Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
coatings03

Smile T-5 5 speed trans VS Mitchell overdrive

Hi ford barners,
Just a question relating to higher speed touring at 55 mph. For my application which in your opinion would work better. My speedster is modified with 2 stromberg 81; lake style headers and a model B distributor.

Thank you,
Jim m
coatings03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: T-5 5 speed trans VS Mitchell overdrive

My opinion is go for the Mitchell. You won't have to cut the center cross member to install it or screw around with changing to an open drive shaft.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
denis4x4

Certainly a lot less work to go with the Mitchell.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
kenparker

I have never installed on of he T-5's. Did have to take one out couple years ago. But I have built and installed lots of the F150's. And installed two mitchells - one two months ago.

There is no comparasion in the complication of installing the T-5 and F150 compared to th Mitchell. Mitchell can be installe3d by one person in half a day. The others take two days or more by oneself.

After building f150's for 20 years I love my mitchell in the woody. The main difference is the lack of the syncro, but one gets used to that.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
jhowes

How about cost???? How do the three compare?? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
mike657894

t5. I dont have either. but I dont see overdrives for sale(do you have access to a cheap one or is money no object here?). t5s are cheap. they are strong, at least for this application. the rebuild parts are cheap. you dont have to engage a t5's overdrive. And shifting will be silent always not just when you get it just right. If you are spending money and planning on going faster what are your total costs involved for each?

I try to get everyone to drive my car. I see their face twist and the joy go out of their eyes when I try to explain double clutching. Those who have made it past that part and drove the car loved it. But it takes a more experienced individual to take on double clutching an antique car. They may just fear breaking it. Though I don't think they could its pretty tough.

Last edited by mike657894; 08-27-2019 at 08:32 AM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
I have never installed on of he T-5's. Did have to take one out couple years ago. But I have built and installed lots of the F150's. And installed two mitchells - one two months ago.

There is no comparasion in the complication of installing the T-5 and F150 compared to th Mitchell. Mitchell can be installe3d by one person in half a day. The others take two days or more by oneself.

After building f150's for 20 years I love my mitchell in the woody. The main difference is the lack of the syncro, but one gets used to that.

ken what is the type/model of f150 trans(zf?) Or what year range and engine? Where are the conversion plates available?
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
AL in NY

mike657894- the F150 4 speed OD transmission came in the 84-87 Ford F150 2 wheel drive truck. The bell housing and rear plate for the conversion can be purchased from Mac's Speed Shop in New Zealand. Do an F150 search on this forum and you'll find all the information about the install.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
mike657894

I might have grossly underestimated the costs of a 5 speed conversion. here is a thread with more trans swap info. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...5594&showall=1
Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Railcarmover
BANNED

The mitchell is technically a 2 speed transmission one speed direct rear axle ratio,the other a 26% reduction in ratio.With a hopped up engine it's a great improvement,from 5 to 50 mph in one synchronized shift,2nd low to 2nd high.You can also just drive in high range if you want,my engine has about double stock power and pulls high range out of the hole no problem.If you want to putt around like a stock A leave it in low.

Want a T5? Buy a f150 or an S 10, spur gear transmission is a model a..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
duke36

The Mitchell gives 6 speeds forward, though the F150 (I have both) is smooth shifting especially with lightened flywheel, V8 clutch, etc. For a speedster, possibly the F150 synchro would be faster shifting.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

I prefer the T-5, very smooth and easy shifting, great ratios are available. The Mitchell is nice, and easier to install. The F-150 is not for me, odd gear ratio split. Expenses??? Do your research. I have a T-5 in my Vicky, and had a Ryan in my old tudor. The Ryan is very similar to the Mitchell.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
kenparker

Mike 45678. Al answered most of yur questioons I think. There is more to it than just changing the bell housing and adding an adaptor plate. Bell housing are available from Macs or use a AA bell housing - as I did. The input shaft and the front bearing reatainer must be addresssed. Rear adaptor plate. Shift stick converted. Shorten the drive shaft, Radias rods and Torque tube. All this critical to within a fwe thousandsds of the inch.

I still do some of this work. Juts not kits.

The 26% came rom behind the Ford 302. The 37% came from behind the 6 cyl and the Ford 351. There is also a 41%, but I did not and will not use it - to high OD %
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Ranchero50

What do you have to do to the T5 since the OD gear are on the outside of the case.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon all...I have one question. When considering re-sale value of our cars...Does one or the other of the overdrive solutions give a better resale value? I know that the Bone Stock folks won't normally purchase them but how about the rest of us to tend to have some modifications on our cars? Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #16
gary678*

I have a 1930 A with a T-5 , high compression police head (B), and a 3.78 rear end. It shifts beautifully, at 55 MPH RPM's are at 1800, gas mileage 20 MPG+, and you only have to deal with one shift lever. I love it and never had one problem! I know others that have Mitchells; they are well engineered and owners love them. I think that both are an excellent upgrade; you cannot go wrong with either one.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #17
gary678*

In response to Ernie Vitucci's question about resale value I was only interested in buying an A with a T-5; so resale value depends on what the buyer is looking for.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
Dave in MN

I have experience with the Mitchell and the T-5.

I have a Mitchell in my '29 Phaeton and have driven it over 95,000 miles. No issues and very durable. I like the splitter and have become proficient in shifting without grinding gears. I would do it again.

I installed a T-5 in a recent build and the transmission works good but it caused issues with the brakes. I tried to set the car up with Ted's latest floater kit and failed. The reason, was that the T-5 kit replacement service brake cross shaft is moved back a few inches from the stock location. The original location of the cross shaft is at the u-joint coupling centerline of movement. Having the cross shaft moved back introduces some movement in the brake rods when the rear of the car raises or lowers when going over road bumps. Ted's Floater kits rely heavily on proper brake rod length adjustment when setting up and operation. This varying geometry in the brake rods, when going over a good sized bump, would apply the brakes when the car body was on rebound. I tried multiple times to adjust and had some Club members with much more experience then I had with floater kits help and we all failed. I switched over to hydraulic brakes to solve the problem.

IMO: The T-5 is still the best option that I am familiar with for the car I installed it in based on how I plan to use it. I have a "B" engine in this car that produces about 80 hp and wanted the extra strength of the T-5 transmission and wanted a synchronized gear system that is friendly to an inexperienced driver (wife).

The time spent installing a T-5 kit is 4 times the work of installing a Mitchell and for me, after installing the hydraulic brakes, about $2,000.00 more in cost.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-28-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
CarlG

I have not had or even driven the T5 or a Mitchell. I do have the F150 Tremec transmission. Mine was a complete bolt in kit with no modifications to the vehicle. Fairly easy install. Essentially gives me the same gears as a stock Model A + 26% OD and all synchronized gears.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Doug in Maryland

Has anyone here put a T5 in an AA or know of anyone who has? There is more room behind the stock transmission, 4-speed or 3-speed, but I don't know if it would be enough room to not have to fabricate an open drive shaft conversion as you might with an A. I seem to remember that Mitchell made an overdrive for the bevel gear rear axle AA's but I haven't heard much about that lately.
Doug in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote