Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: title question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Hi Synchro,
Thanks for getting back it sounds like your system may be better. here each insured person chooses their bodily injury limits and thats where it caps out at. on the antique autos our agreed value is similar but to get the salvage back it will cost you 10% of the pay out. when a person registers a car over there since it also comes with that bodily injury insurance how much is it? and how often does it have to be renewed?

Thanks Mitch
Mitch (and others)
Here, there is no reduction in what you get for a wreck. The agreed value is the agreed value but the insurance companies probably find there is no financial benefit for them to try to sell the wreck so they take the easy route - leave it where it is.
As for the cost of registration, for a modern car or an antique on "full registration", it varies a little depending on the size of the car but a good average would be about $600+ per year paid annually.
Now that I've said that, I'm going to add another layer of info. I live in Victoria so I'll tell of our system but other states are similar. For cars over 25 years old we can get a special deal known as a Club Permit. The road authority (VicRoads) runs a system where properly constituted clubs are recognised by them and members of those clubs can get a permit to drive their cars 45 or 90 days per year. The cost is about a pro-rata for the full registration and includes the personal insurance coverage. The driver MUST fill in a log book each time he drives the car, thus keeping track of the days allowed. Failure to complete the log book means you are driving an unregistered car and they have no tolerance for that. The driver must also be a financial member of his club for the period of the permit.
So, for about $70, we get to drive our antique cars on 45 days each year which is plenty for most. For an extra fee, we can buy another 45 days but no more in the 12 month period. I recently drove all the way around Australia towing a camper trailer (9,000 miles) behind one of my A's and did it on a 90 day Club Permit so for us, it is an economical and viable system we value. So much so, that if we become aware of someone cheating on it, an individual or a club will inform VicRoads so that the offender loses the benefit of the system and its integrity is maintained. Fines for breaking the rules are severe. Just one penalty means that paying full registration would have been cheaper.
Hope that gives you an idea how it works here,
Regards,
Synchro
Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #22
cheesehead3

Heres another title question. I just picked up my firs model A it was in a shed since 1985 . Title says 1930 Will the title numbers tell you what model it is? The ID number is A3235170. Title number 8506451067-7

Thank Russ
Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #23
ronn

Surely you don't believe the aforementioned. Technology has brought cities and states and countries together like they are in the next room. We are far more sophisticated than you can ever imagine. And yes terrorists do stand in line to buy tickets at an airport. A prime example was 9-11 !
Wayne

If you believe that Wayne, you are much more confident in our government then I am. Our defense system in this country is extremely weak and fallible.
Regarding export wo a title, that is nearly impossible. Knowing from experience and having sold many pieces of literature throughout the world to those who wish to buy an untitled car here in the states who can not export their vehicle. Try and send a car from here to Canada wo a title and it wont make it across the border..................

Old 01-04-2015, 12:54 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead3 View Post
Heres another title question. I just picked up my firs model A it was in a shed since 1985 . Title says 1930 Will the title numbers tell you what model it is? The ID number is A3235170. Title number 8506451067-7

Thank Russ
Short answer, no, it should tell you if it is a roadster, sedan, coupe, but no further details like 160B. The ID number is just that the number of the car, VIN if you will. The title number is just the number given to that piece of paper and has nothing to do with the physical description of car.

By the way welcome to the hobby!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
ericr

where else but on the Ford Barn can a sincere question about auto titling lead into comments about federal government intrusion, the Civil War, terrorism, etc.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #26
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
where else but on the Ford Barn can a sincere question about auto titling lead into comments about federal government intrusion, the Civil War, terrorism, etc.

Yep and will get a post closed every time.

To Pooch in Australia, sorry I had to close it due to the political turn it took by a few fellas.

Hopefully you got enough information that helped.

Last edited by Cob; 01-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Closed Thread