Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: 81’s tri power or dual 97’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Take whatever time needed on the bench to get the progressive linkage set up perfectly, so that both end carbs are precisely and fully closed at idle, with the idle adjustment screws backed completely off. Do that with the carb tops off of the carb base so that you can easily see the throttle plates. If the throttle plates are not perfectly centered or stick a little, fix them. Completely close the idle jet adjustments on both end carbs so that idle adjustment is all on the center carb. Don't go cheap on the progressive linkage as the cheap stuff tends to flex and adjustments slip. One of the end carbs pulls or pushes the other end carb; you can take the accelerator pump spring off of (or simply unhook) that carb to lessen the strain on the linkage.

I put 2" risers on my tri-power, which enabled me to invert the progressive linkage. That way I could use banjo fittings for plumbing fuel lines to the carbs, and I could retain the manual throttle control on the center carb. Took just a little grinding on one end riser and the underside of the fuel pump to get clearance for the linkage.
Moderators take note, I am going to create controversy here.

In the first place the photo is out of focus. That is definitely not consistent with an aerospace engineer.
Next is plastic fuel line. NO WAY is safe.
The progressive linkage in the photo is mechanically perfect and should work forever.

While progressive linkage can be made to work ok, straight linkage will out perform it in ALL categories every time.
This has been proven many times on the dyno in actual driving simulations.
Believe it or not, where the straight linkage shows best is at low throttle settings where most people think it should be worst. It is due to more even fuel distribution from the mixture travel path being more equal to all cylinders.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #22
Daveyjonez

Thanks Pete, I will reach out when setting up my fuel system.
Daveyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
Ronnieroadster

Pete as usual your telling what needs to be told good for you and a big Thank You. Now I bet the economy posts might start look out. LOL
Multi carbs and economy will never be a match.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #24
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Moderators take note, I am going to create controversy here.

In the first place the photo is out of focus. That is definitely not consistent with an aerospace engineer.
Next is plastic fuel line. NO WAY is safe.
The progressive linkage in the photo is mechanically perfect and should work forever.

While progressive linkage can be made to work ok, straight linkage will out perform it in ALL categories every time.
This has been proven many times on the dyno in actual driving simulations.
Believe it or not, where the straight linkage shows best is at low throttle settings where most people think it should be worst. It is due to more even fuel distribution from the mixture travel path being more equal to all cylinders.
Clear vinyl fuel lines from Summit Racing; not plastic. Perfectly safe. I love to watch the bubbles when it is vapor locking. Sorry about the blurry picture. Get almost 17 mpg on the highway.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #25
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Pete as usual your telling what needs to be told good for you and a big Thank You. Now I bet the economy posts might start look out. LOL
Multi carbs and economy will never be a match.
Ronnieroadster

I still run one carburetor. Something is wrong.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #26
Bored&Stroked

In the end, I believe I have too few carbs, bad fuel economy and I'm going to do something about both! One will get better and one will probably get worse . . . LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #27
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
In the end, I believe I have too few carbs, bad fuel economy and I'm going to do something about both! One will get better and one will probably get worse . . . LOL

I'm just a driver guy. No dog in this hunt.

Best to however you want to do what you do.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote