Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
mbarker

Default 1930 A, generator with regulator

Hi folks
New to the forum --- searched it at bit.....
I have a 1930 4 door here in Alaska. Lots of dark here, and pushed the generator up a bit so that it charges at road speed and lights on...... but with lights off it charges at about 10 amps.....
I would love to put a good regulator on the generator so I don't have a mistake and over charge. I am still 6 volt.
Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas.
thanks
Mark
mbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: 1930 A, generator with regulator

I have excellent service with a Fun Projects regulator and it looks like a regular cut out externally.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I have excellent service with a Fun Projects regulator and it looks like a regular cut out externally.

John
Same here , I don't believe that it can get any easier or look any better !!! Works well for me .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
abachman3

I have been using the Fun Projects regulator for a number of years and highly recommend it as well.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Badpuppy

Some simply run with lights on at all times. Down side is you have to keep a good stock of bulbs.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
mbarker

Hi folks --- I looked at the Fun Projects regulator on line. Looks pretty simple. Only issue is that the info sheet says only for generators that have 1 wire coming out top. Mine has two. Might be a later version. Wondering on your thoughts.
I recently aquired the car and have a few other generators. I will check them out.
Also read where when adjusting the 3rd brush for more amps, you move it toward the engine. Mine moves away from the engine to adjust. Pretty simple to adjust, but seems to go the wrong way from some of the posts.
Wondering your thoughts on that also.
Yesterday I rebuilt the whole head light system. Lots of bad connections and some "dead shorts" here and there. Now works great. Today maybe tail and brake lights.
thanks for the help.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I have had the charge rate on my car at 14 amps, about even with the halogen lights on, I just turn on the lights in daytime if on longer drive --for part of the drive---the optima lasted 16 years of this treatment, and no need for battery tender
still have same bulbs too ---I am 40-50% night driving
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I believe that the 1933 and later four cylinder generators had two wires . The original model A generators grounded on the inside and had only one external wire that came out of the generator and connected to the cut out . The other wire that came out of the later generators was the ground wire and connected or grounded under one of the two feet that connects the cut out to the generator housing . The outer ground wire is about the only different changes that make a difference between the hook up connections on the model A and the 1933 and later four cylinder generators . John Regan told me that for brighter headlamps I could adjust the third brush for a maximum charge rate of 10 amps . The generator if used with a Fun Projects regulator and adjusted in this manner would only try to charge at ten amps on demand or if the headlamps were on or the battery was low . This has worked well for me .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 11-04-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 11-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

As for adjusting the third brush,Push the brush down or toward the floor or ground to increase the charge rate . Move the brush upward to decrease the charge rate . I usually just replace the headlamp and horn wiring harness rather than tring to rewire it .
Old 11-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Hi Mark....... I've heard the guys that use the Fun Projects regulator have excellent luck with it.

I run Tom Wesenberg's Electronic Voltage Regulater with a diode cutout (you have to snip a small wire off of the EVR if you do, Tom has a diagram and explains it all) and I really really like that. You can run an original cutout too if you wish and not snip the wire.

Stock 6V POS ground, the EVR acts like an alternator, charges about 2-3 amps at idle and speed and it bounces right back to that when you pop the headlites on.

Your battery will love you for it. I run the Farm and Fleet $39 six volt batteries and they last for years with this setup.

Good luck with winter coming on in Alaska, you will have a lot of nite driving coming at you
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
mbarker

Howdy
Does one of you have a good contact or link to Tom Wesenberg's Electronic Voltage Regulater.... looks like I should try one of those. Thanks so much.
Mark
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarker View Post
Howdy
Does one of you have a good contact or link to Tom Wesenberg's Electronic Voltage Regulater.... looks like I should try one of those. Thanks so much.
Mark

you can send him a private message here. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/priva...do=newpm&u=106
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Hi Mark....... I've heard the guys that use the Fun Projects regulator have excellent luck with it.

I run Tom Wesenberg's Electronic Voltage Regulater with a diode cutout (you have to snip a small wire off of the EVR if you do, Tom has a diagram and explains it all) and I really really like that. You can run an original cutout too if you wish and not snip the wire.

Stock 6V POS ground, the EVR acts like an alternator, charges about 2-3 amps at idle and speed and it bounces right back to that when you pop the headlites on.

Your battery will love you for it. I run the Farm and Fleet $39 six volt batteries and they last for years with this setup.

Good luck with winter coming on in Alaska, you will have a lot of nite driving coming at you

Here is a link to a site that has the info you would like to know about Tom's regulator (and generators in general), I'm sure if asked he will tell you how to use it with the generator you have, Due to restrictions on this site you will have to replace the ".net" with ".com",

https://www.vintagefordforum.net/for...r-installation
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
Bob C

This site won't let you link to VFF, it changes the .com to .net in the address.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
jhowes

MAYBE TOM OR JOHN CAN ANSWER THIS BUT AS i UNDERSTAND IT THE fUN PROJECTS REGULATOR HAS THE GENERATOR RUNNING AT THE ADJUSTED AMPS (10 AMPS OR WHATEVER) ALL THE TIME AND THE REGULATOR SIMPLY TAP OFF WHAT IS NEEDED WHEN DRIVING, WHEREAS, tOMS ADJUSTS THE VOLTAGE TO THE FIELD COILS SO THAT the generator can snooze when high current is not needed. I hope they clear this up as I am not sure of the differences. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
jhowes

MAYBE TOM OR JOHN CAN ANSWER THIS BUT AS i UNDERSTAND IT THE fUN PROJECTS REGULATOR HAS THE GENERATOR RUNNING AT THE ADJUSTED AMPS (10 AMPS OR WHATEVER) ALL THE TIME AND THE REGULATOR SIMPLY TAP OFF WHAT IS NEEDED WHEN DRIVING, WHEREAS, TOMS ADJUSTS THE VOLTAGE TO THE FIELD COILS SO THAT THE GENERATOR CAN SNOOZE WHEN HIGH CURRENT IS NOT NEEDED. I HOPE THEY CLEAR THIS UP AS I AM NOT SURE OF THE DIFFERENCES. Jack
Old 11-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
AL in NY

Tom Wesenberg of Ford Barn makes a band regulator and there is another place to get a very reliable voltage regulator. James Peterson makes an excellent quality band type voltage regulator. Use the band regulator with a diode cutout and you will be good to go. Go the Vince Falter's "Ford Garage" page and get all the information on the VR.

Link:http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/generator.htm __________________
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
jhowes

The Tom Wessenburg regulator that I have is not a band type. It replaces the third brush inside the generator. Jack
Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarker View Post
Howdy
Mark
excellent product I have 3 I know!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:33 AM   #20
mbarker

Thanks to all for the input and help. I have been trading emails with Tom. He is making more of his regulators and I think i will go with those. ----- a howdy to Gary WA on Whidbey Island. My Dad lives just outside of Coupeville and has had an A through the years, and always keeps an eye out for nice ones on the island. Right now though he is nursing a Citroen 2CV "duck" around the island.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #21
Gary WA

Mbarker,who is your dad,I'm president Whidbey island A,s?