Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default Sponsoring a car for local Auto shop class

Our club is in the early stages of sponsoring a car for our local high school auto shop. Have any of you done this and if so how did it work out? Any details will be appreciated. basically we would donate a Model A in whatever condition we can find and the students will then restore it and auction it off. (Sell it somehow) That money would be put into the next Model A project. What the teacher cannot provide in experience we will, to keep the project moving forward. I have mixed emotions on this as I live two blocks from the school and don't want to become a full time volunteer at the class.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Sponsoring a car for local Auto shop class

Davey, You might contact the Pasadena High School Model A Club. They have restored and raffled off two Model As now. They are sponsored by Santa Anita A's Model A Ford Club. I believe Tom Endy is a member. https://www.pusd.us/Page/5122

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Jim Brierley

The Adirondack A's Model A Youth Program in NY has been restoring Model A's for a few years now, and auctioning them off. You might want to contact them too? I have been supporting them by supplying them with re-ground cams, so if you do get involved, let this Board know, and maybe Facebook, you may get some help?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
ronn

why not donate a model A chassis for them to rebuild. Then get drafting and design involved in the body and woodshop to build the body.

this way you are getting "everyone" involved.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
rotorwrench

These thing depend several factors as to whether they will be successful or not. With young students, the parents attitude toward their education is a part, the instructor of the class plays a large part in getting and keeping the students interest, and the attitude of the schools administration can play a part too.

A local fellow allowed a local school to "restore" an 8N Ford tractor. When he got it back it was missing a lot of parts and was not near completion. The local Snap On dealer helped the guy with some needed parts and volunteered his time and another fellow helped him get it back to usable condition.

I would think long and hard about it first and ask the instructor a lot of questions about the proposed plan and contingency plan if things don't flow well.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote