Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Dave Young
Member
 
Dave Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Womelsdorf, PA
Posts: 44
Default Removing an Air Maze filter

Had a leak from my carburetor (29 Tudor) and saw that the Air Maze filter
(mounted directly below it) was soaked with gas.

Reading back over the many threads about the advantages and disadvantages of air filters, I've decided the risk of a fire there is more than I'm willing to take. I've stopped the leak, but I think I want to eliminate the
filter. Simple enough to remove the filter cartridge, but what needs to be done about the filter holder and the U-shape connector to the carburetor?
Is leaving it there (in case I later change my mind) a problem or do I need to remove it ... and do what?

Thanks for your advice.
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

I am not sure I understand you. A picture would be good.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Hoovercw
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 51
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

I just removed the whole thing. Its just one set screw if I remember, I too run with it off most of the time.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
JBill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 616
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Whether to use an air filter or not has got a lot of attention on this board. If you've fixed your leaky carburetor there's really no reason to remove the filter--if you think you'd like to have one. If it was "soaked," you probably had one of the paper filter inserts. I think they come originally with a wire mesh filter (which is what I have) that is not likely, or as likely, to get soaked. I'm not sure if you can get the mesh filter separately if someone before you threw that part away. I know you can get the paper filters. Maybe somebody else knows.

Anyway, Hoovercw is correct, there's just a set screw to remove the whole thing.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
kimeccles
Senior Member
 
kimeccles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Spokane, Washington state
Posts: 202
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

I think this is the way to go. Closest to the original accessory. I would not use paper.

https://www.brattons.com/replacement...ze-filter.html
__________________
engine/frame # late May1930, Briggs body actual build date # indicates late Aug/Sept. 1930 68B fixed seat Cabriolet
kimeccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Jwilli
Senior Member
 
Jwilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 487
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

I use the wire mesh. Bought from Mikes-A- Fordable.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,129
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Wire mesh should be soaked in oil so it traps the dust. When dirty you can rinse in gas and reoil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
mfarley
Member
 
mfarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 37
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Wire mesh should be soaked in oil so it traps the dust. When dirty you can rinse in gas and reoil.
How exactly does this work? Wouldn't the oil drain out of the wire mesh and down to fill the lower cover? Is there a specific oil for this? I have a wire mesh filter but it has always been run dry. I tried a paper one, but it messed with the idle, and the fire thing concerns me.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,129
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarley View Post
How exactly does this work? Wouldn't the oil drain out of the wire mesh and down to fill the lower cover? Is there a specific oil for this? I have a wire mesh filter but it has always been run dry. I tried a paper one, but it messed with the idle, and the fire thing concerns me.


Saturate the screen and let it drip back into the container of oil. After 5 minutes of dripping, install it, and the screen with a light oil coating should trap a lot of dust. Lots of lawn mowers used an oil wetted screen that needed to be rinsed in gas and re oiled.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
jhowes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 638
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

I have been driving Model A's since 1951, some on very dusty roads, on filter and I never had a problem caused by dust in the air. As someone said "Henry didn't think it was necessary" and he was apparently right as so many A's are still running. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
BillCNC
Senior Member
 
BillCNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SoCal Desert
Posts: 309
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

K@N Filter's are a Knock-off of these types of filters. The K@N oil Recharge kit is the best thing for these original screen's.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...-kit/92607_0_0

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K&N.jpg (17.8 KB, 2 views)
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
PalAl
Member
 
PalAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orangeville Illinois
Posts: 53
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
K@N Filter's are a Knock-off of these types of filters. The K@N oil Recharge kit is the best thing for these original screen's.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...-kit/92607_0_0

Regards
Bill
Bill, would the High Boy K&N offered for a Model A change any carb adjustments? Mainly the idle. Is there an air restriction with this type filter? Are you running one? If so do you like it?
Thanks
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,454
Unhappy Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Bill, would the High Boy K&N offered for a Model A change any carb adjustments? Mainly the idle. Is there an air restriction with this type filter? Are you running one? If so do you like it?
Thanks
They provide WAY more air than needed. I sold Vermin which had a VINTAGE, hang down wire mesh filter. The re-pro SMALL paper element is TOO small & makes one run WAY TOO RICH. It's a JOKE & VERY apt to cause a FIRE! They make a LONGER element & a LONGER rod for it, that's a SEMI-JOKE & still prone to FIRES!
Just use the HIGH MOUNT filter with a K&N filter element & be done with it. I'm TIRED of preaching this!
I'd give you a DISGUSTED Smiley Face, but they don't work anymore?????
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #14
PalAl
Member
 
PalAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orangeville Illinois
Posts: 53
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
They provide WAY more air than needed. I sold Vermin which had a VINTAGE, hang down wire mesh filter. The re-pro SMALL paper element is TOO small & makes one run WAY TOO RICH. It's a JOKE & VERY apt to cause a FIRE! They make a LONGER element & a LONGER rod for it, that's a SEMI-JOKE & still prone to FIRES!
Just use the HIGH MOUNT filter with a K&N filter element & be done with it. I'm TIRED of preaching this!
I'd give you a DISGUSTED Smiley Face, but they don't work anymore?????
Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to press your freaky button. I'm new in this hobby and trying to do it right the first time. K&N high boy will be on my motor. Thank you for your dedication to this forum, your experience helps us young and dumb.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,454
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Wire mesh ONLY traps BUTTERFLYS/ROCKS! Use a HIGH-MOUNT air cleaner, with a K&N element & you won't GRIND out your RINGS!
Bill Cleanair
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
wingski
Senior Member
 
wingski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Cave Junction, Oregon
Posts: 432
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Boy, I sure miss the days when we cleaned something up and re-used it instead of throwing it away. I think one of the major things wrong with our society is throwing something away instead of re-using it. The old stone or pumice gas filters, the wire-mesh air filteres, and the toilet paper oil filters. Whoops, you couldn’t re-use one of those.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 AM   #17
3.6rs
Senior Member
 
3.6rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgistan (formerly known as Belgium)
Posts: 561
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Boy, I sure miss the days when we cleaned something up and re-used it instead of throwing it away. I think one of the major things wrong with our society is throwing something away instead of re-using it. The old stone or pumice gas filters, the wire-mesh air filteres, and the toilet paper oil filters. Whoops, you couldn’t re-use one of those.

Mike
And what about the toilet paper ?....
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON
Senior Member
 
BILL WILLIAMSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FRESNO, CA
Posts: 12,454
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
And what about the toilet paper ?....
I have PLENTY, thank you! It lasts a LOOOONG time, if you just use 2 SQUARES. I don't think it would be appreciated in the RECYCLABLES !
SA Bill W.
__________________
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
BILL WILLIAMSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #19
duke36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 888
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

To answer Pal Al question, 3 filters were tried: the mesh, the paper and the washable K&N 6" long. The latter fit the air maze housing and carb. and required very slight carb idle air adjustments compared to no filter. The 1st 2 required more idle adjustment due to air restriction though we have no empirical numbers data to prove this. Other threads suggest the 5.5" or the 6" K&N seem to work OK due to the length of filter medium.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #20
PalAl
Member
 
PalAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Orangeville Illinois
Posts: 53
Default Re: Removing an Air Maze filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
To answer Pal Al question, 3 filters were tried: the mesh, the paper and the washable K&N 6" long. The latter fit the air maze housing and carb. and required very slight carb idle air adjustments compared to no filter. The 1st 2 required more idle adjustment due to air restriction though we have no empirical numbers data to prove this. Other threads suggest the 5.5" or the 6" K&N seem to work OK due to the length of filter medium.
Thank you Duke
Have heard the horror stories of a backfire and then an engine compartment fire. Thought the high boy K&N after market air filter may be a safer option.
Al
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.