it more. Only get pedal when you pump it a bunch. Guess I'll "bench" bleed the master cylinder when I get time and bleed the system again.

Now, last time I saw the car run was about 2 years ago. My father would always take my wife out for rides when we visited. Car ran ok. I have no idea what cam or other parts are in the car. It does have an Edelbrock intake on it and a small spacer between the carb and intake.

Now it won't start without starter fluid and when you get it started, runs rough and eventually stalls. My first thing will be to rebuild the carb. It has a Holley 600 single feed 4160 carb on it. I have not taken it off yet and have no clue what's in the carb jet wise. I just figure it's a good starting place as I have no clue when it was last worked on. After rebuilding the carb I'll move onto checking for any "vacuum" leaks on the intake and check the ignition.

My experience comes from the late '80's when I drag raced a Camaro that I built the 350 Chevy from the block up. Decent mechanic but don't know the ins and outs of the 312.

I'll take any and all advice and suggestions. I've been reading through a bunch here already trying to learn. I'll attach pics of the car and the driver's side of the engine.

Future plans are to clean up the fuel supply to the carb and redo the throttle linkage from the pedal rod to the carb linkage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227712_1946731835636_4200875_n.jpg (88.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg engineleftsmall.jpg (56.1 KB, 387 views)
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
packrat5
BANNED

Default Re: New to 312 Y Block

If that thing has an automatic, there is a reason for the accel linkage like it is. Be careful with well meaning "helpers", if they don't really know y-blocks, move on. They are not small block Chevs in disguise
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
CrazyTed

Is an auto but I believe I can create something in the same shape to do the job without looking so out of place. The transmission cable will be easy to mount to a custom plate. I've done a few of them for different cars.

Can't remember if it was an FX/MX or FMX transmission. Many parts on it are from the mid to late 70's.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

1. Does the trans have a vacuum modulator on the rear of the case? Is so, that throttle linkage is just for full throttle kickdown. If no vacuum diaphragm, that throttle linkage is critical for proper shifting and trans life. Adjust per shop manual. If your trans is from that '56 T-Bird, it will not have a modulator and the throttle linkage must be stock (or function exactly like stock) and be kept properly adjusted.
2. If your distributor is the original '56 dual diaphragm unit, you have the wrong carb! The OEM distributor is vacuum advance only and needs the OEM carb. or the spark advance won't work. That late model Holley will work fine with a '57 and up Y-block distributor.
3. Don't forget that the 312 (and all Y-blocks) are solid lifter engines and need periodic valve adjustments.
4. The rest is basic maintenance and troubleshooting.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
packrat5
BANNED

Okay, 40 deluxe is trying to tell you something. LISTEN. Don't try to change things that don't need changing, and without understanding what your dad created. You are apparently going to go about this like it's a chev. It's not. It quite likely is a Ford-o-matic, and as I can't see any cooler lines, is an air cooled trans. If you really want to do something constructive, lose the plastic fuel filters, they are a fire waiting to happen. And plumb in a hard line directly to the carb from the fuel pump. Get rid of the dinosaur distributor. Use a late pivot plate type, later than 59, like COAE, or COTE, to C4OE or C4TE. The car looks like it was well executed, don't just dive in and screw it up.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New to 312 Y Block

BEAUTIFUL RIDE - LOVE THE Y-BLOCK

The first thing I would be concerned with is fuel quality. How long did it sit?

The DIST appears (to me) to be a DS II WIDE CAP.

And yes, you can modify the trans linkage with LOKAR. Need some more detailed photos when you can and try and ID the trans. The plate on the main case will ID it.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
BEAUTIFUL RIDE - LOVE THE Y-BLOCK

And yes, you can modify the trans linkage with LOKAR. Need some more detailed photos when you can and try and ID the trans. The plate on the main case will ID it.
Kultulz, Does the LOKAR cable (I'm assuming it is cable) have the exact same geometry as the factory linkage? If this is a '56 trans, as mentioned, the throttle linkage is what determines throttle pressure, which in turn determines line pressure and, (combined with governor pressure) shift points. Too little pressure leads to too early shifts and lets clutches and bands slip and burn. Too much pressure, and shift points will be too high and harsh. Better to have a smooth trans than chrome bling, in my opinion!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New to 312 Y Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

Kultulz,

Does the LOKAR cable (I'm assuming it is cable) have the exact same geometry as the factory linkage? If this is a '56 trans, as mentioned, the throttle linkage is what determines throttle pressure, which in turn determines line pressure and, (combined with governor pressure) shift points. Too little pressure leads to too early shifts and lets clutches and bands slip and burn. Too much pressure, and shift points will be too high and harsh. Better to have a smooth trans than chrome bling, in my opinion!
The cable(s)/brackets can be chosen and assembled to operate the TV system (as on an AOD). The way I understand the OP is he wants to rid the install of the engine mounted throttle bracket. He would have to fashion throttle and TV/kick-down cables.

LOKAR offers kits and individual service parts to fashion almost anything.

I understand his concern. The look is antiquated and needs to be improved for his open engine. You don't want MR. VICE GRIPS to poke fun at him do you?

He also might have a COM or FMX. Let's see what he comes up with.

Too bad an assembly sheet was not kept to help him along.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-17-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: New to 312 Y Block

Quote:

... and try and ID the trans. The plate on the main case will ID it.

As long as I don't replay to my own posts, I should be OK ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FOM-COM Identification _2.jpg (81.0 KB, 309 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
. . . Now it won't start without starter fluid and when you get it started, runs rough and eventually stalls. My first thing will be to rebuild the carb. ...
Trouble-shoot the output of the fuel pump, flow & pressure. If there was/is ethanol in the fuel the pump diaphragm or check valves may have been damaged while it was sitting. Same with the carb and its internal parts.

That Holley carb may have a filter screen inside the inlet fitting just before the float valve, sometimes they get overlooked and clogged.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
CrazyTed

My Dad didn't build the car. He lucked into it at a great price years ago. My Dad's death was definitely a surprise. He did used to drive it more but ended up with a beautiful '57 Bel Air, a '40 2 door sedan and several other projects so this got bumped to the shed for awhile.

I'll get the trans ID'd next time I'm under the car. As for not treating it like a Chevy, not exactly sure what that means. It did run pretty good before and now doesn't. Won't start without starting fluid. Figured a good, safe bet would be to rebuild the carb. The same carb that has been on it and was running ok to begin with. Will cost me about $30 for the rebuild kit.

As for the throttle linkage setup, it's just butt ugly and appears to be setup for several other things to be attached to it. At a minimum, I'll be cutting off all the extra metal that is not used in this application and paint the bracket. If I do create a new bracket or buy something, it would mechanically function the same but not be so ugly. I've built many things in the past including for racing applications on both cars and motorcycles. If I build it, it would function the same as this big, hug hunk of metal on the intake and block.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
miker98038

On the throttle linkage/kick down bellcrank. It’s been a lot of years since I’ve done a Fordo, but I think there’s more to that than meets the eye. Something about the carb reaching full throttle, then that ugly device sliding down under spring tension and doing the final engagement of the kick down rod. I think there was a pair of holes you slid a 1/4” drill bit in to set it up, and the spring (which was underneath that big bracket) also needed to be the right one. IIRC, it’s not in the main manual, but in the Fordomatic manual.

I don’t know if it’s really needed for safe operation, and I’m sure you could duplicate by proper fabrication (and look a lot better, I hear you).

Maybe someone with all the manuals will chime in. Been too many years and cars for me to remember the details.

Great car, glad to see you bringing it back. Enjoy the ride
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #13
40 Deluxe

Just get it chromed! That will make everybody love and admire it! (And ask what it does!) You can make up all kinds of interesting explanations!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
JeffB2

You should look at these images,it is possible that if this car sat over a year with ethanol gas the carburetor may well be junk by now as ethanol is a corrosive this same gunk and varnish is probably in the lines and tank also.https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...30.qVxX984UkvM
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #15
KULTULZ

New Farm Bill Hobbles E15 Ethanol Expansion

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #16
rotorwrench

The Cruise-O-Matics use a kick down rod linkage but they didn't come along till 1958. The Ford-O Matic design uses a throttle modulator control rod to control the shift pressures since there is no vacuum modulator. A cable set up would be very tricky to get the throttle modulator lever in the right place at the right time. It is timed to the throttle linkage and would be easier to leave it that way on a FOM application. If it is a Cruise-O-Matic or an FMX then a cable can be used for kick down but it would be a pita to set up when it already has a perfectly good set up to begin with.

Fuel delivery systems get crudded up pretty quick if they set around too long. The idle circuit in the carb is likely partially blocked with crud. The fuel tank can get gooped up if it set too long. Anything in the fuel system could be suspect until tested & proven to function properly. I don't see much wrong with the car myself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. New fancy stuff isn't always better. I like to see home fabricated stuff when done well. All the after market stuff is over priced & over hyped in my book.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
CrazyTed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
You should look at these images,it is possible that if this car sat over a year with ethanol gas the carburetor may well be junk by now as ethanol is a corrosive this same gunk and varnish is probably in the lines and tank also.https://www.google.com/search?biw=13...30.qVxX984UkvM
Very familiar with ethanol and what it does to engines and components. I'm a motorcycle racer and am so glad I switched to a bike with fuel injection. I also run Liquid Performance Ethanol Equalizer in all the fuel I personally use. I have a sonic cleaner that we use for cleaning carb and carb parts on racing bikes so I figure I'll be doing a pretty in depth cleaning when I rebuild the carb. The parts arrived today so sometime this week I'll dive in and find out.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
CrazyTed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Cruise-O-Matics use a kick down rod linkage but they didn't come along till 1958. The Ford-O Matic design uses a throttle modulator control rod to control the shift pressures since there is no vacuum modulator. A cable set up would be very tricky to get the throttle modulator lever in the right place at the right time. It is timed to the throttle linkage and would be easier to leave it that way on a FOM application. If it is a Cruise-O-Matic or an FMX then a cable can be used for kick down but it would be a pita to set up when it already has a perfectly good set up to begin with.

Fuel delivery systems get crudded up pretty quick if they set around too long. The idle circuit in the carb is likely partially blocked with crud. The fuel tank can get gooped up if it set too long. Anything in the fuel system could be suspect until tested & proven to function properly. I don't see much wrong with the car myself. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. New fancy stuff isn't always better. I like to see home fabricated stuff when done well. All the after market stuff is over priced & over hyped in my book.
I spoke to my brother who has helped on this car before. He tells me it is definitely a Ford FMX trans. My recollection from working on the engine was only one rod to that bracket and that is from the accelerator pedal. Everything else was cables. Like I said above, I'm very good at setting up stuff like that so I could duplicate the arc, the measurements, the sweep, and all the parameters of this current bracket with a much simpler, less butt ugly setup that would almost exactly duplicate the current action.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #19
reman

If the trans is an original 56, it will be a Ford O Matic. I just wrote about 3 paragraphs on this and when I tried to post, I lost the whole damn thing. Nice car by the way and I love the Y block.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #20
CrazyTed

FMX didn't come out until 1966....
Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
reman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTed View Post
FMX didn't come out until 1966....
I know. I was basing this on the theory that the trans may have been the original to the motor in the Tbird. In 56 it would had to have been a Ford O. I did not notice that you had positively ID'd as a FMX
Old 11-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #22
CrazyTed

Okie doke.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #23
KULTULZ

If an FMX, there is no TV rod. It should have a modulator valve unless someone put a manual shift valve body in it. All you will need is a downshift cable, again if not upgraded with a manual valve body.

It was introduced in the 1968 model year. Is the shift pattern 1-2-3 Select Shift?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
Kahuna

I am 99% sure you have a 1956 Ford Ford-o-matic (early) trans. Early was air cooled, late 56 was liquid.
That ugly throttle BRACKET you are referring to, is for a 1956 car with a Teapot 4 bbl.
That bracket has been modified in the front area to accept a CABLE of some sort for throttle activation.
The existing ROD going to the carb is to insure that the kick-down rod (going down to trans), gets activated properly.
That's all I can tell from the photo with my old eyes
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Question Re: New to 312 Y Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post

I am 99% sure you have a 1956 Ford Ford-o-matic

Again, the definition of a$$-u-me ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #26
Kahuna

OK, 99 & 9/10% sure?
ha ha
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Cool Re: New to 312 Y Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post

OK, 99 & 9/10% sure?

ha ha

Jim

Might as well go for the GOLD TROPHY ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

CrazyTed, could you crawl under your car and snap and post a picture of the vacuum modulator on the back of the trans? Hopefully this will end the endless speculation about what trans you have! Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #29
KULTULZ

Wink Re: New to 312 Y Block

OH CrazyTed ?

Would this setup look any nicer to you? It will also operate a FOM -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Linkage - 1956 BIRD w ECZ-B - H4160 - FOM.jpg (107.3 KB, 132 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #30
40 Deluxe

Quote:
OH CrazyTed ?

Would this setup look any nicer to you? It will also operate a FOM -

Is that an overdrive relay I see on the firewall?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #31
KULTULZ

What I was trying to get across was the use of a 55/56 bracket on a ECZ-B. Both ST and AT transmission brackets are similar in appearance.

It may be that this setup would be more pleasing to the OP's eyes.

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-20-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #32
rotorwrench

I'm not sure an FMX will fit a Y-block. They had FOM and COM transmissions back in the day but the FMX is a bit different. It's is a cross between the FX small case and MX medium case Cruise-O-Matics. Sort of the best of both worlds.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
I'm not sure an FMX will fit a Y-block. They had FOM and COM transmissions back in the day but the FMX is a bit different. It's is a cross between the FX small case and MX medium case Cruise-O-Matics. Sort of the best of both worlds.
I'm thinking (maybe just assuming) that a Y-block Fordomatic bell housing will bolt to a FMX case.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #34
Y-Blockhead

Yes the FMX can mate to a Fordo bell housing with a few modifications. I also used a FMX torque converter.

I used Lokar cables for throttle and kickdown. That was a few years ago. Now I am running a C-4 with a Gear Vendor. Still using the same cable setup tho.

Nice looking car CrazyTed...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #35
miker98038

Sorry to drift OT, but,

“ Now I am running a C-4 with a Gear Vendor.”

Now that has to be a sweet combo. Great looking set up.

I think the Hoosier Hurricane has a number of post over at yblocksforever regarding the FMX/Yblock conversion.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #36
rotorwrench

A lot of stuff is adaptable between all of the Borg Warner designs. Folks used to adapt COM parts with FOM parts to get a dual range shift. I'm not surprised that the FMX can fit in the mix even though it has more than one tail shaft type. I hear that those 58 to 62 COM/Y-Block transmissions are getting harder to source. The bell housing is a must for conversions. I think I'd look into an AOD transmission since it is based on the FMX and has the overdrive. That would be worlds better than just a 3-speed with 1 to 1 final drive. It would make it worth the effort for certain. This is a link to some info on an adapter kit. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm
Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #37
40 Deluxe

Quote:
A lot of stuff is adaptable between all of the Borg Warner designs. Folks used to adapt COM parts with FOM parts to get a dual range shift. I'm not surprised that the FMX can fit in the mix even though it has more than one tail shaft type. I hear that those 58 to 62 COM/Y-Block transmissions are getting harder to source. The bell housing is a must for conversions. I think I'd look into an AOD transmission since it is based on the FMX and has the overdrive. That would be worlds better than just a 3-speed with 1 to 1 final drive. It would make it worth the effort for certain. This is a link to some info on an adapter kit. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm
Plus, with the AOD you get overdrive and lockup converter without any electrical/electronics whatsoever!
Old 11-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
KULTULZ

OK ...

Just to clear-up my original post regarding 55/56 throttle linkage use on a 57 intake (the photo showing OD linkage), here is a photo just recently posted on the other forum showing a 55 BIRD with an ECZ-B intake using the original 55 throttle linkage. One other poster in the same thread said his bracket install needed to be shimmed.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 AM   #39
slumlord44

The FMX came out in '58 or '59 for sure. Dad's '59 had an FMX for sure. The C6 came out in '66 and won't fit the Y block. The FMX will fit with the right parts.
slumlord44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #40
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post

The FMX came out in '58 or '59 for sure.
The FMX was introduced in the 1968 model run. FORD acquired BW design rights and put the MX internals into the FX main case and deleting the rear pump.

The CRUISE-O-MATIC (market name designation) DUAL RANGE SERIES (FX - MX - HX) was introduced on the 1958 model run. The FORD-O-MATIC was retained for certain models and the F/M/2 was introduced in the 1959 model year. The modulator valve was incorporated in the 1961 model year, eliminating the TV shift control.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #41
rotorwrench

A lot of folks refer to them as the X series due to the Ford references. Ford-O-Matics are old school and are, for all intents & purposes, still a two speed with a manual helper gear. The medium case Cruise-O-Matic used from 1958 through the early to mid 60s was a better unit with full dual range 3-speed function and vacuum modulation in later units but they are still weak in the case area and can be damaged under hard use. They can be quirky too. They don't shift real well until they are fully warmed up. The FMX that came out in the later 60s has a beefier case with better web structure. Their not as quirky either and will shift fairly well when cold but they still aren't as beefy as the Ford C6. Now the AOD went a step further in strength but still uses X series design features in the way it functions as a 3-speed with 4th OD. The locking clutch feature is also a very good thing. These transmissions can take a lot more than any of the old X series but they don't have a removable bell so adapters have to be made. The adapter set up gives a much better starter to the old Y-block. Those old starters were a PITA.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #42
reman

These should not be confused with a "true " 2 speed Ford O matic that was made from 58 -64. They could be recognized by an aluminum case, and operated much the same as a powerglide. In my opinion, the worst Ford trans ever.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
rotorwrench

The late aluminum case Ford-Os were used in the small Falcon and Comet cars as well as other light duty applications and were not really in the same class as any Cruise-O. It was definitely not one to write home about. The 352 was the largest engine they used them on. The FX small case Cruise-O was a 3-speed and used behind the more powerful small block V8 engines till the C4 replaced it.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #44
reman

Agreed. It was not in the same class as any CruisO. They were common in Galaxies with 292's and 223's. I know a few were used on 352's as well, but I have never seen one.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #45
CrazyTed

Well, about a month ago, finally got the car to the house so I can work on it much, much easier. Tore the carb apart and rebuilt it. It has what looked like cork gasket material in the float bowls. Took it down and cleaned it really well. Now the car will start with the manual choke very well when cold. Haven't figured out the hot starting trick yet. I've checked the battery including stress testing it and it checks good. I'm going to dive into the starter and wiring to make sure it's all up to snuff as when it's up to operating temp, the engine will start to turn over, then stop, then continue. Might be the timing too. Have to clean up the balancer and make the timing mark visible. I'm going to triple check the float level as it has been suggested if it's too high, it would permit fuel to dribble into the engine and also cause hard starting. Once the engine actually turns over like it should, it starts. The ignition system is updated as there is a Ford Motorcraft module under the seat. I changed out the plugs. Seven were the same plug and one was different. Found out why. Seems someone had stripped the flats on the plug so the socket would immediately skip. Went and bought a cheaper 20mm and tapped it on. Plug came right out. It had been in there a good while. Eight new plugs and the engine seems happier.

I've been slowly cleaning things up as the car sat for a long while. I haven't tinkered with the kick-down bracket yet. I won't chrome it. I'd just like something without all the wasted metal as it is a huge chunk of metal sitting there with so much wasted, ugly metal in my opinion. I've been using steel wool to take off the surface rust from the chrome parts. I've taken it to a few cruise ins and so far have gotten a great reception from the local folks. I plan to try and attend one Wednesday night a little further away.

Thanks for all the previous replies, I just wanted to update you all.

Last edited by CrazyTed; 08-25-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 08-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #46
CrazyTed

Also been working on the oogah horn that's on it. It appears the flange on the horn contacted something like a speed bump. I took it apart and straightened out both sides and the "diaphragm" in the middle. The horn works, has a nice sound, but is not very loud at all. I did not find any name or model number or any kind of identifying marks on it anywhere. Any tips to improve the volume? The tone is nice so I don't think adjusting it would help with the volume. Any tips?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #47
CrazyTed

Ok, found the numbers on the transmission. On the ID tag, it says "PAR-7003 C2" and "110-23066" I used a camera and looked on the side of the trans housing and found this molded into the casting. "PAK 7006-C W1 . It has 14 bolts on the pan. It has the dipstick into the pan, not the casting. It has trans coolers on the passenger side. It does not have the vacuum housing on the trans.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #48
KULTULZ

PAR-7003 C

1956 FORD 292-4V F/M Single Range

Also used on some 1955 Models

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-28-2019 at 07:38 PM.