Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Painting Over Evaporust?

Rust on my exhaust manifolds was pretty beyond moderate. I thoroughly power brushed them and soaked in slightly used Evaporust, then brushed again, and soaked... They now look pretty good but feel sticky. Not my idea of an ideal paint base. Jasco s pretty much the same but Evapo.. may not bean as acidic. Should I rinse, rebrush or hi pH wash? Or Not? Thanks: Fred A.
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
swedishsteel

Default Re: Painting Over Evaporust?

This doesn't directly answer your question but Rustoleum High Heat primer and paint works SUPER. You have to sandblast your manifold first. Three years ago I sandblasted the exhaust manifolds on the '55 Tbird and put two coats of primer and three coats of paint. They still look they did coming out of the oven, and we've driven the car quite a bit since. Follow the directions on the can--essentially let dry and then bake at three different temps, each hotter than the previous. I have an old kitchen oven in the shop I use. If you use Mama's make sure she is gone for a couple days because it does smell some. At present I'm rebuilding a 7.3 idi diesel and used Rustoleum on the manifolds. It has a turbo and I didn't want to take it and the downpipe assembly apart, so I didn't sand blast, just wire wheeled and brushed as best as I could and then put the rustoleum on. It will be interesting how that looks after a year compared to the manifolds, which I sandblasted first. If it comes off, I don't care because you can't see it any way because most of it is covered with heat shield. I did it mostly for education on how the paint stands up with some rust underneath it. Happy New Year every body. Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Rust on my exhaust manifolds was pretty beyond moderate. I thoroughly power brushed them and soaked in slightly used Evaporust, then brushed again, and soaked... They now look pretty good but feel sticky. Not my idea of an ideal paint base. Jasco s pretty much the same but Evapo.. may not bean as acidic. Should I rinse, rebrush or hi pH wash? Or Not? Thanks: Fred A.
Wash with water. ER doesn't leave a coating, it dissolves the rust. ER is not acidic.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Tinker

Wire brush it and wash with soap and water. Paint once dry, don't wait.

Paint isn't going to last too long in my opinion.

Depending on color that you want, this works well. Cast iron appearance.

Link is to macs but if you search the product you can get it about anywhere.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

amazon "speedway"
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Stuff-Exh...Dressing&psc=1

I've used Calyx and it is a good product. Not sure if the knockoff is as good, or whatever.

Just an option also.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-30-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
paul2748

I bought Calyx and did a set of manifolds. Will never use it again. It does not "dry", is always "wet" and will rub off and will stain anything that touches it. It does look good, I don't know how it will last as I put in on about two months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Wire brush it and wash with soap and water. Paint once dry, don't wait.

Paint isn't going to last too long in my opinion.

Depending on color that you want, this works well. Cast iron appearance.

Link is to macs but if you search the product you can get it about anywhere.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

amazon "speedway"
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Stuff-Exh...Dressing&psc=1

I've used Calyx and it is a good product. Not sure if the knockoff is as good, or whatever.

Just an option also.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
3twinridges

I would wash it in really hot water and hit it with an air compressor to keep it from flash rusting and then paint from there.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I bought Calyx and did a set of manifolds. Will never use it again. It does not "dry", is always "wet" and will rub off and will stain anything that touches it. It does look good, I don't know how it will last as I put in on about two months ago.
I've painted a "couple" exhaust manifolds, if you're going to ceramic coat, that'd last.

Stop touching your exhaust manifolds... It is like anti-seize, it will get everywhere if your not careful. Maybe what it's made off? Don't know... It is a slow dry. It burned off for me after a couple of runs, and didn't rub off.

2 months? I guess that's only a month away from paint burning up. In a couple of yrs let me know how it is. I'm curious on your results.

I wish they made more colors really.

Use whatever you like!

*** I should add my experience was on my old 53. It worked well for yrs.

My current manifolds are burnt rust color. Just like from ford...

Last edited by Tinker; 12-30-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
alanwoodieman

I sandblast exhaust manifolds, then wash with ospho-wash again with warm water- blow dry- heat manifolds up ( I use and old oven from goodwill) then paint with high heat BBQ black which is sort of gray, my 40 was done like this in 1992 and still looks good
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Fred A

With the Evapo-Rust the rust seems to keep coming and leaves a dark shiny coat that seems water soluble. I'm trying the pressure washer and quick heat. With all the aggressive wire brushing the manifolds are looking much better. VHT will follow. No matter what the rat crowd says, in the old days our cars weren't rusty POS but were young as we were. They've been watching too much Mad Max. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
SofaKing

Quote:
With the Evapo-Rust the rust seems to keep coming and leaves a dark shiny coat that seems water soluble. I'm trying the pressure washer and quick heat. With all the aggressive wire brushing the manifolds are looking much better. VHT will follow. No matter what the rat crowd says, in the old days our cars weren't rusty POS but were young as we were. They've been watching too much Mad Max. Thanks: Fred A
Evaporust does leave a film that is water soluable and per directions can be left on as a rust preventative. That film is not meant to be permanent and will not last. I used a little soapy water to remove the film followed by typical prep prior to painting. I have used dry film graphite lubricant on motorcycle exhaust pipes to give them a dark grey color. It was baked on and quite durable for more than a decade needing only occasional touch-up when the color would lighten.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
redmodelt

If you read some of the cans of exhaust manifold paint, they require curing to set. Which can mean going thru several heat cycles.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Tinker

Quote:

I'm very far away from being in the a "rat" crowd!
Old 01-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I sandblast exhaust manifolds, then wash with ospho-wash again with warm water- blow dry- heat manifolds up ( I use and old oven from goodwill) then paint with high heat BBQ black which is sort of gray, my 40 was done like this in 1992 and still looks good
Yes, black BBQ paint is the best deal in high heat coatings. Bast bang for the buck you're going to find!

If you want different colors, VHT offers something they call 'Flame Proof Coating'. It comes in an aerosol can, and seems to be as much of a powder as it is a spray. I use to use it for headers years ago. Was about the only thing that didn't burn off. Didn't go very far, as a set of long tube headers for a mustang took 3 cans. lol

Regardless of the type of paint/coating that is used, curing it in stages is a wise move.

Good Luck!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
B-O-B

I use dupli-color & have had good success.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
B-O-B

Oops new plug wires 2.jpgforgot the pic. Been on over a couple of years & holding up well
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
Ford coupe

Red face Re: Painting Over Evaporust?

Quote:
I have done my 36 and 55 manifolds by sandblast and then a couple coats of eastwood cast iron grey and install and run car for about 10 minutes and it is at least 5 yrs and lookin good..My dimes worth
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
Daves55Sedan

In 2008, I had a set of exhaust manifolds for a 272 Y-block sandblasted. I applied a light coat of Rust-O-Leum High Heat Primer, then used two coats of high temperature ENAMEL as an overcoat. Installed and ran engine immediately after overcoat was dry, getting manifolds hot for about an hour. If not installing immediately, put finished manifolds in an oven and bake. (but ovens only go up to about 450 degrees), so I think it best to cure at higher temperatures.
Anyway, my exhaust manifolds look nearly as good as the day I installed them. Only few small rust spots at deep pitted areas. Enamel dried and hardened as I hoped it would and does not rub off. I can even step on the manifolds when I am in there adjusting distrib points and it does not hurt the enamel.
I have tried ceramic paints on manifolds before, but the ceramic flakes off pretty quickly. Waste of time!
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #18
Tinker

I guess I have a different opinion here. Also any original ford engine I've seen, has very little paint on the exhaust manifolds (probably because they were not painted). About the same on the block that was painted.

Update as you go along, if you will.