Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #21
revkev6

Default Re: Toyota Cellica steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
At my age, it's my job to keep these old Ford running any way I can. T present the cost of keeping them running is getting out of site with the stock stuff, so alittle ingenuity is needed.

that box in your video looks pretty monstrous though.

as for the guy who said the frame flexes, he's completely correct. I drive a 36 ford coupe stock car with a vega box (I think, I didn't install it) I started going over the car when I was asked to put it on the track. the outside frame rail has a 3/8" plate welded to it for crash bar reinforcemetns. on the inside rail is a boxing plate that the steering box is mounted to. we were changing the car so it fit me better when I grabbed the steering shaft by hand to check for slop in the box. grabbing the 3/4" shaft by hand I could make the frame flex enough to see the box move. scared me to death. ended up gusseting it into the front crossmember which cut the flex down by 50% but it's still not something at sits well with me!!
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Ol' Ron

The box is smaller than the 525 it replaced, but it's not a toy. Works great.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #23
philipswanson

My son had an old Toyota truck, about an 85 or so. It wouldn't hold oil because it had a direct pressure leak out the front of the engine. When he would come over to visit, I would poor the old oil from my oil changes in it because it wasn't worth the money for new oil because it would just pump it overboard. He drove it that way with no oil in the pan for years. I always thought that an engine needed oil to keep running until I saw that Toyota. Finally the transmission went out.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote