Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Ford coupe

Question Wire disc on 55

Can someone tell me what problems I will have installing a set of wire wheel discs on my 55..I have a bit of an idea as to how the clips work but wonder about the faceplate on the continental? Do I need to take the cover ring off plus the facelate and do I need to do any mods to the partial faceplate itself as it now covers the wheel completely to the original wheel cover..So I really don't want to spend a pile to get into a pile of trouble that is..PS This is the original style cont kit..Thanks Barners
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Wire disc on 55

Are you asking about on a '55 Thunderbird, or something else?
The original wire basket style wheelcovers in '55/'56 were held on with spring clips. After-market versions are available that snap on like most all newer wheelcovers.

There was no "factory" cont kit on '55 T-Birds but there were a few after-market and/or 'dealer installed' versions, as well as diy projects.

>edit<
Is this for the '55 Crown Vic you've mentioned in other posts? Close-up photos of the existing 'as installed' opening in your spare tire cover may help.
The wire basket style wheelcover does cover the outer lip of the wheel, approx 12mm in depth and is also slightly larger in diameter than the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 kit x's 2.jpg (46.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 55 with cont kit.jpg (61.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160524_165200619.jpg (41.2 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-17-2017 at 09:38 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Ford coupe

OK i have been on here before and my car is a 55 crown vic..The faceplate on my continental kit looks much like the one on the green bird but the original wheel cover does not sit down inside the faceplate but rather rests on top edge and actually covers a bit of the faceplate So is it possible that the new wire covers just cover a bit more of the faceplate??? Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Ford coupe

PS could not bring the black or blue in for a better piture..Enlarge that is..
Old 12-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
PS could not bring the black or blue in for a better piture..Enlarge that is..
Enlarged them a bit for you.
They're photos I copied from somewhere so there wasn't too much I could do with them.

There is no cover panel over the tire on the black car. What almost looks like a white tire cover is actually the wide whitewall.

55 with kit 2c.jpg

55 with kit c.jpg

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-03-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Ford coupe

OK the turquise bird has the same faceplate as mine i am sure as the disc fits over the top of the faceplate as mine would..Now the do i or dont i They sure are pretty..THANKS Harry
Old 12-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
...The faceplate on my continental kit looks much like the one on the green bird but the original wheel cover does not sit down inside the faceplate but rather rests on top edge and actually covers a bit of the faceplate So is it possible that the new wire covers just cover a bit more of the faceplate??? Thanks
Quote:
OK the turquise bird has the same faceplate as mine i am sure as the disc fits over the top of the faceplate as mine would..Now the do i or dont i They sure are pretty..THANKS Harry
Yes. The wire basket wheel cover ring is a larger diameter than the other wheel covers.

If you've never had the pleasure of having these on a set of wheels....
Photo 1. The spring clips hook onto the outer lip of the wheel and have another hook at the inner end to fasten into a lip on the back of the wheel cover ring. (photo 2) The square-ish rubber piece on the spring clip is to keep the wheel cover from rattling against the wheel or rubbing on the tire.

Photo 3. Side view of back side

Photo 4. Overall outside diameter of the wire wheel cover ring. Approx 16 & 5/8 inches. (422mm)

Photo 5. Outside diameter of the center tapered portion. Approx 13 & 3/8 inches. (340mm)

I would imagine something could be used to prevent the outer back edge of the wheel cover ring from scuffing the paint around the opening in the spare tire cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171217_1c.jpg (30.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171217_2c.jpg (28.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171217_3c.jpg (61.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171217_4c.jpg (63.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171217_5c.jpg (50.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171218_111039531.jpg (96.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 12-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: Wire disc on 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Yes. The wire basket wheel cover ring is a larger diameter than the other wheel covers.

If you've never had the pleasure of having these on a set of wheels....
Photo 1. The spring clips hook onto the outer lip of the wheel and have another hook at the inner end to fasten into a lip on the back of the wheel cover ring. (photo 2) The square-ish rubber piece on the spring clip is to keep the wheel cover from rattling against the wheel or rubbing on the tire.

Photo 3. Side view of back side

Photo 4. Overall outside diameter of the wire wheel cover ring. Approx 16 & 5/8 inches. (422mm)

Photo 5. Outside diameter of the center tapered portion. Approx 13 & 3/8 inches. (340mm)

I would imagine something could be used to prevent the outer back edge of the wheel cover ring from scuffing the paint around the opening in the spare tire cover.
Excuse me please for Walking Through The Graveyard, but I was Carousing With My Browser and need some info if you will...

The wire wheel cover itself, did it "push-in - swivel" with those retaining clips to go against the wheel/tire assy?

(Let's see how long this photo will stay up... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wire Wheel Cover.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BIRD- 55 w CONT KIT _6.jpg (96.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel Cover- B5A 1130-E _1.jpg (55.6 KB, 2 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
dmsfrr

KULTULZ, The wire basket portion pushes/pulls straight in and out on the flat springs.
The springs flex enough to create an over-center effect that can hold it out, or firmly in against the rubber bumpers.

For Ford coupe, I found another photo of the wheel opening in a tire cover, although with wire wheels on a '56 Bird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160912_101112459.jpg (88.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-03-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
KULTULZ

APPRECIATE THAT!

I learned something today...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote