Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 Ranch Wagon Motor Mount question.

I am getting ready to install the Gen 4 Vintage Air AC system in my 55 that has the 302 engine. The crank pulley that is there now only has one groove on it. I needed a 3 groove pulley cause of the new AC unit and power steering. I have the new 3 groove pulley and I installed it yesterday but I noticed that the bottom of the pulley is hitting the stabilizer bar and will not turn. So I guess what I need to do is raise the engine up about an inch so the pulley has enough clearance.
The problem is that if I raise the engine up,the bolt on the motor mount that passes tru the frame will not be long enough where I can put the washer and nut to fasten the engine mount to the frame. I need some suggestions on how to take care of this problem. Thanks for your help.Here is the mount that is currently in the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1321[1].jpg (60.6 KB, 22 views)
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon Motor Mount question.

Remove the two bolts that hold it to the block. Replace with bolts one inch longer and add a one inch long piece of 1/2 or 3/4 pipe, or tubing.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
poolplayer1

Sounds like a good idea to me Ole Don. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Will spacers between the stabilizer bar and frame lower that bar enough to help? Adding thinner spacers to both may be easier than thick spacers in only the motor mount(s). Or, just thick spacers to lower the stabilizer bar???

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-26-2020 at 03:46 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
poolplayer1

Thanks dmsfrr. Will putting spacers in the stab.bar affect the stability of the front end? Just wondering. I will be working on it later this morning.I'm trying to come up with the best solution for this problem. Another thing that I am wondering about is while I am raising the engine up about an inch,the fan will now come up higher on the radiator and will not be centered on the rad.like it is now.Would this affect the cooling amount to the radiator?
Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
Thanks dmsfrr. Will putting spacers in the stab.bar affect the stability of the front end? ...
I can't see the parts you're looking at but if you're only lowering the two frame mounts of the sway bar a little bit and it's firmly mounted when bolted back together, it shouldn't make any difference. Find or make some (full length) flat spacers that support the middle of the rubber mount when the bar pushes up towards the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer1 View Post
... Another thing that I am wondering about is while I am raising the engine up about an inch,the fan will now come up higher on the radiator and will not be centered on the rad.like it is now.Would this affect the cooling amount to the radiator?
Being un-centered by an inch shouldn't make a noticeable difference in cooling. (imho)
If the radiator has a fan shroud the fan might hit the top edge of it. Also check clearance to the upper radiator hose.
The lower arc of the fan will get slightly closer to the radiator, not sure how much clearance it has now but it shouldn't be less than an inch (preferably a bit more) so the next pothole doesn't bounce the spinning fan into the radiator..
The lower radiator hose may need to become slightly longer where it attaches to the water-pump.
Also check the height of the air cleaner to the hood. (just more reasons to lower the sway-bar instead, as long as it doesn't hit anything either)

Not being able to see what you're working with makes it harder to suggest something but, IF you can easily lower the sway bar frame mounts it may take less work & create less unintended consequences than raising the engine.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
poolplayer1

I looked under the car to see if I could put spacers in the sway bar to lower it down.Bad thing is that the sway bar is only about 3/4 of inch above the lower control arm. In other words,I can only lower the sway bar about 3/4 of inch because of the control arm being right underneath the sway bar. Now,if I decide to raise the motor about an inch,I will need spacers behind the motor mounts so that the mount main bolt goes tru the frame and than I can put the washer and nut on that bolt. Question is? Will raising the engine up an inch cause any unbalance between the motor,tranny,and driveline?
Just wondering. I do have enough space between the rear of the motor and the firewall,no problem there at all.
This new 3 groove crank pulley that I have now is pretty big in diameter and thats why it hits the sway bar.It measures 6 5/8 inch in diameter. I wonder if they make a smaller 3 groove pulley that will fit better in this 302 motor.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
JeffB2

Your problem is you got bad advice as to what mounts to use,what you have makes the engine sit too low use these and it will be fine: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-mounts.41498/ I have a the 302 with A/C. READ the notes under the pictures too. Using spacers is a total Mickey Mouse fix.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
poolplayer1

Thanks JeffB2. I didn't know about this mounts at all. I will check with autozone and see if they have them here or can order them for me. My frame has the 2 slotted holes like in the picture. Do you think the bolt from the new mount might match one of those slotted holes or I might have to cut and make it a one long slot so that the new mount bolt will go in.
Apreciate your help and others that have had suggestions for me.