Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #21
koates

Default Re: Out for a drive on a nice day

OK do this test. Remove the field wire off its terminal on the voltage regulator and connect it onto the "A" (armature) terminal on the regulator. Connect your voltmeter test leads on a ground and the "A" terminal on the regulator. Run engine at speed for a minute and tell me the volt reading. What this does is test the generator voltage output without the regulator having any control. If your car has a dash ammeter then the charge should go off the end of the scale when the engine is revved up. Of course the cut out inside the regulator box is still in the circuit. Let me know the results. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #22
mercman from oz

Love your Truck. Looking good.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:28 AM   #23
mercman from oz

Over 40 years ago, I had the opportunity to buy this Australian 1946 Ford Freighter. Ford Australia called these pickups Freighters. These models Pickups and Trucks are referred to locally as "jail bar" Fords. The post-war models added a Quarter Window, which the pre-war models lacked.
Notice the different Pickup Bed that was the width of the Cabin and full height. Ford Australia never offered the narrow pickup bed, like those fitted to USA models for many years.
I know that this model was before the introduction of the F100 name, but just for the record, Ford Australia didn't introduce the F100 name until the 1955 models, which were the first to use the OHV V8 Engine, as like Canada, we were one year behind the USA in introducing the OHV Y BLock V8.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I took my 45 jailbar truck out to run some errands and to visit a friend. Here is a photo taken during my travels. I am still having charging problems,which I may describe later, but I can take it on short jaunts and make it home. Good to get it out for a decent drive today to the post office, Best Buy and to visit my friend!
I'm sure I asked when you first got this pickup, but can't find it.
So I'll ask again, do you know what the colour is called?
Absolutely love the pickup, and the colour is fantastic.
Many thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
RalphM

Beautiful truck! I had a 45 years ago, same color too.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #26
mhsprecher

Very cool truck Mercman. Like the Model A Ford Deluxe trucks in concept.

When I saw my truck for sale, I just had to have it. I should have looked it over more, as it had a few problems, but I guess they all do. I should have bargained harder for it. Jailbar trucks are so homely, they are beautiful. When I was in high school, a local mechanic had one that he put a Mopar V8 and automatic in. I can't remember the exact engine, but maybe a 318?

Koates: Another FBer suggested putting the ARM and BAT wires both on the ARM terminal on the VR. It buried the Amp gauge on the charge side. As it was just me, I didn't check the voltage reading on my multimeter while doing that, but my son is home, so we can check that out together and see what the reading is.

Scooder, I need to look the color up again. I cannot recall offhand, but I will surely let you know.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #27
5851a

Nice truck, The color chrome and WW.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #28
mhsprecher

I connected the ARM and BAT wires to the ARM terminal, as suggested by Koates and another BF-er. It pretty much pegged the AMP needle when revved. Connecting the multimeter to ground and the ARM terminal on the VR gave me a 7 volt reading when revving.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #29
koates

Quote:
I connected the ARM and BAT wires to the ARM terminal, as suggested by Koates and another BF-er. It pretty much pegged the AMP needle when revved. Connecting the multimeter to ground and the ARM terminal on the VR gave me a 7 volt reading when revving.
I DID NOT advise you to connect ARM and BAT wires to the ARM terminal. If you concentrate hard and re read my post #21 and do that test. If you cant do that test then I am probably wasting my time. Others are giving you incorrect testing information. I have been an Auto Electrician for over 50 years and know what I am talking about, not just guessing. Do that test as I posted in #21 and get back to me. Regards, Kevin.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #30
mhsprecher

Yep. Reading one thing and thinking something else. Like in grade school, "Does not follow instructions." :-)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #31
Sixseven

Quote:
Yep. Reading one thing and thinking something else. Like in grade school, "Does not follow instructions." :-)
Like your the only one that does that! Hand me that life preserver, I'm in the same boat as you.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #32
Cecil/WV

Are you testing the voltage at the battery when revving up??
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #33
mhsprecher

Cecil, yes I am. No change at the battery, around 6.13 at idle and revving.

I am heading out to do the Koates test the right way this time! ;-)

A funny story about reading correctly. I went to run a 5K race yesterday, one that I did years ago. At what should have been mile 3, there was no marker and on I went. Then I hit mile 4, so I realized that it was a 5 MILE race, not a 5K. It was a beautiful day and I did fine, just over 11 minute miles, which at my age and level of fitness, was just fine by me. ;-)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
I DID NOT advise you to connect ARM and BAT wires to the ARM terminal. If you concentrate hard and re read my post #21 and do that test. If you cant do that test then I am probably wasting my time. Others are giving you incorrect testing information. I have been an Auto Electrician for over 50 years and know what I am talking about, not just guessing. Do that test as I posted in #21 and get back to me. Regards, Kevin.
You might want to be a little carful about assuming where the problem is arising here! I was the one helping him through PM and here is a quote of what I provided:

"Remove the generator field wire from its terminal on the regulator and move it across and connect it to the "ARM" terminal on the regulator. This will bypass the voltage and current controls in the regulator but leave the cut out to operate as normal. Start the engine and rev it up to around 2000 RPM and observe your dash ammeter or battery gauge (voltmeter) on some models. You should have a very high reading here because the generator is uncontrolled. If there is no charge then more than likely the generator is at fault."
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #35
mhsprecher

I have been getting advice from a couple of FBers and a couple local guys. The buck stops with the person applying the advice, which is me!

Anyway, I did as I was originally instructed and I am getting around 10v at speed, which is the throttle pulled out about an inch. I estimate around 2x idle or so.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #36
koates

JSeery, With respect, why do I have to be careful ? How am I to know you have been advising mhsprecher via PMs. Other information given him to faultfind the problem has not been constructive. Seems my advice in post #21 is almost the same as your PM which is the correct way to start faultfinding this charging system malfunction. You are doing well so I will not post any more and leave it up to you. Regards, Kevin.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #37
mhsprecher

The color of the truck is Holly Green. That was in documentation that came with the truck. Supposedly a standard Ford color. I have not tried to confirm that with any other source.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #38
edhd58

Not wanting to steal a thread but, here's what I did Friday. A local car museum has a 41 Ford parked out front and I wanted some pics of my 42 next to it. I got the okay and here's what turned out. I took more pictures but they are just slightly different angles of these.

The museum is open to the public and the owner has more cars than will fit in it so he rotates them periodically.
It is in Elizabethtown ,KY. About an hour south of Louisville and about 30 minutes from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161202_143955.jpg (50.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20161202_143823.jpg (63.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20161202_144135.jpg (64.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20161202_144112.jpg (63.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20161202_143859_HDR.jpg (42.1 KB, 26 views)
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote