Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Werner

Default Re: Matching photos, I think.....

Hello,
Quote:
Looking at these photos I wish they could talk to us. The cars history, the people, there hopes and dreams.
Thats a right sentence! I want allways too to know the past time. My car is more than 90 years old and saw probably unbelieveable times. Just buyed it was treated well. 20 years after it would not longer loved. Followed children drived just for fun over fields and meadows. Then it was standing in a forgotten edge. ... .

Therfore I tryed to find the pre owners of my car. I'm sad, that this would not happend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8241_1928_FORD_MODEL A RDSTR_2.jpg (185.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg P1080193.jpg (61.1 KB, 47 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
Tudortomnz

Here it is - the Taxi is constructed like a Tudor, çoupe- pillar' cowl join, same style doors but it is a Fordor. There was no visor as the roof has a lip. Either made/assembled by Briggs or Budd, maybe the former. I would think many ex Taxis ended up being sold off as an older 4 dr Sedan. Cheers. Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #23
Gold Digger

I wonder what vintage wheels are on the car. I had one just like it on an "A" when I was a kid. It was a 16" with solid steel center and spooks on front side.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #24
WTSHNN

Here are pictures of original Model A Taxi's, Body number 135-A.

An original, Briggs produced, Model A Taxi is a unique body style that shares similarities between different bodies.

A 135-A has the stepped transition from the cowl to the front door post similar to '28-'29 phaetons, coupes, roadsters, tudors and pickups. This is special because it is the only fordor appearing body that does now have the seamless flared style commonly found on Cabriolets, Fordors, Town Sedans, and Town Cars.

It is also unique in that it has three hinges on the rear door as opposed to the typical two hinges of a Fordor. This third hinge is in the body moulding.

Another unique feature of it is that the rear quarter window is wider than other fordors as the back part of the vehicle was longer so as to accommodate the divider and jump seat that was provided.

A little over 5,000 of these bodies were produced in 1928 and 1929.

The first modern Taxi picture and the interior picture I included are of a car formerly owned by Vernon Burks, here is a link to a website with more pictures of it. http://www.2040-cars.com/Ford/Model-...a-taxi-900730/

The b/w picture with the chevrons on the back door are of a prototype that was similar but had some minor difference from production.

If you don't own The Model A As Henry Built it you'll want to check it out as there is a lot of detail about these atypical A's.
-Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (33.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 32f35d254b58b2c247b50f49af22cce9.jpg (15.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 12043012_10153311627742880_6203267030946567287_n.jpg (69.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg cb0829-d.jpg (81.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (25.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #25
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
I wonder what vintage wheels are on the car. I had one just like it on an "A" when I was a kid. It was a 16" with solid steel center and spooks on front side.

The wheel was haunted??!!
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #26
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Here it is - the Taxi is constructed like a Tudor, çoupe- pillar' cowl join, same style doors but it is a Fordor. There was no visor as the roof has a lip. Either made/assembled by Briggs or Budd, maybe the former. I would think many ex Taxis ended up being sold off as an older 4 dr Sedan. Cheers. Tom in NZ.

Back in the 60's, I saw a taxi at a show. The owner's story was it had never been in taxi service but was purchased new by a guy who loved cigars. His wife couldn't stand the smoke so she rode in back behind the divider where she couldn't smell it. Undoubtedly BS but a good story nonetheless.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #27
CHuDWah

More info and pix from the MAFFI museum:

http://www.maffi.org/DisplayPages/1929TaxiCab.pdf
Old 01-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #28
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Two more pictures from the same day at Pie Town
Lovely young lady with healthy appetite being checked out by the older young man to her left.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #29
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Back in the 60's, I saw a taxi at a show. The owner's story was it had never been in taxi service but was purchased new by a guy who loved cigars. His wife couldn't stand the smoke so she rode in back behind the divider where she couldn't smell it. Undoubtedly BS but a good story nonetheless.
I once saw a mag. article [ Restorer?] about this car & explained about the cigar smoking husband, so could be true!
For 1930-31 Ford was selling a modified interior Town Sedan as their Taxi model. Really, the Model A was a bit too small as a 4 passenger carrying vehicle [ as required by NY. & other big cities] ; it would have been a tight squeeze with 3 in back seat & 1 facing them in the off set reverse jump seat
Cheers. Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:55 AM   #30
vern hodgson

Maybe the gal in the front seat is with the guy reflected in the rear door glass.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #31
Bud

The first photo is a frame from a movie, note the sprocket notches. Strangely, the orientation of the image is 90 degrees to the path of the film.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #32
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
The first photo is a frame from a movie, note the sprocket notches. Strangely, the orientation of the image is 90 degrees to the path of the film.
That would indicate to me just the opposite. I think the picture was taken with a still camera. Film for those had sprocket holes along the side too and the camera could be help upright or on its side. (portrait or landscape)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #33
Chuck Dempsey

As some of you know, these pics were taken from 1935 to 1945 by United States Farm Security Administration and Office of War Information. They are a gold mine of images from that era. Just zoom in on the map to the county where you live, or were raised, and see how things used to be....

http://photogrammar.yale.edu/map/
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #34
77Birdman

That website is awesome! I can spend hours going through those pics. Sadly none from county, but there are some from neighboring ones.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote